Carp around Auckland area? Where?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carp around Auckland area? Where?
    Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 2:02pm
Gibbs View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My uncle from the UK is coming over and I was wondering what lakes around Auckland, Rodney, Franklin area can be fished? (if any)

Carp. Koi, Grass carp W.H.Y.
Anything is a great help...

Cheers
One fish, two fish, red fish, Mako!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MS79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 12:55am
MS79 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've seen some big Koi 10-20lb in the Pakuranga creek when I'm walking my dogs behind the Pakuranga rugby club at Bell Park. I last saw them in February though. It's close to Howick if you wanted to go for a walk & have a look.
I've seen some big ones in Lake Pupuke, a local resident told me they hang around under the willow trees at the north eastern end 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 3:15am
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you go to Lake Pupuke you will find a ton of carp. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 1:33pm
Gibbs View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah, I've seen the ones in Pakuranga/Highland Park creek, they've been there for about 20+ years, last time I saw them was about 22 years ago...  And they were big then.
Not sure the locals would be happy somebody fishing for them... (as I believe you required to kill carp once caught) and I'm no murderer.

Tried Lake Pupuke a long time ago, (Hospital end) are you still aloud to fish it?
I know that lost a fishing line in a lake causes quite bad damage to the ducks and wild life (if you lose any that is)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 8:41pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not that many Koi in Lake Pupuke.  The ones you do see are in good sizes, 3-6kg.  

I'd take your uncle seawater fishing.  Far more enjoyable, productive, and you get to eat your catch too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 9:12am
Gibbs View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Trust me Rusty I have tried to get him onto salt! Not going to happen...  even caught a 16kg King the other month, showed him the picture and... whaa whaaaaa...  no dice!
He's just too much into his carping, and since we have monster carp here, that's whet hes after.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 9:18am
Gibbs View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The 16 kg off the Manukau... (looks smaller, but I'm 6 ft 3) (released)
If this doesn't turn you on to salt, what will?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 9:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hmmm Mako Pt?

Gibbs the Waikato River is crawling with carp. There are plenty of drains down side roads that hold plenty of big fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 9:13pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Second that i. Know people that fish close to the landing boAt ramp near us and catch plenty with some big buggers in the mix
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 10:57pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

Yeah, I've seen the ones in Pakuranga/Highland Park creek, they've been there for about 20+ years, last time I saw them was about 22 years ago...  And they were big then.
Not sure the locals would be happy somebody fishing for them... (as I believe you required to kill carp once caught) and I'm no murderer.

Tried Lake Pupuke a long time ago, (Hospital end) are you still aloud to fish it?
I know that lost a fishing line in a lake causes quite bad damage to the ducks and wild life (if you lose any that is)

Yeah mate you're still allowed to fish Poo lake. 
I must say though, last time I was in there we had little luck finding many. Lots of tench but not too many Koi Carp. Night time was best with bread. I was also surprised at the underwater structure in that lake. It's a massive drop off in many places with big freshwater vegetation. Very tall. There were a few holes in the vegetation where if you stood in it it would somewhat tower over you. I'm 190cm and it was well over my head. The fish seem to wedge and hide in those weeds. Goodluck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote In search of carp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 2:46pm
In search of carp View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

H
Hey too am a carper....

Was interested in reading other anglers are here after these monsters....obviously this is a; old thread, but do you still fish for carp..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigBossMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:56am
BigBossMan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Caught two this morning - note for scale the Buck knife is 9 inches.

Two others were big enough to break my 8lb line. In a stormwater settling pond.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 12:22pm
Spiceman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello sir.
Would you mind sharing the exact location?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote richrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 3:49am
richrich View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There are heaps in Lake Panorama in West Auckland......does anyone know the legalities regarding fishing methods in suburban Auckland?- ( some of the locals might freak out if people started fishing their beloved goldfish- especially if you pull out a bow and started bowfishing them.....the armed offenders squad are getting a bit edgy in west Auckland )
I have heard they make good bait/ Burley . Are there any other uses? (garden fertilizer etc.....)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 7:10am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by richrich richrich wrote:

There are heaps in Lake Panorama in West Auckland......does anyone know the legalities regarding fishing methods in suburban Auckland?- ( some of the locals might freak out if people started fishing their beloved goldfish- especially if you pull out a bow and started bowfishing them.....the armed offenders squad are getting a bit edgy in west Auckland )
I have heard they make good bait/ Burley . Are there any other uses? (garden fertilizer etc.....)

Unless, there's a local no fishing rule which is unlikely, then go for it. Might still cause some upset. People say they make good bait, I'm not convinced, but snapper will eat anything at times. Good fertiliser. Merry Christmas! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 7:52am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

If you are near the North Shore there is the upper regions of Lucas Creek behind the Library & the High school further up from the bridge there is the plus of a very tranquil forest riverside track.

A bit further SW is a quarry lake/pond down Sunnyside Rd then turn
left ... look for a RH turn not far from the forestry dead ed (locked ?) gate.

Not only can carp be fished for but it is encouraged almost to the point of compulsory kill, The Waikato bow hunters run a long weekend compulsory kill competition & one year scored something in the region of 18 tonnes which is welcomed by the locals so no need to worry about the locals getting upset about anyone fishing for them.

Some folk rave about them used as SWater bait but personally I have found it useless & as for eating ... geez surely their stink would prevent anyone to even be remotely tempted to do so .. nevertheless have seen Asian folk proudly carrying one or two back home.

Good luck but PLEASE PLEASE kill any KOI caught.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 9:43am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hereā€™s one from when I was fly fishing down Waiuku ways
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 10:01am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza
PCJ has been granted exemption from wearing a mask when he is wearing his fishing clothes in recognition of the fact that he never catches anything when wearing then !!

May now have the anwser as why no catching,just been talking to our local netter and he doesnt net Orere  Pt tp Clevedon flats November to end of January.  It is the local area for hammerheads to pup,one of the main gulf grounds for puppying.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 8:34pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I was gifted 30kg of koi carp from a bow hunter. Defrosted and filleted it after descaling it with the water blasteršŸ˜. Took out the fillets over the west coast along with other bait. And didn't touch anything else the big koi baits had 40 snapper by 0930.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 7:46am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Few yrs back.. old posts, played with koi as bait and burley on the east coast..
Yeah made good bait.

Been thinking for a while about taking the boat up the Waikato a bit, then just spend a quiet day drifting back down, and thru a few of the creeks upsteam of hoods landing.
 I believe its smaller hooks a float with bit of sweet corn as bait ???
Going from accounts of locals, mainly kids having fun, they put up a damn good fight...