Changes to the recreational rules for hāpuku/bass

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes to the recreational rules for hāpuku/bass
    Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:12pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Strange no one has posted this up yet, least of all NZSFC or Legasea given they pushed for this change. Dont get me wrong as I dont think its bad move but you would have thought they would have have made this announcement themsleves or judging by lot of negative comments being made NZSFC socially they dont want to bear any backlash from the recreational.
THE REGULATIONS COME INTO FORCE ON 28 NOVEMBER 2022.
Changes include:
• Daily limit for hāpuku/bass reduced from 5 to 2 per person per day
• An accumulation limit of 3 hāpuku/bass per person
• The combined daily bag limit of 5 hāpuku/bass and kingfish will be removed (kingfish daily bag limit remains the same at 3 per person per day)
Thanks for helping spread the word!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:27pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And alledgedly a reduction in coms catch. Saw this the other day on fb, but when I tried to look into it, the system crashed. TBH i feel like it could or should have gone slightly differently with not such a massive reduction. And the kingies and puka/bass limits should have seperated years ago, with puka/bass/ and bluenose combined instead. Pressure will now be transferred to bluenose, and fish will just get wasted due to highgrading
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:40pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a bit more to it than that.
All Comm fish has to be landed. That gets rid of high grading - in theory at least.
The way I read it - for our Puka fishery is, it  will be uneconomic for them to commercially targetBN. They are basically a by-catch of puka and vice versa.
My guess is that is and end to Comm fishing where we now go for puka. So that will have an effect. It is a small step to restoring that fishery. The trawling will still take all the inshore pups, and recs will still take a decent amount of the fish out wide. But it is a start to saving depleted stocks.
After near 40 yrs of no consideration for that fish stock.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:50pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I dunno , but in my opinion we need to go to a seasonal fishing quota . No fishing for certain species during spawning .. F-----g simple . And fine the f--k out of the non compliers . The amount of snapper for example that i see taken between oct - early dec is massive . I know some who will fish every possible day , and evening and limit every time .No one needs that much fish . Let them spawn . Why we are able to take at such a time is beyond me.  Catch a feed  , not for greed ! This should be for recs and coms
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:34pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I see it this way LAP. It doesn't matter when you take a fish it is still out of the breeding pool. The difference is that for those who know how, the fish ready to spawn are easy pickings. I'm on the fence here.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 10:10pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

All Comm fish has to be landed. That gets rid of high grading - in theory at least.
The way I read it - for our Puka fishery is, it  will be uneconomic for them to commercially targetBN. They are basically a by-catch of puka and vice versa.
My guess is that is and end to Comm fishing where we now go for puka. So that will have an effect. It is a small step to restoring that fishery. The trawling will still take all the inshore pups, and recs will still take a decent amount of the fish out wide. But it is a start to saving depleted stocks.
Alan

Alan, the commercial will still fish for their quota and depending on which area their quota has been reduced. One of the down side effects I can see to the new recreational limits is that anglers may discard small hapuku/bass if favour of larger fish and this maybe more evident during contests where anglers target the bigger fish. Will be interesting to see how this impacts charter vessels especially those doing multi day trips.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 10:32pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lawabidingpoacher lawabidingpoacher wrote:

I dunno , but in my opinion we need to go to a seasonal fishing quota . No fishing for certain species during spawning ... Let them spawn ...

Agree, it would stop these sorts of shenanigans where spawning snapper were being targeted day after day.  Not my pic but I believe it shows about a 1/3rd of the boats that were there at the time.  However I digress, the OP related to new regs wrt hapuku, bass and kingi catches. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 10:32am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Alan

Alan, the commercial will still fish for their quota and depending on which area their quota has been reduced. One of the down side effects I can see to the new recreational limits is that anglers may discard small hapuku/bass if favour of larger fish and this maybe more evident during contests where anglers target the bigger fish. Will be interesting to see how this impacts charter vessels especially those doing multi day trips.

Craig, how does that work if for instance they have a small quota for puka but maybe not BN? 
Part of the change was specifically aimed at charter boats doing multi day trips. It should have an effect - you would hope. The Comms were very hot on that at the local MPI meeting on it. And they have a point.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 11:23am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan

Craig, how does that work if for instance they have a small quota for puka but maybe not BN? 
Part of the change was specifically aimed at charter boats doing multi day trips. It should have an effect - you would hope. The Comms were very hot on that at the local MPI meeting on it. And they have a point.
Regards
Alan
Alan. While I agree in principle, why not all 1/2 day/ multiple charters for all species. Too hard basket??    
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 11:24am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the reduction is reasonable, but in context of how hapuka fishing is actually done, it might prove too tempting for people to break the rules (i.e. high grading). You might catch two fish on the first drop. With no hope of release, that's the end of your day's fishing. In most parts of the country, it's a long way to travel to hapuka grounds for one drop or a couple of fish. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 3:11pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

I think the reduction is reasonable, but in context of how hapuka fishing is actually done, it might prove too tempting for people to break the rules (i.e. high grading). You might catch two fish on the first drop. With no hope of release, that's the end of your day's fishing. In most parts of the country, it's a long way to travel to hapuka grounds for one drop or a couple of fish. 
Almost guarantee comms will have their spies out looking for high graders.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 3:56pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan

Regards
Alan

Alan, I think commercial just like recreational have changed they fish and unlike recreational who arnt bound by quota commercial will have to either find more quota for the likes of Hapuku/Bass & Bluenose or stop fishing in that area. We ALL cant just keep carrying on like we have in the past.
Iam disappointed that the NZSFC has yet to acknowledge these changes publically given they were the ones who proposed the chnages to MPI
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 7:02pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - Agree Craig. Change is needed. I was hammering MPI over the puka thing for a few yrs - which is why I got invited to the submissions meeting. Only 1 other Rec there - Legasea rep.
So you seem to be agreeing with me - that if they don't have enough say BN quota, they can't afford to go fishing for Puka?
If thats is the case, that will have a big effect on preserving the stock.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 9:33am
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Strange no one has posted this up yet, least of all NZSFC or Legasea given they pushed for this change. Dont get me wrong as I dont think its bad move but you would have thought they would have have made this announcement themsleves or judging by lot of negative comments being made NZSFC socially they dont want to bear any backlash from the recreational.
Changes include:
• The combined daily bag limit of 5 hāpuku/bass and kingfish will be removed (kingfish daily bag limit remains the same at 3 per person per day)

I know I am a bit thick, but can someone explain the below. I don't understand , is it 2 or 3 per day per angler?

• Daily limit for hāpuku/bass reduced from 5 to 2 per person per day

slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 9:49am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think it means you cannot be in possession of more than three hapuka/bass per person regardless of how much time you spend on the water (e.g. two days on the water does not mean that you are allowed two times the daily bag limit). 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 9:49am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Not 100% sure myself Martyn but I'm guessing it is 2 of either with a mixed bag of three
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 10:07am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

Changes include:

I know I am a bit thick, but can someone explain the below. I don't understand , is it 2 or 3 per day per angler?

• Daily limit for hāpuku/bass reduced from 5 to 2 per person per day

The daily limit is 2/person whether they be hapuku or bass, MPI dont distinguish between the 2.
Accumulation I believe is only for those doing multi day charters.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 11:14am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So, what if I am out for a week, anchoring each night, and eat three?

I presume I can eat one/catch one on a multiday?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:31pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

So, what if I am out for a week, anchoring each night, and eat three?

I presume I can eat one/catch one on a multiday?

Just can't be in possession of more than three per person at any one time is my understanding.