drags washers?? for old surfcasting reel

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: drags washers?? for old surfcasting reel
    Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 2:34pm
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I need to replace the drag washers on my old(about 20 years) butterworth fishhunter 7000 surfcasting rod but after an extensive search online have not been able to find a supplier, my local fishing shop think they can probably get some for me but I will have to give them my reel to be sent away to be fixed by some guy that they use for this, but the cost is too high to justify for me, but I'm sure if I could deal with a supplier or repairer directly the cost would be justifiable.  So if anybody could supply me with the contact details of someone that might be able to help it would be much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 2:44pm
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what about some carbon fibre ones (yeehaa stock a variety) and then cutting them to fit yourself?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 2:54pm
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah maybe but from what I read it sounded like I might run into some problems using these on an older reel. Also I had a quick google and the nz shop that came up listed the carbon fibre washers under different models of reel so would not know where to start in terms of selecting something suitable thickness etc...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 2:58pm
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm actually thinking of cutting up this old leather jacket to make the drag washers, does anybody have any experience with this, some hints would be great.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 2:59pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah just cut some carbontex ones, depanding on the size of the old ones, this sort of thing:
smoothdrag.com can sort you out any sizes too, trust worthy site that I've used before if you can't get to a tackle store

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 3:05pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by freshfish freshfish wrote:

I'm actually thinking of cutting up this old leather jacket to make the drag washers, does anybody have any experience with this, some hints would be great.
what about cork? Studio Ocean Mark L120 jigging reals have cork drags.
Maybe cut up a cork tile from bunnings or something.
I don't think a leather jacket would work all that well, but I could be wrong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 3:09pm
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks, my washers have an inner diameter of 5mm and a outer diameter of 25mm so those ones on trademe won't be suitable unfortunately. Thanks for the smoothdrag.com pointer, I just would have assumed it was an American supplier and therefore looked past it but I see they have a NZ distributor, so I will check it out now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 3:13pm
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Smoothdrag is great. You shouldn't have any problems running them either - you will get a small % increase in the drag available but unless your over doing it big time I wouldn't expect any problems. You will definitely get a much smoother reel though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 3:20pm
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Do you order from smoothdrag in America or use the nz distributor?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 3:47pm
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm not sure what washer inner diameter to go for, my original washers are soft type and have possibly changed dimensions from been squashed in a tight drag for years, they have a inner diameter of 6mm but the metal washer has a diameter of 5mm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 3:52pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm not sure what washer inner diameter to go for, my original washers are soft type and have possibly changed dimensions from been squashed in a tight drag for years, they have a inner diameter of 6mm but the metal washer has a diameter of 5mm.
5 or 6mm won't matter really
Deal direct with smoothdrag.com in the U.S., pay using paypal
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 4:21pm
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hop over to Alan Tanis  site and see what they say re the Tex washers and what you might be able to use outside of a Butterworth specific washer. There may be a Abu or whatever washer set that fits em.

"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 10:21am
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Do you know what they would charge to post 3 washers using first class postage which is their cheapest postage option, I often find with US companies the postage charges are horrendously high even for very small items which is why i had given up even considering US options. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 10:34am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Do you know what they would charge to post 3 washers using first class postage which is their cheapest postage option, I often find with US companies the postage charges are horrendously high even for very small items which is why i had given up even considering US options. 
Not sure exactly, but my last order from there consisted of drag washers for 4 reels and all up came to US$55 incl postage.
have some (wellington)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 10:38am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks, my washers have an inner diameter of 5mm and a outer diameter of 25mm so those ones on trademe won't be suitable unfortunately. Thanks for the smoothdrag.com pointer, I just would have assumed it was an American supplier and therefore looked past it but I see they have a NZ distributor, so I will check it out now.
Shimano 6000/8000 are the right size that you want - 25mm/5mm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 10:48am
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 10:57am
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks, the nz link seems to be massively overcharging for the washers which i think is what I noticed when I looked in nz before.
It's a little hard to know but I presume at least some of your reels required more than 3 washers so I'm guessing the postage was not completely outrageous.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 10:58am
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks a lot, do you happen to know what thickness they are?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freshfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 11:06am
freshfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The other thing I just realised is I did not check whether you run these washers dry or if I need to buy some special oil as well?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 11:13am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

stack of 3x stradic 8000 washers is just under 3mm high, so approx .8mm thickness
the postage from the US would be the same for 3 as it was for the all of mine, their tiny little bags.
For one set I'd stick to NZ shop, I'm guessing $30, the new shimano stradic washers are carbonfibre now too, Shimano NZ or Hunting & Fishing or something must be able to sort you out.

Page  12>