Engine Weights

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 10:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd agree if it was a 300hp he was looking to put on, but an extra 23kg? .........

Yep.. but keep in mind of insurance issues as rightly mentioned above.
 Side note: there have been occasions  where ppl have gone to manufactures with larger engines  weight and power then at a cost had a new spec tab issued.

Being immobilized and stern goes to the sea... Well isnt that why, regardless of weight transom height (even a V6 on an old 20" transom 5.5m hull) we have a sea anchor?

And we are talking in this case a Mclay 650 cruiser... maybe a 1000kg heavier gross weight on water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 10:38am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We have a late model 200 hp 4 stroke Yamaha on our 7m boat, the boat is rated for up to 250 hp but it performs well and the fuel economy is much better with the 200 hp.
Label in the boat stated max engine and loading for the hull, need to keep to these limits for insurance purposes if nothing else.  friend has one of the new 200 hp Mercs on his 6.5m but its too new to tell what the long term reliability etc is, he couldn't get a Yamaha at the time but says the Merc performs well.
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 8:00pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would be concerned about the extra stress on a pod mounted tinny, cracking around the pod and hull won’t be an easy repair. Is really worth taking the risk, easy to give advice when it’s not your boat and you don’t get stuck with fixing the problem.

I’d be listening to the manufacture
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 8:41pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I'd agree if it was a 300hp he was looking to put on, but an extra 23kg? .........

Yep.. but keep in mind of insurance issues as rightly mentioned above.
 Side note: there have been occasions  where ppl have gone to manufactures with larger engines  weight and power then at a cost had a new spec tab issued.

Being immobilized and stern goes to the sea... Well isnt that why, regardless of weight transom height (even a V6 on an old 20" transom 5.5m hull) we have a sea anchor?

And we are talking in this case a Mclay 650 cruiser... maybe a 1000kg heavier gross weight on water.

have done exactly this - went to the manufacturer in hamilton - said i would prefer a 200 instead of the 'max' 150hp - they said sure - changed the plate no questions asked - and i note that the boat is still sold today with 200hp max in the specs.
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzza-Jay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:00pm
Muzza-Jay View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks to all for the info, I have managed to find an engine, Suzuki in-line 4 200hp, 241kgs. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 10:06pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I know this may sound a bit ridiculous however in truth the Suzuki at 241kg does not comply with manufacturer's recommendations.  If you think an insurance company will not try and use this as leverage to reject or reduce their exposure to a claim you are more trusting than I am.  Make sure the motor's details (as in weight) is well documented.  It is far, far easier to address any non-compliance issues now rather than after a claim has been submitted and the insurance company is focused on minimizing the value of any settlement.             
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 4:45pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fish Addict.
I think your comments are quite relevant and show the value of forums to offer opinions and advice.
We will always do what we want. Fortunately Muzz, has read these posts and would understand the parameters.

Well done Muzz on locating an engine.
Sure you'll be well pleased.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Page  <12