Change from left hand to right hand

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2024 at 9:35pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I've believed for many years that manufacturers got it wrong when they describe a reel as right handed. 

Correct, they should be described as "right hand wind". No ambiguity there! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2024 at 10:53pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have several vintage handlines in my possession.  I believe some are left-handed and others right-handed.  Open to offers for the rarer LH models.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 7:35am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Crochet Cast Crochet Cast wrote:

I am right handed but reel with my left it’s natural to me now.

I do have a suggestion? The reel handle will naturally rotate so try moving the rod up and down while holding the handle still. This definitely won’t help with your elbow but will help train your muscle memory in your left hand. Muscle memory is just repeating a movement over and over.

The other thing to try is take the top section off one of your spinning setups and sit watching TV mindlessly just spun the reel.
That’s a great idea.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mc Tool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 10:54am
Mc Tool View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think it depends on  individual technique , how you were taught . 
I use a right hand wind overhead reel,mostly (always ) on a shorter stiff rod with 80lb braid. Winching up blue cod  is hard work as they are so big and plentiful down here  ( @#&*% jaffa's LOL ) .....or anything else that gets hauled up from under the boat  doesnt require a lot of finesse  , ergo   the bull at a gate approach.
Trout are a different story . I hold the rod in my right hand  and wind with the left . The idea being  that  the control is provided by the dominant hand  and the winching is done by the  other . Lefties will probly do the opposite . To my way of thinkin winding an eggbeater with the right hand just means double handling the rod  coz you gotta change hands all the time when casting and retrieving .
 Trout fishing  I use my left index finger to push the line over to the right index finger so as to catch the line , then flick the bail over with left hand and cast . This way my right hand always holds the rod , no shuffling about whilst fingering the line or flicking the bail over , and when your doing hundreds of casts in a session  this reduces fatigue . Only downside is that it took a bit of practice/patience  to master .
FWIW Im using an Abu  Revo 2s ,    and wouldnt buy another 
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 3:58pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

I wind a spinning reel left handed as that's what we did as kids and it seems completely natural. I'm right handed so that's my stronger side I guess and that means casting softbaits and poppers is easy and I don't have to swap hands like you see many RH'ers do when casting or fighting a decent fish. The reel is for putting line back in a safe and sensible place as you wind it in, not for dragging the fish in - that's the rod's reason for being so it tracks that your stronger arm holds the rod and does the casting etc. That point has been pretty well covered in previous posts and they're bang on.

Having said all of that, I'm comfortable using an overhead with RH wind as LH wind options are pretty rare  - something I've just got used to as really no other practical option. Most of the softbaiters and topwater anglers I'd rate highly use left-hand wind for the same reasons Mc Tool and others have also highlighted.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 4:45pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can get left hand wind everything, but it can take some searching and possibly ordering from overseas, especially for big game reels.

It doesn't take long to spot someone on YouTube/social media that is using a reel handle with the wrong hand for them. Rod is all over the place and there is no control. Some try to tuck the rod in to the opposite arm pit. What a cack-handed mess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 7:15pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gunna give it a try this weekend, change the handle to the left hand side on all my reels before I go out and will just have to make it work.

I have 3 baitcaster reels that I really don’t use much anymore, I have mainly changed over to spin reels as I prefer them for a lot of reasons.

Better drags, less maintenance and you can pickup a pretty nice spin reel for under $300.

The only baitcaster I use nowadays is on my slider setup, but I could easily go to a spin setup for this type of fishing as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 10:52pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Gunna give it a try this weekend, change the handle to the left hand side on all my reels before I go out and will just have to make it work.

I have 3 baitcaster reels that I really don’t use much anymore, I have mainly changed over to spin reels as I prefer them for a lot of reasons.

Better drags, less maintenance and you can pickup a pretty nice spin reel for under $300.

The only baitcaster I use nowadays is on my slider setup, but I could easily go to a spin setup for this type of fishing as well.

Given, according to the experts above, you've been using the 'wrong' hand to wind all these years - and you're a very capable lure fisho already - imagine how good you'll be when you've mastered using the 'right' (left) hand for winding, Kerry!! Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 11:08am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

More of an issue of having to, arm is pretty sore even holding a cell phone up to my ear is painful so there’s no way I could fish with my left hand. Doctor talking 3 to 6 months with plenty of rest for my elbow so I can’t wait that long. So this weekend I’m just gunna have to make it work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 4:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

More of an issue of having to, arm is pretty sore even holding a cell phone up to my ear is painful so there’s no way I could fish with my left hand. Doctor talking 3 to 6 months with plenty of rest for my elbow so I can’t wait that long. So this weekend I’m just gunna have to make it work.

My pick is you wont go back after a day or two of fishing
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 7:38pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am right handed.  Spin reels have ALWAYS for me been wind the handle with the (stupid) left hand, manipulate the magic in the rod with the (clever and intuitive) right hand: twitch the lure/bait with the rod so need the right hand holding the rod.  Manipulate the lure like you manipulate your dick (I mean when you have a piss rather than....:))

Overhead reels wind with the right hand since its basically a winch

PS I got tennis elbow playing golf.  I am basically really crap at golf.  Also have arthritic thumb pain.  Manage to struggle through for a fish though, but seems to flare up when her indoors wants me to do some gardening
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mc Tool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 8:31pm
Mc Tool View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone actually get tennis elbow from playing tennis , we got one who got it from his cell phone and one who says he got it playing golf  ......but I dunno LOL sounds like the golf ball wasnt the only thing getting a good whack LOL . Just one more thing Big smileis this manipulation of your dick and the lure a simultaneous thing LOLI mean there sure could be some confusion as to which hand  best to wind with.LOL
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2024 at 11:16am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shot out this morning with the neighbor for a couple of hours, still some nice fish around came home with our limit.

Fished left hand wind which wasn’t to bad, just was a bit unco-ordinated when I got a fish to the boat, but I was out there catching a feed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2024 at 1:46pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done, you made it work. Hopefully, it will get easier with practice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2024 at 3:21pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fat looking fish.
Would have liked one or two like that. I got zero today - and I was using my proper hand. Maybe I should switch.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <12