Buccaneer Billfisher

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bill fisher 5.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buccaneer Billfisher
    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 10:02pm
Bill fisher 5.5 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a 5.5 Billfisher and looking to upgrade my motor. Currently has a 2014 115 4 stroke Yamaha on it but feel it’s pretty sluggish.
If you have a 5.5 or the newer 565 Billfisher what motor have you got and what are your rough fuel figures?
Would be a great help.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:53am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Your biggest problem is most brands of motor get significantly heavier at the next hp size. That extra weight might be an issue.
What is the boat rated to?
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:33pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi there dave, my first 550 billfisher had a 115 evenrude flict engine did around 600 trouble free hur on that set up but was slightly underpowered I currently have a 565 billfisher with a 140 hp Suzuki and the difference is like night and day, a 130 or 140 hp outboard on the 550 would transform your boat, I did go in a 550 with a 150 evenrude etec and that went well but I wouldn't swap it for the 140 hp Suzuki. Give me a call any time if u want to talk billfisher 😁.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bill fisher 5.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:39pm
Bronze
Bronze

The CPC plate says it rated to 150.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:27pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

similarly - we had a 565 with a 200hpdi on the bum - that combo would do less than 1 lpnm at any speed between 20 and 40kts
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:20pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a 130hp FICHT on my Seafarer Ventura (5.5). It was perfectly powered. The issue you have with 4 strokes is the extra weight.

But I suspect you will be fine with a 130hp yamaha 4 stroke (or Honda). But if were me I would go a 150hp Etec. They are no different to any EFI engine, ie 4 strokes. You just have to service the petrol filters (should have one in boat as well) and the oil and check a couple of other things and your chances of blowing and injector are no different to any other efi engine, ie 4 strokes, the only difference is cost, they about 3x the cost of a yamaha injector, although you have 4 on a 4stroke. So the real take home is have it (or do yourself) serviced as per the service book. Those items yearly and then every 300hrs of 3 years take it in for its major service, where they will also update any software required etc.

Have you got a permatrim and a stainless prop designed for holeshot? This is the main issue for 4 strokes vs 2. They struggle out of the hole, they get to speed slowly but smoothly. But a permatrim or other foil and a decent hole shot stainless prop can make a HUGE difference getting to speed fast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 9:59pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

But if were me I would go a 150hp Etec. They are no different to any EFI engine, ie 4 strokes. You just have to service the petrol filters (should have one in boat as well) and the oil and check a couple of other things and your chances of blowing and injector are no different to any other efi engine, ie 4 strokes, the only difference is cost, they about 3x the cost of a yamaha injector, although you have 4 on a 4stroke. 

Not quite sure I follow that Fizz, you would have 4 injectors on a 4 stroke only if it had four cylinders. A four cylinder E-Tec would also have 4 injectors.  Plus injectors on 2 strokes have to 'fire' on every stroke - so twice as often and they have less time to do so than on a 4 stroke. I should imagine that would require tighter tolerances and possibly lighter components. The E-Tec injector also operates in an oiler environment than on a 4 stroke so that can affect them also.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bill fisher 5.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:21pm
Bronze
Bronze

I can honestly say I would never get an e tec, so that is definitely out of the question!
Looking more towards the 140
Suzuki or going up to the 150 Merc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:27pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Suzuki or yamhi, all the way. We go a fair ways offshore with suzuki 60, very reliable last  few years ... no mechanical problems while we’ve had it.  Used to do same with a yamhi 4 stroke F50. We put 5000 plus hours on it.
We have done 2 big trips 10-20 miles off Cuvier from matarangi, and similar off back of Mokes from Leigh since new year.
Would I do those trips with an E-tech ... No!
Probably wouldn’t get there and back on fuel we carry. Easy with four stroke suzuki. And completely reliable.
New merc fourstrokes are apparently better than old ones but time will tell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 8:05am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The 140 Suzuki is a bit of an exception as it is quite light for its HP. The 150 Suzuki is way heavier.
Hearts the new Mercs are quite a bit lighter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 8:49am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bill fisher 5.5 Bill fisher 5.5 wrote:

I can honestly say I would never get an e tec, so that is definitely out of the question!
Looking more towards the 140
Suzuki or going up to the 150 Merc.

the newly updated df140 should be available for purchase locally soon i would imagine - might mean the outgoing ones are going cheap - or you have the opportunity to get the 'latest and greatest'
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 9:08am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I probably wouldn't be in a huge hurry to buy an outboard from a brand that's just been discontinued.....

The new Suzuki DF140BGT looks good. $1000 more than the DF140A but fly-by-wire controls means no more clunking into gear and stiff remote cables.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 12:41pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not sure I'm sold on fly by wire just yet.