Doing the tinny up - advice please?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doing the tinny up - advice please?
    Posted: 05 Jul 2003 at 8:23pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm in the process of doing up a 5.5m tinny for a friend who will then give me the use of it. The boat has not been used much as it's owner hasn't got he time to use it let alone fix it up. From the outside it looks like a good boat with a little used outboard in good nick. So far I have unscrewed and taken up the rotten floorboards with a view to replace them with marine ply covered with marine carpet. That's about as far as I've got! It has a bilge pump which I assume means I need to buy 2 new batteries and test it before the floor boards go down. This is a fairly huge subject but I would appreciate any advice from electrics to running/checking the outboard (about 2 years since it was last run) and any good books on the subject.

Thanks!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2003 at 8:40pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

if you have time tomorrow come into Smart Marine and ask for Terry or Eric.....

we would love to show you how far you can go with a 5.5mt tinny......

its the beginning of the financial year stock take is done and the shelf's are full with all the new toys you could dream of...... you just need a very deep pocket full of that green stuff and hook the trailer up before you leave so you don't have to walk home due to no room to sit.....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2003 at 6:47am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

JW
Get the motor serviced ..dont just get it going yourself
what electrics has it got?..battery still OK?
partly fill it with water to confirm that there are no (or very few) leaks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2003 at 7:17am
Snapatak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Barrie is right, if the motor has being sitting for that amount of time get it serviced, new fuel, battery, don,t try and save money on the basics, these are the things that get you home if your've had a crap day fishing, or a good day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2003 at 8:11am
Rainman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

JW. We have recently replaced the floorboards in our tinny. I was warned against using marine ply or treated timber in a Tinny. The arsenic or whatever they treat timber with can apparently leach out and cause a reaction with alloy causing corrosion. Could be worthwhile double checking just to be sure. The warning was enough for me to go for untreated timber.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2003 at 6:32pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

right on Rainman this is very true........ you can buy a tar like paint to stop this happening then have the best of both worlds...... a floor that will never rot.......

all the light wiring will need replacing, unless tin coated wire was used to wire the boat up in the first place, no solder should be used to joint wire, joints all this should be crimped sealed with a RTV product and have a shrink wrap heated tube up over the joint to last for at least a 5 year free run........

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2003 at 12:50pm
Rainman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the tip re the Tar paint lethal. Will follow up on that the next time i replace the floor. I found out about the treated timber issue just as i was about to put my nice new treated floor in. Least i had the templates to copy off for the untreated boards so it didnt take so long second time round.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2003 at 6:07pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys. Some of the tips I'd hoped for that you only get from a site like this. Does Smart Marine sell the necessary bits for the re-wiring and the tar paint? Barrie - The boat needs 2 new batteries and is water tight. The hull is actually in great shape as the boat really hasn't been used much. Just left outside not doing anything - crying shame! I know it's water tight because I had to drain a huge amount of water from it before it could be moved!! It now has a tarp over the cockpit and the plugs are out so water drains out. I've got the shaped polystyrene to put under the floor boards. Can anyone recommend a good outboard mechanic? As the hull is sound, the engine is my main concern - I really don't want to take any chances. What do you do with the tube from the bilge? Does it sit inside in the boat to be chucked over the side when you use it? Haven't looked at the steering yet - can outboard mechanics do this too or is it fairly easy? One more thing - where's a good place to get a new tarp to go over the canopy bars? The boat is a Quintrex.

Thanks in advance

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2003 at 5:51am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would tend to take it to Auckland Marine as they are the Quinnie dealers(I think) so they would have all the info. I use Glen Eden Marine as they were the original Suzzie dealers and I have alway been very very happy with them, but as its a Quinnie and may need other things, your proably better with the dealer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2003 at 8:52am
Rainman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

JW if the unit is mobile it could well be worthwhile having an expert eye have a quick look over it. They should be able to give you good advice. Advice costs little or nothing and could save you a lot of hassles in the long haul. They should be able to give you a check list of repairs needed and possible solutions.

Another thing to check is wheel bearings on the trailer. If it has been sitting for a while chances are the bearings may need attention. Its a small issue in the whole picture but a real pain in the butt if they clap out just when you dont need them to.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2003 at 4:11pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My mate bought a boat in the same condition, it had been sitting under a tree for two years. He took to the shop and told them what state he found the boat in, he got them to service the motor,$500 later it was all done. First trip out it ran like a dog, second trip it was getting worse, So he decided to strip it down a see waht the problem was.

He found the gas tanks had about 1 litre of water in them, and the carbs had the brown ooze in them. It took two attempts to get all them brown muck out of the carbs.

So a standard servive was not enought a good cleaning of the fuel system was in order, now the motor runs great.

Wefaknis

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2003 at 4:27pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How do you get water out of your boat's tank, especially if it's an underfloor tank? When I was studying my ppl you used to drain water out through a tap in the bottom of the wing into this device which was a little like a test tube. You knew if there was water in the fuel because it caused bubbles.
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2003 at 4:36pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In this case it was easy, tote tank. But when I helped cleaning another underfloor tank out it was a mission, and we decided to put a big tractor fuel filter on the outltet so we would never have to dig down under the floor again.

Wefaknis

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2003 at 6:40pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if you put thinners in a petrol tank it will get rid of the water. Then leave it long enough and the thinners will evaporate. Just make sure thye have before putting in petrol and running
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2003 at 5:26pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What can you say! Thanks very much
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Knightowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2003 at 8:03pm
Knightowl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi JW

Check the ali for corrosion where it has had water sitting in it, Also putting polestyrene underfloor can trap water between the foam and the ali speeding up Corrosion/electolisis. One more thing check your anodes they the only thing that stops an ali boat from dissapearing into the sea like an asprin.( SLIGHT exageration there)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2003 at 11:14pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi

The most effective water dissippater in any fuel tank is Methylated spirits......breaks the water down to tiny harmless droplets.

I also lifted my timber floor in my near new 5.5 metre tinny and simply poured heaps of waste oil all over them until they had soaked it up...took heaps of waste oil....guaranteed not to rot!!!! didn't need a brush either.

Cheers CeeBee (Mechanic 28 years)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hamstring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2003 at 11:25am
hamstring View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

acetone is another very good way of getting rid of water in your fuel tank .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 5:52am
trouty View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Quote I've got the shaped polystyrene to put under the floor boards

I suggest you don't use plystyrene foam under the floor, the first little bit of spilt fuel and all you'll have for floatation will be about a cupfull of sticky black goo.

You sould use two pack polyeurothane foam, high density fiore retardant and closed cell. It's the crumbly yellow crap you find inside tinny thwart seats.

You should individually wrap each block in HEAVEY Black plastic (the type they lay inder concrete as a waterproof membrane - steal it from ANY building construction site before the granoworkers pour..  ). Use the waterproof 100mph gaffa tape to seal each block. You don't want the foam to crumble off with pounding over waves and the crumbs to float down to the bilge pump and block the screen and burn out the bilge pump.

Cut 1 inch PVC pipe lengthways on a tungsten tipped saw bench, to get two "U" channles and cut to fit these onto the alloy bottom between the sringers and frames / ribs, first before placing the plastic wrapped high density, fire retardant, polyeutothane foam blocks on top, to keep the blocks up off the hull so it can drain to the bungs and dry out while on the trailer to avoid corrosion.

Best of luck.