Christchurch Fishing Scene

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote IwantAsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christchurch Fishing Scene
    Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:01pm
IwantAsenator View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All. Is there much of a boat fishing scene in chch. Looking to move the family down there for a better lifestyle and job. But Iā€™m not really sure of what trailer boat fishing is like down there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:45pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Where are you moving from?
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote IwantAsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:59pm
IwantAsenator View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey mate. Moving from Pukekohe. The gulf is my playground currently šŸ‘šŸ»
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 10:34pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quite different from the Gulf in terms of a fishing perspective and species in that part of the Mainland however I'm sure the locals can help point you in the right direction.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 7:31am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've lived here for almost 5years this go around. Previously I was in Hamilton, The Catlins and Nelson. 

Fishing is different down here. No snapper, though Kingfish come as far South as Banks Penninsula in the summer. 

From CHCH you can go out Motanau, Akaroa or Lyttelton. 3 hours North there's Kaikoura. I'd recommend a bigger boat: 5m would be a good minimum with a cuddy cabin. It's colder down South. Wet Coast you can get out from Milford, Jacksons bay or Hokitika over the bar. 

Species seem to be mainly sea perch of Kaikoura, blue cod up and down the coast, Trumpeter and some deep sea species if you can find them. 

Overall the fishing is better up North, but it is what it is. There's more to life than fishing. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 7:34am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

PS: Since I'm still in the process of building a decent boat, there's a lot I have to learn about boat fishing here. If you're into Trout and Salmon there's options there as well.