Do trout recognize, and avoid popular flies?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do trout recognize, and avoid popular flies?
    Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 1:21am
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was just wondering to myself, do trout start to recognize popular flies? 

For example, on heavily pressured waters where a lot of people fish gold bead pheasant tails, will that pattern slowly become less effective throughout the season as the trout get more exposed to it.

I know that trout have good short term memory, if I fail a strike on a Cicada fly, they will unlikely take that fly again, but if I change to say a Chernobyl ant or stimulator chances are they will have a second go. So atleast in the short term,trout can recognize and avoid specific patterns. But how long does that memory last. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 11:46am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

glo bugs are taken just about all year in taupo fishery although you may need to change colour and size periodically - these are rainbows we are talking about here.
Had stunning success on a gold beaded pheasant tail bomb last year in one session - in fact fish ignored the small glo bug completely but must admit not much luck on that bomb last session or two.
Browns may be a whole different ball game - much more fussy and if refused your offering first couple of times may require a different style as you say.
Rainbows and browns do strike out of plain annoyance sometimes regardless of whether the fly offerred replicates what they are actually feeding on - however if spooked of course browns esp will seldom take for quite a while but does depend on the fish. No hard or fast rule i reckon.
As to your question i have observed rainbows refusing flies for a period then pool rested for only 10 minutes or so and bang took first cast on same fly when fishing resumed. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 10:08am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I once caught a brown on a Hair & Copper (no bead), then released it and watched it swim back to where I'd caught it. Then, I caught another trout but was a rainbow. The first brown was still in place so decided to cast to it again but changed to a Pheasant Tail = it looked but ignored it so put my original H&C on and it took it again.

On another occasion, late season, there was a big jack guarding a bunch of hens so I tied on a globug and it took it. I lost it as I was netting it. The jack went back to his harem and I cast again with same fly within 5 minutes of trying to net it and it took the fly - this time netted properly and released it. Almost unbelievably, I caught it a 3rd time - 3 times in about 20 minutes!! 

Browns do eat egg patterns as saw some getting caught on the Waitahanui 2 days ago.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken