Car Feedback ...please

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 7:25pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tough choice on what to use ,buy for towing our beloved boats around. I have just brought a older model 2007 Ranger to replace an even older model Surf 91 2.4 lts Manual 5 speed. Sold the Surf for $500.00  less than I brought it for 12 yrs ago. Only used 4wd Low range due to its lack of power towing the boat up the boat ramp. Never had any speeding tickets with or without the boat so that has to be a bonus. We also have another vehicle for the family type trips and the wife has got to get to work. So get something she wants to drive to work while you are out fishing very important,  Happy Wife Happy Life. 
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 8:06pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by puff puff wrote:

Don’t buy a Ute they are so overrated and unpractical, get a Toyota prado..... great for everything u can throw at it...

I can fit over 2 cubes of fire wood in the back of mine, smash it, bang it, push skip bins, pull stumps out, tow boats, cheery pickers, 8 seats, hop in it covered in mud, 200+ kilos of tools in the back. Generally just treat it like crap and it keeps on trucking.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 8:18pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The other good thing about a Ute is they have a proper chassi and designed for towing. Not sure about some Suvs and cars.

A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 8:22pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

No matter what the ute, someone has a horror story. I know people who hate Rangers, love Rangers, hate Colorado's, love Colorado's, hate Hi Lux's, love Hi Lux's, hate Terrano's, love Terrano's, love Amorok's hate Amorok's. True, I hear all the arguments. Bit of a pattern there. 

Personally I'd be a happy little man if i had any one of them.

I've heard similar stories from other tradies at work. Some get a good run out of a certain brand and stick with that make for years and years. I honestly think that most of the late model utes are a much of a muchness. There's bad ones amongst the good. Like all vehicles and boats, nothing will suit everything, and everything is a compromise.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 9:34pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don’t listen to the ute propaganda, a landcruiser will tow better, ride better, 4wd better and be better for your family... plus all your stuff is inside the vehicle not outside... tools bikes etc...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 9:40pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There's proper Landcruisers, then there are Prados (sorry, I meant Camrys with a different top).
Each to their own. SUVs and utes are very different types of vehicles.

At least nobody's mentioned a Rav4! (hope Redfinger's not listening)Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 7:18am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The first Prados were referred to as Landcruiser 2's. Lighter built than previous landcruisers. The running gear was pretty much Hilux running gear. They retained the beam axles but changed to coil sprung. Later models changed to IFS.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:51am
Titanium
Titanium

All good, mate. We've all just been giving our opinions in answer to the question, i just didn't like being called a 'propagandist'.

After a heck of a lot of research our choice came down to a second hand Prado or Hilux and for our needs, the latter was our call. But I know people with the older model Prado that did 300,000+kms and loved their truck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:18am
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just to clarify, I wasn’t calling anyone a propagandist, just saying when it comes to utes it’s seems like it’s trendy to have one, and they are the shizz in every way. Half of them are not even 4wd...
A year ago I had to make the same decision, a tradesperson that wanted a vehicle for work, towing and family that was comfortable on long trips.
Having my tools on the back of a Ute just wasn’t an option, and when u put a lid on a ute u just can’t fit much in. As mentioned earlier I like as much gear as possible inside the vehicle.
Camry/Prado whatever u like to call it, for us was the best choice for us and it’s a 7 seater
Only my opinion, not knocking utes (to much) but I do think they are overrated a little bit... fashion accessory for builders 😀
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:45am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My 2005 petrol Prado did 200,000kms, trouble free. 2015 Diesel Prado is 50,000 in and going strong. Ladder chassis and low ratio. 2.8D is no rocket ship (petrol was!) but plenty of torque. Keep looking at utes for next replacement, but when I went to load one up, tray with hard lid was tiny space, canopy is larger, but for my use, Prado does it all better. Horses for courses :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 12:36pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

I have a couple of questions along the same vein but more along the lines of FWD vs RWD regards traction on a motorhome.

Rather than risk hijacking this thread will start a new one & look forward to valued opinion from members.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:00pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by puff puff wrote:

just saying when it comes to utes it’s seems like it’s trendy to have one, and they are the shizz in every way. Half of them are not even 4wd...

I certainly agree on that. All the black Ford Rangers and Hilux trucks around urban areas with optional sports kits, tinted windows, low profile wheels etc. I'm sure the owners are making a statement, just not sure what! Like the US market with those giant, pointless, trucks.
Our old SR5 is very much a worker for my wife's horse sports and fishing.

I also agree that there seems little practicality in a ute with a flat lid, or an open top, unless you're a contractor who needs to put machinery or tools in an open tray, and for farmers who carry all manner of stuff from sick calves to post hole borers, and rarely park where stuff can get nicked. Then they tend to add a Fort Knox style steel box for their valuables, or dog boxes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:55pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a manual 2WD Colorado with a hard lid. I love it. Great for holidays, fishing, towing and general yard work. It could be a workhorse if need-be, or it can be a no drama commuter. You cant do that with a station wagon unless you want to wreck it. Thats why I am an urban ute owner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 7:06pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i got to drive our work utes (hilux) to and from the boat show a few weeks back and then had a chance to drive a new prado this week.

I definitely know which one I would rather drive around Auckland and it's not the hilux.

prado is a pretty sweet ride with plenty of bells and whistles and heaps of room inside.

that's my 2c

chur
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 7:39pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Iv got a vw Amarok. 2.0 manual. Owned it for about 4 years now and it hasnt missed a beat. Tows my ht like its not even there. Gets close to a 1000 kms out of a tank of gas out on open road. Drives beautifully. Im a builder so its essential to have tints and big tyres fitted.
All the tools go in the back easily.... under a hard lid... for one main reason, prying eyes.
A pasload nail gun case is bright orange and is pretty much a shining beacon to any thieving piece of s..t.  At $1000 per gun ( you need 2... a finishing gun aswell) Its costly to have them nicked. And thats just the start...alot of gear is in cases (battery drills etc) so its easy to grab and run off with.
So yeah.... loading up an suv with tools is a burglary waiting to happen. Not to mention trashing the inside of the vehicle.....Oh and having sawdust from ya dropsaw blow all over you and your passengers when you drive with the windows down aint much fun either. 
As for the dub being a good 4x4. I only ever beach launch... never been stuck. Even pulled out my brothers boat when his poxy ranger wild trak couldnt... mainly thanks to  big show off tyres ( cooper a/ts are awsome)
Would I buy another one? Absolutely. These trucks definitely have alot of haters. I couldnt care less. Dont knock it until ya try it. Fantastic vehicle. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gkglazer@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:10pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thread has turned into a ute vs SUV discussion Smile I'm in the SUV corner.  A ute maybe good if you are tradesman but I can stick a 2.5m length inside my small Jeep (patriot so it is a small one) and with the rear seats down has more luggage room then any ute tray with hard lid. If I want to cart something messy I just lay a tarp down, if I want to cart a lot then I tow a trailer.   

A purpose designed SUV will always be better handling on the road then a ute because like all designs compromises have to be made.  A ute is designed to carry loads, a SUV for carrying people. A lot of people have brought utes because its "trendy" when an SUV would be much better for them. You should choose a type of vehicle by making a list of what you need and not what you want.  If for example you get a load of firewood once or twice a year but the rest of the time use the vehicle to go to work and back or tow a boat in the weekends then why not get a SUV and hire a trailer for the firewood?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 8:53am
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had to replace my ageing 350km Mazda Atenza wagon last year, 
I looked at Jap import Prado's but they are all listed for around $40K complete with tobacco odour as an option.
I bought brand new 2WD double cab Colorado for $42K  (arranging own finance allowed about $10K to be negotiated off the price) with 3 years warrantee and 3 years free servicing.
No doubt the Prado is an awesome vehicle but it should be as it is a more expensive option.
The Colorado is still a bloody awesome and very versatile vehicle, very happy. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 1:49pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

At an older job I had we decided on Ford a Rangers for the farm reps. I wanted to have a drive after reading so many good things about them. It might be a fine work vehicle but it was just awful to drive. Certainty can’t see what anyone would drive one who didn’t actually need it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 3:56pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is fun. Ill put my oar in. I cant understand why so many buy a wellside ute, when a flat deck does the same job much better - because, can - put flat panels on the back, and use it as a workbench - and its high so much easier getting stuff on and off - and can carry loads of stuff like sand and potting mix.
Ive concluded its a fashion statement, rather than practical.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote post hole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 6:31pm
post hole View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cost s **** load to put a flat deck on . A lot of Utes don’t come out as cab and chassis either. I’ve got a flat deck and wouldn’t have it any other way .
Page  <123>