Extremely light braid

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cast-away Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extremely light braid
    Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 4:20pm
Cast-away View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey team

Interesed in peoples thoughts on the new shimano Kairiki braid as have just bought a new 1-2kg setup with a 1000 reel and looking to run a nice thin 8 weave braid for extra touch. I was previously running 2-4kg rod w 2500 reel and 6lb 832 which was awesome but I see the Kairiki 6lb 8 weave is down to 0.08mm compared to the 0.14 of the 832. Was hoping to get some feedback from anyone's experience with the product.

Cheers in advance...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 6:41pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try it and report back, it looks to be high quality, good to cast, good to lay on reel, smooth drag through the water.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:30pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Forget about it, just get some YGK g-soul x8 upgrade in PE0.6 and be done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spudnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 8:22pm
Spudnik View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I bought a shimano sb reel which came spooled with some 10lb kairiki. It's ok for light shallow water fishing, but compared to the 8x J braid (15lb) I run on my oh jig setup, it's not as smooth.
Buckler of Swashes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cast-away Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 12:19pm
Cast-away View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Makka Where do you get that in NZ or do you buy it online from offshore.

I'm also looking at Ryujin PE0.4

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 9:46am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got mine from JPAngler, I have purchased from there a few times and the service is great, postage is quicker than most Nz based sellers too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Great White Aussie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 1:26pm
Great White Aussie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Slightly off topic a bit , but .....

Lots of Japanese sites sell great quality Braid ....

Just a pity sometimes that our best "Local" go to stores can not compete ..

So much for so called "Open Trade Agreements" through Government Initiatives.

I really try to stick to "local Stores" , like thay say, keep money in-house and keep the

economy going, nothing worse than seeing the Local Stores going under ....

Back on topic now ...

YGK g-soul x8 is a good braid  

The Power Pro Maxcuatro ,a good braid, thin dia, but as always has the price tag too

Cheers  Great White Aussie ......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 3:36pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Cast-away Cast-away wrote:

Hey team

Interesed in peoples thoughts on the new shimano Kairiki braid as have just bought a new 1-2kg setup with a 1000 reel and looking to run a nice thin 8 weave braid for extra touch. I was previously running 2-4kg rod w 2500 reel and 6lb 832 which was awesome but I see the Kairiki 6lb 8 weave is down to 0.08mm compared to the 0.14 of the 832. Was hoping to get some feedback from anyone's experience with the product.

Cheers in advance...

What does the Kairiki 6lb braid actually test at? I use and sell Tasline Elite All white series braid. The lightest they do is 8lb which is a 6 strand braid and has a ABS of 14.2 lb.
Awesome braid, very soft and thin for its BS (0.115mm)
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 8:35am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Great White Aussie Great White Aussie wrote:

Slightly off topic a bit , but .....

Lots of Japanese sites sell great quality Braid ....

Just a pity sometimes that our best "Local" go to stores can not compete ..

So much for so called "Open Trade Agreements" through Government Initiatives.

I really try to stick to "local Stores" , like thay say, keep money in-house and keep the

economy going, nothing worse than seeing the Local Stores going under ....

Back on topic now ...

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">YGK g-soul x8 is a good braid  </span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">The </span>Power Pro Maxcuatro ,a good braid, thin dia, but as always has the price tag too

Cheers  Great White Aussie ......

If local stores stocked what I was after, I would shop there.
90% of what I use just isn't available in NZ and the stores don't want to stock it.

The tasline that Kaveman speaks of is great line too, I haven't tried the lighter stuff so I can't recommend it but the 20 and 50lb I use is second to none
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cast-away Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 11:03am
Cast-away View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I actually ended up going for Daiwa Tournament evo 8 braid in 8lb measuring at 0.10mm they also do 6lb in 0.8mm which I may try depending on how I go with the 8lb. I am after super sensitive touch over everything else for softbaiting in 10-20m over the sand in spot X. Certainly a little more pricey but after spending good dollars on my new gear want to run good braid, had to get it out of Aus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 12:20pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use the 12lb Tasline Elite braid 8 carrier amazing braid. The 8lb would be sweet for a 1-2kg setup. It’s so so thin and smooth. I got mine from Kaveman Tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 7:28pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishing Addiction Fishing Addiction wrote:

I use the 12lb Tasline Elite braid 8 carrier amazing braid. The 8lb would be sweet for a 1-2kg setup. It’s so so thin and smooth. I got mine from Kaveman Tackle

Ditto, except Kaveman hadn't started stocking it, so got it from Busted.
Also have the 8lb for light soft baiting; 50lb for medium top water; and 80lb for top water off the rocks. very happy with all of them.
I find the bright white line excellent for visibility, as well as the casting attributes.
The one thing i can't understand is why they go from 6 strand in 8lb (understandable given the diameter), to 8 strand for the 12lb, then back to 6 strand for the 15lb?

After advice from Makka a while back, i also got some YGK braid for my other soft baiting reel (heavier rating than the 12lb). 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 8:01pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Also have the 8lb for light soft baiting; 50lb for medium top water; and 80lb for top water off the rocks. very happy with all of them.
I find the bright white line excellent for visibility, as well as the casting attributes.
The one thing i can't understand is why they go from 6 strand in 8lb (understandable given the diameter), to 8 strand for the 12lb, then back to 6 strand for the 15lb?

After advice from Makka a while back, i also got some YGK braid for my other soft baiting reel (heavier rating than the 12lb). 

Agree, i will ask them why the change in 6 to 8 strands for different weights
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 10:17pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Agree, i will ask them why the change in 6 to 8 strands for different weights

I did have a chart somewhere from tasline but I can't find it, basically it's to get the breaking strains required, 8 strands of fibre X gives you 12lb, 6 strands of X (25% less) gives you 8lb (25% less) same as 8 of Y gives you 20lb and 25% less material (6 strands) gives you 25% less breaking strain at 15lb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 11:19pm
Titanium
Titanium

Do you mean this Tasline one below, Makka? 

The one odd thing about the Japanese brands, e.g. YGK, is that they usually don't state the diameter of the line on the spool, only the PE, so it's hard to compare brands. And i'm not sure how they come up with the PE rating - are they an industry standard for diameter?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 7:58am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There was another one with an extra row that shown the strand thickness.

The PE rating is actually thickness, not strength, there are a few conversion charts out there if you google it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cast-away Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:59am
Cast-away View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I went on a misssion in the weekend and my braid had't turned up so picked up some 6lb Shimano kairiki from my local smart's and threw it on my new 1-2kg setup. I can report that it does have a pretty low breaking strain would be around 6lb as labelled I managed to snap a kingy off by tightening up a bit much on it; overall thought it is pretty awesome braid for the price point of $28/150m spool, really good touch and casting just got to play the fish which going to 1-2kg is the whole point. The 0.07mm thickness does make it pretty tricky to tie knots with as you can barely feel it in your fingers just got to try keep it out of the wind while doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 7:44pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What knot were you using? I use the FG all the way down to 4lb, it can't be beaten
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting Makka. Do you ever have trouble with the FG gripping on the leader if you're using 10lb/12lb fluoro.

I was trying that when casting for flathead in Australia at Easter and my FGs kept failing when I tested the strength after tying.
But I can tie them really well on heavier traces.I couldn't work it out, was like I was missing a step even though i knew I wasn't. So I swapped to back to back uni for the rest of the trip.

Any thoughts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 7:40pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have never really had any issues, I mainly fish mono leaders but occasionally use fluro in 3X (4kg) and 10lb and don't have any problems.

How are you tying your FG?
Page  12>