Canterbury kingfish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waveryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canterbury kingfish
    Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 10:54pm
waveryder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Did anyone out there have much luck last season with the kingfish out lyttelton / scarborough heads. Gave it a good crack but could only get barracuda. Any pointers for the up and coming summer? Looked for kelp, trolled lures round the heads...tried everything
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote boomdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 8:21pm
boomdog View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Did you throw poppers at the weed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waveryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 8:46pm
waveryder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There was minimal kelp every time we headed out, waited for eastrlys to bring some in and alright seas, the small amounts we found just casted grim reapers and rapala x-raps, headed out to the tide line a few times also. But struggled to find good kelp rafts. Fish out motunau also and saw a nice group of kingies around the boat and kelp but didn't have and luck with fast retreives also
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MadKeen# Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 10:37am
MadKeen# View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We got plenty out there last season but the weather didn't make it easy. You really have to pick your days when the conditions suit. When the water temp is over 15 degrees   and the clear blue water is in close you should find them. Find the kelp, stop at least 50m up wind and shut the motor off so you drift towards it. Cast a grim reaper as close to the kelp as possible and rip it back in as fast as you can. If there are fish there you will see them. The grim reaper will draw them out but they won't usually take it so drop a knife jig as soon as you get a follow up. 95% of our fish are taken mechanical jigging after finding them on the top water gear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waveryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:42pm
waveryder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome cheers. Yeah struggled to find good days with kelp rafts last summer, and mainly trolled rapalas, and the odd cast with grimreaper on small bits of weed. Was just using a shimano baitrunner setup. So could probably keep that for top lures? And invest in a jigging setup? Determined to get one in the boat this summer!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MadKeen# Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 8:30pm
MadKeen# View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The baitrunner set will do the trick if you can wind fast enough and don't get talked into a heavy jig set if you're only using it for Canterbury kings. 200g is the heaviest jig you need out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waveryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 8:48pm
waveryder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great cheers. Might head into h&f tomorrow and see if they have any cheapish combos going, as it will only be for canterbury kings, and abit in sounds maybe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 5:18am
EFC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi I have caught Kingies in the Hauraki Gulf using poppers. Just need to find structure. Behind a buoy or floating weed. I am a land based fisho in CHCH. I really enjoy my fishing but I dont have many contacts here. Originally from UK. If anyone has space on a boat I am more than happy to share costs fuel/food for a chance to have a fish.Cheers guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waveryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 7:38pm
waveryder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze