Crossing Over

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2003 at 7:53pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just the ones that live here eh Tobes ?
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brother of Darryl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2003 at 7:58pm
Brother of Darryl View Drop Down
New User
New User

Well Hellfish's first post explains everything really. I just new he wasnt normal like the rest of us
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2003 at 8:46pm
Eric de Vries View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kerren

Too many positive things too mention. Am from the Netherlands as you guys might have noticed in my badly spelled posts. (spearo forum mainly)

Love the place and could not go back to the Holland to live, couldn't afford it nowadays.

Now anybody seen my Rollmops or pickled Herrings anywhere?

eric
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2003 at 9:01pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sharkbait,

5 posts since December? Looks like someone is abnormal and it's not me!

Where you been sleeping?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2003 at 10:35pm
Woody View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hellfish,

Welcome to NZ. A Kiwi born and bred and also enjoy the great outdoors. Been to USA several times and didn't see the sky until we got north of San Fran. I like Hawaii though lots babes and good surf.

Cheers Woody

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2003 at 2:35pm
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So that answers a lot of questions HF,but i must say im a little worried usually the only yanks to migrate to Whangarei are high on the FBI most wanted list....Good to have a good man on board welcome to fisho heaven.......Woody next time you in hawaii suss out the tuna fishing it can be awsome........

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote empty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2003 at 10:44pm
empty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hf i know how you fell ,i work for a yank company at the airport

there a sh#t co to work for

welcome to nz jsut dont tell too many people about ,we might get to keep it longer

what happened to the pissing man?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 8:29am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i can just recall the days of nick smith or who ever the blue party is represented by rekon hodgson is marginally better
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 10:20am
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dumb question,

Why are Americans called Yanks anyway?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 1:30pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Isn't it because they sang Yankee Doodle as they marched off to be cannon fodder in the civil war ?

Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lalandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 4:20pm
lalandi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yank is an old term for a New Yorker... I was told how/why not too long ago but I have forgotten now. (go go gadget brain!!)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 9:42pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Word History: The origin of Yankee has been the subject of much debate, but the most likely source is the Dutch name Janke, meaning �little Jan� or �little John,� a nickname that dates back to the 1680s. Perhaps because it was used as the name of pirates, the name Yankee came to be used as a term of contempt. It was used this way in the 1750s by General James Wolfe, the British general who secured British domination of North America by defeating the French at Quebec. The name may have been applied to New Englanders as an extension of an original use referring to Dutch settlers living along the Hudson River. Whatever the reason, Yankee is first recorded in 1765 as a name for an inhabitant of New England. The first recorded use of the term by the British to refer to Americans in general appears in the 1780s, in a letter by Lord Horatio Nelson, no less. Around the same time it began to be abbreviated to Yank. During the American Revolution, American soldiers adopted this term of derision as a term of national pride. The derisive use nonetheless remained alive and even intensified in the South during the Civil War, when it referred not to all Americans but to those loyal to the Union. Now the term carries less emotionexcept of course for baseball fans.

yankee

\Yan"kee\, n. [Commonly considered to be a corrupt pronunciation of the word English, or of the French word Anglais, by the native Indians of America. According to Thierry, a corruption of Jankin, a diminutive of John, and a nickname given to the English colonists of Connecticut by the Dutch settlers of New York. Dr. W. Gordon (``Hist. of the Amer. War,'' ed, 1789, vol. i., pp. 324, 325) says it was a favorite cant word in Cambridge, Mass., as early as 1713, and that it meant excellent; as, a yankee good horse, yankee good cider, etc. Cf. Scot yankie a sharp, clever, and rather bold woman, and Prov. E. bow-yankees a kind of leggins worn by agricultural laborers.] A nickname for a native or citizen of New England, especially one descended from old New England stock; by extension, an inhabitant of the Northern States as distinguished from a Southerner; also, applied sometimes by foreigners to any inhabitant of the United States.

From meanness first this Portsmouth Yankey rose, And still to meanness all his conduct flows. --Oppression, A poem by an American (Boston, 1765).

adj : used by southerners for an inhabitant of a northern state in the United States (especially a Union soldier) [syn: color=#0033ffYankee] n 1: an American who lives in the North (especially during the American Civil War) [syn: color=#0033ffYankee, color=#000099Yank, color=#0033ffNortherner] 2: an American who lives in New England [syn: color=#0033ffNew Englander, color=#0033ffYankee, color=#000099Yank] 3: an American [syn: color=#0033ffYankee, color=#000099Yank, color=#0033ffYankee-Doddle]

I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 9:42am
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Bushie

Well there you go HF.......you can't get any more comprehensive than that 

Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 12:39pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow Bushie I'm impressed.

The question now is: Am I a Yank? or just a Sell Out to my Country?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 1:02pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

depends
How much are you willing to pay out?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 7:08pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

where you from HF? the south, no? you should have a rebel flag in the back window of your beat-up old chevy truck, keeping the sunlight from weathering the stock of your double barrel shotgun!

maybe some bull horns on the front hood? too far your right.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 7:46pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ROFLMAO.

That reminded me of this kid in my high school that drove a 1978 Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 truck with bull horns on the hood. A shotgun rack in the rear window and a cowboy hat rack centered over the seat. A confederate flag for a front licence plate.

Real hard case kid from, I think it was Jasper Texas? He didn't quite fit in.

Sadly though, a couple years after graduation I read about some goons in that same town who kidnapped a black guy and chained him to the back of their truck and drove down the road. The guy ended up armless, decapitated and dead.

I would call those clowns Yanks by your definition, Redneck Hillbillies by mine.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seaman Staines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2003 at 8:30pm
Seaman Staines View Drop Down
New User
New User

I worked on a ship once with mostly american crew and it appeared that the civil war had never finished. Most of the crew were southerners with a few northerners. My boss was a good old boy from Tulsa (in jail now for shooting someone in the arse) he explained there were two types of yankees. Yankees were visotors from the north and goddamned yankees were the ones that stayed. The southerners and northerners definitly did not get on. I found the black guys were the most friendly and genuine people out of them all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2003 at 4:40pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hellfish,  since you're waiting for Kiwi citizenship, I guess you could be a KIT (kiwi in training).  I meet some truely great fishing guys from LA, people much like the guys we have on this board. It goes to show, it doesn't matter where you came from or where you live....the love of fishing is truely universal and it brings out the best in mankind.

I wish Uncle Helen and her buddies went fishing, even Pres. Bush and other world leaders.  Hmmmmm, scratch that, there would be many fish left for me.

give it death!
Page  <12