decent morning

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: decent morning
    Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 11:26am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

2 hrs fishing. Solo.
It is so heartening to see a fishery improve when so many are in decline. This would be the third consecutive yr I have seen an improvement in our once trashed fishery. Snapper were an unknown 3-5 yrs ago - for the previous 1-2 decades.
It is hard not to conclude it is all down to the serial commercial crook not fishing the area for about the last 3 yrs. Just shows how much damage the trawling does. Not seeing near as many trawlers these days.
Had  a similar catch in as much time a couple of days ago. No special spot X, no GPS mark, no burley. Out to 30m and drop the pick basically.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 1:33pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Often wonder Alan.Is this due to 2 factors.Your comms boys are leaving a area alone over summer or has QMS when Nathan Guy cut the reccs size and bag limits coming in to play??

We are not putting back as many as we use to in Firth of Thames,3,4 yrs ago plagued with 29.5cm snapper.
"Times up"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 2:30pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Comms guys have no restrictions on this area. Just what their quota allows (plus more than a bit more for the last operator).
I have mentioned this before - but our rec pressure has not changed in the 30 yrs I have fished this area. It used to be an excellent fishery. Then for the last 20 yrs it turned in to something seriously dismal. 
In the last 3 yrs it has picked up, heading towards what it used to be. The only change is the crooked operator no longer fishes it. There can be no other conclusion. There is a noticeable drop off in the trawler activity.
So, two lots of meals for x7 have been vac packed and will go to ChCh this wend when we visit daughter. Along with a couple of crays now in the freezer.
Fish and cray for tea tonight.
And I will harvest my annual firewood tomorrow - off cuts from a macrocarpa mill. That must be worth a couple of crays and some fish.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 3:05pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Alan.  It didn't take long for you to get back into the swing of things in NZ. Glen will be well pleased that cray is back on the menu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 4:06pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep - quite a few people pleased to see me back :-)
Including the cat.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 4:56pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Often wonder Alan.Is this due to 2 factors.Your comms boys are leaving a area alone over summer or has QMS when Nathan Guy cut the reccs size and bag limits coming in to play??

Paul, that fishery you refer to lies between Kidnappers and Napier. About 30-40k north of me. Too far to make any difference. Also there is another Rec reserve area closer to me - Bare Is - off Waimarama (about 15k north of me). Been shut to Comms since the 60s. Again, made no difference to the depletion of our fish stock. As soon as a fish poked its head out past those boundary lines it would get scooped up.
But to answer your Q, the Legasea guys that got the new Rec area off Kidnappers tell me it is working very well. They are having very good fishing off it over summer and as far as I know the Comms seem quite happy with the arrangement too. Fish stocks there seem to be improving. It is only closed to Comms over the summer months.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member