Calm before the cyclone

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calm before the cyclone
    Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 4:37pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sitting here looking out side makes me appreciate the recent weather window.

Shot up north for a solo run.

Had a great day, went 3-3-1. Played with a couple of stripeys in the morning on shotgun and short rigger, then in the afternoon long rigger got hit and the ocean emptied with the splash this fish left.

Got fish to boat in just over 20 minutes.
grabbed a few pictures and sent fish on its way. After reviewing photos and speaking to a few others with more knowledge than I we are calling this as a blue.

Awesome day on the water, and another solo marlin, which was caught in same spot as another solo stripey I caught on 7 Feb 2020
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 6:28pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Geoff. Cheers for the company and yarns the other day Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 6:39pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Doug.
Enjoyed rafting up and the banter. Will need to do it again after this blow passes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 7:34am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

No expert as I hardly ever see blues, but I agree, it is a blue from what I can see. Great work in stealing that window from the weather gods!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 1:14pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Do you have any other pics of the fish?
Certainly the downward turn of the lower jaw is a characteristic of blues. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 3:51pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here you go fish addict.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 5:40pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Although the height of the first dorsal is not fully shown in the second pic it looks to be shorter than what I would have expected for a stripey.  I think the blue call is on the money.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 7:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

Here you go fish addict.

Blue baby, blue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 8:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Ummmm that's an elaborate bill wrap :) how big do you estimate the fish to be? 90'ish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 8:54pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tend to agree smudge,

in the heat of the moment, still harnessed up, holding bill, kneeling on floor hanging over side, trying to tie boat painter, while trying to get some photos single handed with wet hands I may have put in an extra couple of wraps in snood.

I did not want snood to slip off before I got photos.

Using length I put it conservatively at 140kg.

Learnings from this solo run are be not to leave soft snood rope on garage bench, take better measurements and photos.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 10:27pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great work Geoff. That is awesome catch solo on a blue. Having beer or coffee with Doug/ Krow would been good as well. Fish were certainly on chew that week before the storm. Hopefully as good after.