Can you ever be too prepared?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 6:00pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here are,some insights DIY and PJC and others.
Your concerns over other parties on your boat can be easily addressed.

When you take others on your boat, choose the appropriate person or regular companion to completely understand and handle your craft.

I always do what seems the painful thing, which is to give newbies an insight into the boats operation and safety options or procedures.

All of the people that come on my boats can launch and retrieve them and run the boat while out.

Those that are less familiar or first timers I get them to handle or operate the boat.
Most get satisfaction and enjoyment in them participating in handling the craft and understanding.

It's a way to give them confidence, enjoyment, and security.
It also gives me the same.

I've used this technique all my life.

And wether on my boats or machinery, aged 4 to 90 I have great crew who get a great experience for a day out. I can trust overtime that they will bring everyone home.

I'm not a tourist boat or a bus.
I'm out for a,great day for friends, boating and fishing , and if we get lucky, catching.
Well planned catching, still lucky..
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 6:40pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Totally agree with your way Mattoo, I have taught my kids to operate the boat to the point where I am a mere passenger at times..if I want to be skipper I have to go out without them..
Mates, partners, I show them the basics of driving, starting, using the radio, pulling the anchor, though if I had collapsed and they needed to get to shore in a hurry, I'd be ok with cutting the anchor rope if they were unable to lift it..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 6:59pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

Totally agree with your way Mattoo, I have taught my kids to operate the boat to the point where I am a mere passenger at times..if I want to be skipper I have to go out without them..
Mates, partners, I show them the basics of driving, starting, using the radio, pulling the anchor, though if I had collapsed and they needed to get to shore in a hurry, I'd be ok with cutting the anchor rope if they were unable to lift it..

Used to have a small float and a dog clip at end of anchor line where it attached to boat. ...So at least if I was  being mauled to death by a Great White while I was diving - Wifey just had to un-clip line and throw the lot over the side and come and retrieve what would be left of me.  Then pick up anchor later....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:36pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

Used to have a small float and a dog clip at end of anchor line where it attached to boat. ...So at least if I was  being mauled to death by a Great White while I was diving - Wifey just had to un-clip line and throw the lot over the side and come and retrieve what would be left of me.  Then pick up anchor later....

Just dont tell her how much you are insured for...
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:53pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Originally posted by e.m.p! e.m.p! wrote:

... only advantage I can see is the motor stops if the skipper goes overboard ...

exactly this. As a spearo on the occasional solo missions in my little dinghy, I never go out without the kill switch rope attached to my hand. Cuts out the motor when rushing up front to drop the anchor, but that’s a small price for safety

Hmnn ... have you thought how vulnerable you could be in the (God Forbid) you went over board.

You would be bobbing around in the water with a key attached to yourself via a cord & the boat maybe 30 mtrs away due to way on after
motor cuts out then current & wind takes over after you have recovered your thoughts & decided what best to do ... how far away will the boat be by then & even if you had a passenger on board they would not be able to start the motor without the key ... guess that would a good reason to have a spare on board.

This sennario probably not applicable to you as sounds like is a pull start motor so all that would be required to get going would be to flick the switch back on.
That’s why I like the Mercury kill cords you can switch the kill switch back on again, the Yamaha has the kill cord that pushes in around and holds the switch closed, even though I have tied a bit of rope around these ones in the past to start the motor.

