crossbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crossbow
    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 1:18pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Need some serious advice.Number 2 boy (18yrs) wants to purchase a crossbow. He wants to go goat hunting.
Now what bow/strenght does he need. According to DOC sight 150lb miminum??

Where can we go and look at crossbows and what type of arrow does he need to purchase??

DOC permits seem straight forward and areas are within a hours drive.

No idea where he got this notion from but seems keen to get out and give it a go.

Thanks in advance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 1:49pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great to get kids out doors into the bush. Be great to see the brag photos.  Good luck 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 2:16pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I hunt pigs with dogs so have limited knowledge on bow hunting.one thing I have noticed though is all the hunting programmes I watch they use long bows.your local hunting and fishing store will be able to advise and reccomend the right product
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:04am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Be it a long bow or Cross, it is no different to a rifle except more so
 The ability to drop that bolt/ arrow exactly on the spot for the kill. If dont yo have a very long, and if a goat , very challenging (clifts, gullies) hike to chase it down.

The bow, to be able to pull it fully AND shoot accurate over distance is not for the inexperienced...and a cross bow much the same.

I looked into it yrs ago, talked with a few ppl and couple bow hunters...these guys tend to progress from good very experienced gun, stealth hunters to bows.
 Not drop straight into a 'bow...and the usual reason for young guys is to short cut the process of getting a gun license, and the cost of a suitable gun (generally over the $1200 mark.. plus setting up secure storage.

1 of our sons went thru this 'phase' around the same age...
He did his homework with a bit of proding... a couple friends dads having an informal chat..
He eventually went sat his firearms licince, got his 1st 7mm, and hooked up with a couple good hunters.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:27pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

For good bow hunting you need to be a very, very good stalker. Everything has to line up wind/your noise ect
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 5:05pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For good bow hunting you need to be a very, very good stalker.

Disagree... Wink
 to get anything at all, "you need to be a very very good stalker" , and excellent bow person and experienced hunter/ bush man.

unless walking the Ohatu drains for koi, and that takes a just bit of practice.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 5:26pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

For good bow hunting you need to be a very, very good stalker.

Disagree... Wink
 to get anything at all, "you need to be a very very good stalker" , and excellent bow person and experienced hunter/ bush man.

unless walking the Ohatu drains for koi, and that takes a just bit of practice.

Haha yes of course you do. But for the most it seems today the talk is ( mine was a four hundred meter shot) yeah right !! Christ, these days I would struggle to see a bit of game at that range lol. A good bow hunter needs just that extra bit more patience and skill as he is very limited in shooting range. A well trained dog is also a great asset.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote baxterholt8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 9:26am
baxterholt8 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I recommend ScorpydAculeus with 460 fps for hunting because It is very fast in speed and really convenient to use and work with. The weight of this crossbow is not so light but comparatively, it is not that bad.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 4:54pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes that is a fast bow Baxter. I am still using the Ravin- R10, great bow for my needs .Smile