Coro Mussel Farms

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coro Mussel Farms
    Posted: 02 Nov 2003 at 10:26pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Can any of you guys recommend which are the best mussel farms to fish in the Coromandel area and are there any restrictions on accessing them?

TIA

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2003 at 7:04am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dogfish
I normally go to the first one that you come to as you leave the "sugar loaf" ramp. We tie up to the 3rd or 4th string from the north at the very end closest to the ramp. Another good one that I have caught the biggest fish at is the one on the north of the harbour. Not too many people fish that one and I find that it will often fire when others dont. Dont use light gear as some of the fish will bust you off in seconds. The best setup is 15kg (Im gonna take 24 one day to stop the big ones) with a 7/0 wippa snappa in the yellow colour. Let the fish take the rig, most go wrong by striking, that will pull the hooks from the fish. The snapper appare to "graze" through the farms so if Im doing a trip there, I will tieup and stay for a while and give the fish time to come to me. Buy a small grapnel ( I have 2) and toss the it over the strings then let the tide or wind take you away from the strings. I then toss the other over the etring on the other side so the I straddle the "lane". When the first grapnel is tossed over I reach over the side and pull the grapnel back into the boat so that when I want to release the boat I just need to pull the rope through, Saves any hassels with leaving the spot. As with most shallow areas, pays to fish the farms either morning or evening. Those two farms are shallow at 8 to 10 meters. Have you a chartplotter? if you have let me know and I will give you another couple of spots. Where are you staying up there? Papa Aroha is great and affordable and Anglers Lodge has just been sold but is great as well. Both offer an Island drop off service
If you want any more info, give me a call 09 8389942 wk or 09 8183132 hm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2003 at 7:06am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Restrictions?
to the mussel farmers, snapper are like possums and distroy their livelihood so they want you to cull these vermin out for them, just be gental and where possible, tie up to the ends and dont dammage anything
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2003 at 7:40am
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now wouldn't that be a primo job! Culling snapper from mussel farms 40 hours a week... that's one job where I wouldn't mind doing plenty of OT!

I'm currently thinking of getting a new job in a new trade. Have been thinking about an outdoors job. My bro in-law suggested working for DoC
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2003 at 7:45am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Get your HT KSI, I need a rubbish truck driver
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lalandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2003 at 10:16am
lalandi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

oooo Bushie its not one of those flash Merc trucks is it??? I could handle driving one of those all day...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2003 at 10:21am
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That has been a thought Bushie!
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2003 at 10:39am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Flash trucks. hahahahahahahaha, not us pal. Although I will have a brand new Hino on the road in a month.

Nope we are useing the old jap imports rear loaders.

I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2003 at 10:03pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Barrie for the locations and advise.

If you could PM me the other spots you offered, it will be much appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2003 at 7:04am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

send your email through to me (by pm) as I have them on file and it will be easy just to forward a excel file rather than type them out OK
promise no virus
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2003 at 11:53pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I wasn't sure where to post this so looked for something with Coro. as a lead.

Aunty & I are heading up that way next week for 2-3 days(stepsons wedding)  & am looking forward to seeing some of NZ's finest. Will pack a surf rod , light lunch,5kgs of squid & with a bit of luck will get a chance to have a chuck or two!

Barrie, thanks for the kind offer, greatfully accepted. I'm sure we will have a ball. (aunty said let's leave the rod behind & have a second honeymoon) & then I got confused. I thought it was a fishing trip,with a bit of wedding thrown in but she reminded me that it's a real wedding & I said ,yes, but what about all them Snapper waiting for me & she said,yes but what about the wedding & I said what about all them poor Squids that would be wasted if I didn't deploy them as per instructions & then she said...well, I don't think I'll tell you what she said! 'Nuff said

Question is, how do I hide a 2 peice 14' rod & a 25litre chilly bin in a Corolla without it being noticed?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 7:16am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just take your reel mate
There is a surf rod in the cupboard under the stairs...not the best quality but it is there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 12:27pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kandrew and I,no doubt others have,noticed a lot of the farms are bare,mainly inner ropes on farms. Asked Sanfords the question as to why. And got a respnse.

Sanford Limited
Paul Carnahan Quite the opposite! Demand for Greenshell mussels is very strong at the moment and they're flying out the door. The farms you saw will be ready to be reseeded with new spat once wild spat catch comes through. In our South Island farms we have a solid source of spat from our SpatNZ mussel hatchery, but most of our North Island farms still rely on wild-caught spat, so it's a bit less predictable. Thanks for your question
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic