Canterbury Spearos Thread...

Page  <12345 365>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Besty. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 4:21pm
Besty. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i will prob fly down for that. catch up with a few chch mates.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vip_yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 4:46pm
vip_yo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went to kaiks for sat/sunday. Seen all you guys at your spot while we were looking for a spot. Looked like you had just got out. We tried up north but south was the better option.
Ended up entering by barneys rock. Vis was crap there but not bad after a short swim around the point.
Seen all those jelly things you're talking about. Look like some sort of fish eggs or something??
Had 4 or 5 seals jumping in and around me. Was a bit worried they might steal my butters.. Anyone ever had that happen??
Had a huge school of small kahawai circle me as well while the seals were there.. Almost like the seals rounded them up.. haha.. Was just waiting something bigger to appear.

We ended up with 7 butterfish and some paua. Seen plenty more but we had enough for a couple of feeds. Only seen small moki. no biggies. 
The swell dropped as the day went on so decided to go for a fish on the boat.
Was super calm and thousands of baracoutta everywhere. They were jumping out of the water chasing baitfish. Stayed out till sunset and towed in another boatie whos battery went flat.

Southerly wind picked up this morning so ruined the sea again Unhappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bad uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 9:03pm
Bad uncle View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hay vip yo

im still geting use to the seals, but from what ive heard, they are nuffing to worry bout. me and a mate had one charge us on the top of the water but just turn away at the last moment, gets the heart rate up so has to be good for you ae??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 9:39pm
Teezer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went up to Kaiks for the weekend.  Jumped in on my favourite reef as I was passing it Friday evening.  It was choppy but the vis was good enough to secure several butters and some nice moki, along with a cray and some paua.  Looked for blue cod (my new target species) but no joy - not enough sandy areas.  Met up wih a mate at the campsite and ate some fish for tea whilst planning the weekend.

Sat morning, headed out at first light off the seal sanctuary.  Vis was disappointing, and fish life on the weed minimal.  However, this gave me a chance to put the gun sight firmly on the blue cod, and so a few kina went into the catch bag in preparation.  Out over the sand I smashed those boys up and on the next dive there were a good few cod there.  It works!  Nailed the largest, and then got two of his smaller buddies which were legal - but only by a cm or so.  Still - legal's legal!  Well chuffed with that, we headed back for some brekkie.

As Felixx mentions, saw him and the Chch massiv pull up as we wandered to the carpark.  Pointed them back down coast, and after a feed followed them.  The bay we went back to was f*cking rough, with the rising tide making entry and exit 'interesting' however it was deffo the best spot across the area.  I slaughtered a few more butters and got some pauas, but my fish cull was nothing on that of the massiv, who are truly sharpening their spearing skills.  ChCh will be feasting on fish this week!

After a couple of hours, we outed, said our goodbyes and headed off for lunch.  After that, it was time to try out South Bay.  It was flat, but vis was real bad with a ground swell kicking the place up bad.  Still, always up for an opportunity to get wet, I carried on regardless, and good job I did!  After ages of nothing, I came across what I thought was a huge school of moki.  But they don't school that big - usually they are in threes and fours, not 100's.  So I investigated closer and blow me if they didn't look like terakihi, but that just didn't make sense.  8m deep, Kaikoura, turkeys?  Nah.  So I figured spearing one was just the ticket, and here it is:

Warehou maybe?  The slime was real sticky, the flesh and head/ body was soft, the pectorals reached back past the anal vent, the front dorsal was short with small spiney rays.  After death, the scales flaked off real easy, and the skin also marked easily.  Black spot just behind the gill plate. What's the professional opinion?  It was 30cm long. 

After that boy, I found a hefty blue cod (can't stay away from them!) and that was in the murk of 10m down with about 3m vis.  Worth giving it a bash anyway.

Finally this avo I headed out with a mate on his jetski.  Now THIS is the wayt to spearfish!  The swell had increased overnight and the coast looked pretty closed out, but 10 mins out on the ski and we were in some clear water.  Jump in on a reef and it looks like an aquarium!  10m vis, butters and wrasse everywhere.  Having buttered myself out I tried for a decent moki but there were loads of small boys and no big ones.  Ah well  - it was worth it all the same.  The trip back ws slow as the swell was still increasing.  Had a last dip at South Bay Reef but that was rough as toast and I was soon out of there and back on dry land.

And then I left my spearguns by the car, forgot about them, and drove off.  If anyone finds / comes across a black freedivers 90 cm gun with yellow writing and a green leash to a silver shark clip, alongside a black freedivers 90 cm gun with silver writing and a white cord leash to a silver shark clip, that were left to the right had side parking area of the private launch ramp in South Bay then please let me know!

A sad end to an otherwise awesome weekend of spearing fun.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 9:54pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, a warehou - tasty when fresh. Did the others take off when you speared that one? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 10:07pm
Teezer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah - they all cleared off pretty sharpish into the gloom, then I came across them again briefly before they spooked.  It was groovy to see something new and different.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 10:11pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

score!
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearoMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 10:28pm
SpearoMike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice, i saw a school of them at the Si champs, Were a bit cagy when you aproach them. I was not 100% sure what they were but i am not after looking at your pic. I am guessing its quite rear to spear one specially down there??
here fishy fishy.......... ><(((((º> ............><(((((º>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Besty. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 10:57pm
Besty. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ive seen a large school around that size off the peninsula in maybe 10ish meters. just saw the lips swimming toward me then all of a sudden a large school as they turned broad side. That was May 07. Have checked the pin a couple of times since but not a sign.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:44am
mjl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sweet fish teezer well done!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 11:59am
Teezer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers guys.  I suppose they're rare down here as I've never seen them before - any other S. iIlanders care to comment?  A fisheries mate says they get trawled pretty heavily but that's in 20m to 200m.  I'm chuffed with them anyway, and it's Warehou fillets for tea tonight.  To top it all off, my gear has been found and is awaiting collection.  Sweet!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vip_yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 12:58pm
vip_yo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice..

I've never seen Warehou whilst in the water. But when I lived in Akaroa I set a net out infront of the fish and chip shop. Ended up with a school of around 20 of them.
So they are about. just maybe not so common whilst spearing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote L Akaloa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 6:54pm
L Akaloa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just heard rumors of a 20 kg kingfish caught on a rod off New Brighton, don't know how far out though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Besty. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 7:30pm
Besty. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good luck with the viz off brighton
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MattB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 10:53pm
MattB2 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm heading down to Chch on friday from welly- taking the car on the ferry and was thinking of a dive in Kaikoura on the way through.. Anyone know what the conditions will be like then?  If anyone is keen for a dive give me a PM
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 11:08pm
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

doesn't look ideal on the long range but you'll probably find a place to jump in- you'll be wanting to try and find somewhere out of the southerly swell... you *might* be in luck on one of the bays close to the seal colony, but the close ones aren't as good for fish / crays. maybe somewhere around goose bay - it isn't normally so bad in a southerly swell. I imagine the north coast will be ****e.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 11:09pm
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

but then last time I gave out weather advice it was to a mad frenchman and he loved it when I said it would be rubbish, so YMMV Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MattB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 11:11pm
MattB2 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers for that R Jack - will have a look and theres always on the way home 10 days after that..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bad uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 7:12pm
Bad uncle View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

anyone going out for a dive this weekend?? weather ant that flash but sat moring might be ok
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 8:26pm
Teezer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

fd3s - I will be heading up Sat morning to go pick up my gear from Dive Kaikoura.  May as well jump in whilst we're up there.  Me + 1 - you're welcome to join.  Back by 2pm tho, so it'll be splash and dash.
Page  <12345 365>