Braid - diameter

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braid - diameter
    Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 8:02pm
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all

I have some 6lb fireline which is reported to be 0.15mm in diameter.

I just purchased today some 6lb Tuf-line Duracast which is quoted at 0.076mm. Nearly half the diameter of the which I thought would be fantastic for getting down in deeper water with less weight. Yet when physically comparing the two braids the Tuf-line seems thicker! Not half the size.

Anyone else ever been skeptical about quoted line diameter on braid?

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 8:26pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

that tuff line diameter seems very thin for a woven braid,are you shure its not a comparisson between mono and braid ??or is it measured in inches 
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 9:10pm
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good point. But no. It says 0.003 inches and 0.076mm.

That said the actual braid seems thicker than the fireline!

On the website for Tuf-line it says 0.10mm. So a bit thicker and inconsistent with the packaging but still should be thinner than the fireline at 0.15mm.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 9:41pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

some manufactures package 10pd braid as lower strengths,this was the case with 2 well known brands of woven braid .woven  braid can only be made to a certain diameter..( about 10pd) they cant make the needles small enough to weave braid any smaller.its possible this has changed but im shure it hasnt.
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redwaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 12:00pm
Redwaka View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It appears to me that braid has , like most stuff these days, has fallen into the domain of spin doctors. Claims made for diameter and strength are all over the place and lead to uncertainty. 

Crikey the PE rating of braid is a simple and accurate system free of grey areas and interpretation, yet manufacturers seemed to have stuffed this up as well with bogus claims, leaving the poor ole angler scratching their head (although anglers need to take some responsibility in the mis perception of PE rating as a breaking strength Ouch). 

I recently loaded an 10000SW spool with Performance braid. The stated diameter of the braid should of allowed a conservative 250+m to fit on the spool -- actual 189m Unhappy. The line was loaded under pressure as well. I wonder if the manufacturer measures diameter when the braid is under load??

I recently ordered some Berkley whiplash to try. They have some optimistic claims for their braid as well. There is no doubt it is thin (which has pros and cons) but actual diameter doesnt seem to stack up to marketing claims.

Wouldnt it be a god send if a reel actually put out its stated drag, or a PE5 line was actually 0.370mm in diameter and the spool actually loaded the stated meterage for a given PE class etc etcClap

On the positive side it does give me an excuse to buy and try more stuff