yes and yes. I have a small 15hp Mercury with pull start, flick the switch up and you’re back in business. I’m always in the shallows (anchor in max 20m), close to the coast and in the last 2 years I went out only once or twice on my own. I enjoy the company and my buddies and I often take turns riding each others’ boats, so we even know all the little quirks to get them started.
Interesting thread though, makes me think a lot about boat safety.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 6:48am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not only boats. Went for a motor bike ride from the Tron to Awakino then up coast road to Marakopa. Stopped at an old tunnel at the beach and went for a walk. Tried to start bike when I got back....nothing. No cell phone coverage. Looked bike over and all seemed fine but wouldn't start. Track too gravelly to push start.
Sat down and had a think then realised to ignition start sequence wasn't right then voila, I must have engaged the stop switch and so it was. Never done that before.
I had no plan B. The track to the beach was several km to the 'main' road. and way too far to push a bike. Still easy fix once I'd twigged but was a tad worried.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 7:29pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry - late replies guys.
Had to get boat to town y/day for some welding for boat and organise for new trailer build.
Gone early this morning for fishing - last day for a while, with no/low wind.
Bazza - as you found - that sw is independant of the ignition sw, and this motor is Identical to yours - Merc.
Yep - mine was a a.se clenching moment.
You can very suddenly start to feel vunerable. But I did feel I had most stuff covered, as much as I could. I had plenty of water on board - enough for weeks. Flares, VHF, EPIRB.
Problem was no one would be in VHF range - never saw any boats after banana boats gone (never heard of a banana boat with VHF - or lifejackets, bilge pump... etc etc), nor heard any radio chatter. Most likely no other boats around my side of island.
But that kill switch..........
I am going to disable it. It is no use to me. Yes I fish mostly on my own - so I guess it should have a lanyard (gone when I bought the boat - I am 2nd owner). But how do you game fish in a boat with a kill sw lanyard tied to you??
I had been planning to bring a PLB over to tie to me - got into a knot with aviation as to whether I could fly it. I believe I can -but you should have seen the strife I had with bozos at Akl with an EPIRB with no batteries in it.
But I am always tied in to the boat - if I go over, the boat and me are an item.
Anyway, it was a bit of a fright and made me think over what preps I have - once again.
The EPIRB is registered with Wgtn - but all the contacts for this boat are local here.
Have another EPIRB registered in Wgtn for the NZ boat - with NZ contacts.
The irony is one of my local contacts was out looking for me and beyond phone range. But there is one or two back up contacts.
Just shows you how important all these little things are.
Regards
Alan 

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 7:04am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So here is another similar trap you may not wish to fall in to.
I never take the ignition key out. Been sitting in the ignition for years. Then last yr it got sluggish on the barrel return. Was getting sticky returning to Run from Start.
So I pulled the key to maybe get some lube in there. Try and free things up.
That can be a fatal mistake - if you are on the water. Luckily I was on dry land and a day or so later when things were sorted, was not an issue.
The pins in the barrel lock all got jammed in the wrong place and would not return. The little springs could not push against the crud on the pins.
That required pulling the ignition barrel out, which required dismantling the remote control box. Then dismantling the barrel. From memory I had to drill a couple of holes in just the right spot to access a couple of pins.
If you pull the key and a pin jams - you are locked out of your boat. You cannot jump start the motor in that position - assuming you had suitable cable in the boat (I do).
You are in exactly the same position as that kill switch fiasco. And looking for a tow home.
Alan

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 8:15pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another useful tip thanks Alan. 
I too leave the key in the ignition permanently as a few times I've been at the ramp and spoken to chaps that are either on their way back up the ramp or waiting for the key to arrive. On one occasion during a comp at Tuts one of the crew on a boat had to return to Auckland the night before and the key was in his pocket. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 2:02pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

****! I'll bet that cost him a fair few cans.
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 9:16am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Derek F Derek F wrote:

****! I'll bet that cost him a fair few cans.

Derek ... maybe your "must have onboard" list shore include a pair of prescription eye glasses if we get out together sometime. 
Scored a much needed hair cut this morning so now on the way to Mitre 10 to take back the hedge trimmer !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 3:45pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haha, I think you're right Bazza.  Was a memorable day and love to try again sometime.
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 10:46pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Derek F Derek F wrote:

Haha, I think you're right Bazza.  Was a memorable day and love to try again sometime.

OK you're on ... but can't promise that things will go as smoothly as last time !!
Scored a much needed hair cut this morning so now on the way to Mitre 10 to take back the hedge trimmer !!
Page  <12