FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Controlling your drift with a Minkota i-Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Controlling your drift with a Minkota i-Pilot
    Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 8:03pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thought I would share how I use my Minkota to slow my drift when slow pitch jigging.
1. Determine the direction of your drift and position yourself up wind/ up current from your target ie. over structure or bait.

2. Engage spot lock and wait for your boat to swing into a settled orentation (pointed in a stable direction)

3.engage Autopilot button

4. Adjust prop speed until you are drifting (backwards) at the desired speed (jigs are vertical)

This method gives you quite a lot of control over your speed over ground and let’s you use lighter lures and still keep a straight up and down presentation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 8:39pm
DIY View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I am considering getting a Minn Kota Ulterra 80lb on a 5.6m glass boat and have been wondering how it would replace a sea anchor. I have the sea anchor tied off roughly mid ship and this allows me to drift side on. Can I achieve this with a minn kota? I also fish in the Manukau and wondering if it would hold my boat in the current successfully.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 8:45pm
Silver
Silver

With a bow mounted trolling motor you will tend to drift stern first basic physics.
As to the current it should hold with spotlock. The only time It hasn’t been able to hold for me is when the wind speed was getting up around 20 knots. Windage seems to be more of an issue than current. I have held quite easily in heavy current below the Waipapa Dam.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 1:07pm
DIY View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you set the bow mounted minn Kota at right angles to the boat and drift with just enough power to slow you down I wonder if it would hold the boat side on?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 8:49pm
Silver
Silver

DIY I’ll have a play and see if I can get a sideways drift. I think it might be possible but I think you would lose some of the control over speed over ground. I’ll give it a crack and see what happens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 9:12pm
DIY View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for that, 90% of my fishing is sideways drifting casting micro jigs ahead and dragging kaburas behind. If a minn Kota can do that then I’ll seriously consider it. My other fishing is carrot hunting in the Manukau. It’s a big investment so want to make sure it works for me.