Do Safeswim warnings apply to fishing?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pedestrianfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Safeswim warnings apply to fishing?
    Posted: 16 May 2024 at 7:51am
pedestrianfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Kia ora, I'm a new fisher and loving it! I mostly fish off wharves - I was wondering if Safeswim warnings apply to fishing in the same areas as well? Thank you!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2024 at 11:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by pedestrianfisher pedestrianfisher wrote:

Kia ora, I'm a new fisher and loving it! I mostly fish off wharves - I was wondering if Safeswim warnings apply to fishing in the same areas as well? Thank you!

Kia ora, sorry for the late reply. I had to Google Safeswim. What exactly are you concerned about? Water quality or something else?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pedestrianfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2024 at 10:28am
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Smudge, thanks for your response. I’ve been learning to fish off the Wairangi St Wharf. After we had a lot of rain I noticed the Safeswim website said it was high risk - so yeah, just wondering if water quality should be a concern? Or can I still fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2024 at 4:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by pedestrianfisher pedestrianfisher wrote:

Hi Smudge, thanks for your response. I’ve been learning to fish off the Wairangi St Wharf. After we had a lot of rain I noticed the Safeswim website said it was high risk - so yeah, just wondering if water quality should be a concern? Or can I still fish!

It shouldn't impact on the qualities of the fish. It will be fine to catch and eat them
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mc Tool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 11:02am
Mc Tool View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When my local simming hole got the red dot ( unsafe to swim , thanks dairy farmers )) I rang fish and game to enquire as to wether the fish were safe to eat , the person on the other end of the phone didnt bother to hide the fact she thought it was a stupid question  and replied that " the fish dont drink the water so they are OK to eat ".....so I dunno ....I didnt die Smile
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pedestrianfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 12:02pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you both!