circle hook query

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 1:37pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Alan you are correct, Mutsu is a style of hook.  They are the same / similar to what I would call a Recurve hook.  They come in offset and non-offset configurations.  Similar to circle hooks in that the point of the hook is at 90 deg (or close to) the shank.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 2:04pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 2:05pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So what is the difference between the BKK circle I use and the Mutsu. The BKK is in foreground (offset). Same size Mustad in background.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 2:50pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

So what is the difference between the BKK circle I use and the Mutsu. The BKK is in foreground (offset). Same size Mustad in background.
Alan
Different manufacturers use different terminology.  Mutsu and recurve hooks are often included within the 'circle' style of hooks.  The image below is from the Gamakatsu website under the circle hooks category.  The bottom left hook is a mutsu or recurve the others are more typical style circles.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 3:30pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right - so my BKK is more a circle - which I think is how they sell them. But they also sell a BKK Mutsu. It looks like it has more of a leg on the barb side, rather than a full curve.
Any guesses as to why a Mutsu would be better - assuming it is, over a circle.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 3:49pm
Platinum
Platinum

... Any guesses as to why a Mutsu would be better - assuming it is, over a circle.

Good question and not one I can readily give you an answer to.  Perhaps someone else can?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 4:01pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Alan
Different manufacturers use different terminology.  Mutsu and recurve hooks are often included within the 'circle' style of hooks.  The image below is from the Gamakatsu website under the circle hooks category.  The bottom left hook is a mutsu or recurve the others are more typical style circles.

Bottom left is the shape of the ones i use Allan. On the package it says Mutsu-R the size, Qty, Made in Korea. Decoro Fishing Supplies in Tauranga has all the sizes. Also they come in red or bronze. Have found bronze colour better as they last alot longer before the coating starts wearing off and rust starts. Even the little sizes are deadly on hook ups. I make three hook sabiki rigs for catching bait using size two. many a time get three fish at once. Hope this helps....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 4:20pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use exclusive Sakuma Hooks and have done for 10+ years now, I only surf cast and lbg fish. I have found the Sakuma  Mutsu Hook made in Japan the perfect  the barb is off-set the same as Alan has posted above ( bottom hook) but the eye is straight , now the way the eye is folded is opposite to the way the barb goes so when you tie a snood it pulls up to the hook shank /eye not the cut side of hook . Some company's may call the Mutsu hook semi circle ( but have wrong offset and bent eye).
just my views - crap weather cant fish ,cant garden  bored Wink
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 5:34pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well I guess I should get some and try them. See if better hook up than BKK circle.
So much fishing to do, so many plans, so little time. Lucky I don't have a proper job to interfere.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 7:29pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 7:11am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Funnily enough I think I am using some - on my ledger rigs.
Recently switched to Black magic KL size 5. I swear they are same shape.
Getting about 90% hook up rate.
I will grab some Mutsu #32 (size 10), for Vtu.
Be posting a report in a few weeks.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 7:49am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I go snapper fishing off West Coast, I use a Snapper Catcha Gamakatsu flasher rig, 8/0. I have a rod holder that holds the rod at 45 degrees. Drop the bait, put rod in holder and wait. When the rod bounces continuously you're hooked up.
Wind in fish. Lazy fishing, well, yes and no. Effective fishing - YES!

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 12:18pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

When I go snapper fishing off West Coast, I use a Snapper Catcha Gamakatsu flasher rig, 8/0. I have a rod holder that holds the rod at 45 degrees. Drop the bait, put rod in holder and wait. When the rod bounces continuously you're hooked up.
Wind in fish. Lazy fishing, well, yes and no. Effective fishing - YES!

PRECISELY what I do. And the BM KL hooks work a treat. But those Gamakatsu are very good too.
I think the bouncing is a key part of the plan - certainly for gurnard. Hard to do same holding the rod.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <12