CANTERBURY KAYAK FISHING CLUB

Page  <1 268269270271>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 420reload Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 7:08pm
420reload View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Been a few cod about and the moki in good numbers in close
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 1:13am
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

been some time since ive posted here, thats cos ive pretty much had a year off due to other stuff going on!.....im gonna try to get out one more time tho in the next few weeks..... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 1:54am
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thomast, with reguards your questions....viking 400 as suggested will do the job very nicely, for a rod  i don't buy into the long rod argument of being able to reach around the front of the yak, i prefer a short 5-5.5'' powerful rod with a soft  through action, this gives you plenty of pulling power and keeps the center of gravity nice and close to the boat, which means you can enjoy the avarage blue cod yet really give big fish some hurt if need be. the best rods ive fund that provide this although not built for bottom bashing (99% of what we do) are vertical jigging rods.there are plenty of these rods on the market , i use an uglystick, bluewater, 30-120g, pe3 jig  rod for most of my fishing, retail around $200. if you don't want to spend that much look at the cheaper boat rods in the 8-10 kg bracket preferably a glass  tipped one as these are good tough rods (ugly stick, abu from the warehouse, shimano jelly tip), for a reel for general fishing avoid eggbeaters, go for  an overhead/free spool of medium size (penn, shimano, maybe okuma) look for simple and tough with smooth drag, spool it up with 30lb braid with a 4m 80lb mono leader.....one thing i often see is people who spend large on all this flash shiney stuff then scrimp on the basics   like hooks and rigs,these things cost fish and lead to frustration,so learn to tie good  tough dropper rigs on 60-80lb mono always use good hooks preferably circle hooks (mustad demon size 8/0-10/0) its worth checking out online stores such as marine deals r for bulk packs at good prices. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 9:51am
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

winter blues.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monsterbishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 4:56pm
Monsterbishi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got home from work this arvo to see a shag struggling to swallow a baby flounder today it's natures way of saying 'go fishing'...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 3:16pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

time to grease the gear 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 7:55am
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the moki are in

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monsterbishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 7:01pm
Monsterbishi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by gollyfish gollyfish wrote:

the moki are in

Big smile Great news! (For the Moki, I'm stuck paint at the mo!)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 10:18am
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

with kaikora out for at least a year, its probably a good time to check out some new pasture's and re-visit some old ones. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote loco stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 2:26pm
loco stu View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yup, got a lot of local fishing and new spots to find. Moki, cod  etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chook01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 9:13am
chook01 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I hope MAF react quickly and lower the cod limit south of KK. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 2:13pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MAF likes to wait until a  fishery is severely depleted before lowering the limit. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chook01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 11:45am
chook01 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Thomas how are you? I hope you're wrong.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 10:22pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

with deep sorrow, i copy and paste......Sad news members .a dear friend of this group passed away today . RIP Doug yaxley
< rel="async" ="commentable_item" method="post" -ft=""tn":""" ="https://www.facebook.com/ajax/ufi/modify.php" id="u_jsonp_2_1u" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 10:19pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Such tragic news, Shame to lose such a valuable contributor and keen angler. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote chook01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 2:41pm
chook01 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A good trip was just had over to Haast on the Yaks, a lillte bit short but awesome all the same. Tuna were there but sadly we didn't manage to keep any on the hook, and the weather only gave us one good window to get out wide. We did manage 2 nice Kingies and heaps of Cod and Crays. It's a shame the forum is so quiet and only 2 of us were there. Hopefully we can encourage a few more guys along next time. If anyones ever keen drop a us a line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 3:20pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good going, I must get back down there myself. Dust off the fishing kayak and associated gear. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marc Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:47pm
Marc Jensen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All! 

I am a newbie and just got myself a Mission Extreme 420. Needing to upgrade it and turn it into a fishing kayak.

What flush mount rod holders would you recommend?

Once I am up to speed I need to get together with some of you pros to learn the ropes!

Cheers

Marc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chook01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 9:09am
chook01 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Marc

I'd suggest you head into Paddler Zone they normally have a good selection of gear. We can help you with setting up an anchor rig and other bits and bobs but always easier if we can see your yak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marc Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 5:55pm
Marc Jensen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Team,

Who's heading to Lake Coleridge for the fishing competition?

Anyone going to take their Kayak? I will be there with my Mission Xstrem 420. So come by and say hello.

Anyone Kayaked Lake Coleridge before?
Page  <1 268269270271>