BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 10161017101810191020 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 1:21pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Unfortunately looks like a no fishing weekend with strong onshore winds.
I see a Great White carcass was found near Hart St recently. Not sure if that's good or bad 😁
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 11:45am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I went out this morning off papamoa and only managed 1 trevally for a whole lot of paddling. Drift was 2km/hr and near impossible to get baits down. My nephew got 3 on jigs which worked better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote doublenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 7:15pm
doublenda View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Perhaps there are more Great Whites around feeding up Piwi,had a slow morning off Papamoa myself yesterday,not much current then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pappaddlbrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 12:08pm
pappaddlbrdr View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A couple of newbie questions for you guys that fish off Papamoa.
I've started having a crack with soft baits from my paddleboard and had a little bit of success, enough to get excited about possibilities. I'm going maybe up to 750m offshore, (hard to tell)
Have also just seen the various cheapie portable fish finders available and wondering whether they could be of much use, anyone use any of these gadgets? Lucky, Venterior, deeper start etc?
For those of you with proper fishfinders how valuable are they when doing this kind of fishing off Paps? do you generally search out a depth or do you find you get a fish alarm when paddling and then fish that area?
Or when drifting if you see sign etc do you focus on that area?
One of the challenges of fishing from the paddleboard is that you drift pretty fast, so I'm trying to figure whether these would be any use or not and whether I should save my limited $$$? Hoping a few of you can chime in with some advice.
Keen to take some basic advise and will check in with a few reports. (hoping the paddleboard is close enough to a yak to be welcome here)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 12:35pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a cheap fishfinder. It is a lowrance 3x and it cost $129. It has been called the Hook 3x and the Elite 3x.
It does the job I need to, which is mainly telling me how deep the water is / where the dropoffs are and what the bottom looks like / if there is any structure. I usually fish in 5m ish water in the harbour, so it doesn't often show fish directly below the boat but in deeper water around structure it does show fish below the boat. I have had it for about 6 years, so I think I have had value for money. It doesn't have gps or anything, but I have an app on my phone called Marine Navigator that has free NZ maps, marine charts and you can drop points etc.
I think it is discontinued now, but I see the 4x is only $199 here https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/lowrance-hook2-4x-fishfinder-with-bullet-transducer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:53pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I think it would be pretty challenging fishing off a paddleboard. The fish finders we use are mostly permanently mounted with the transducers mounted underneath or glued inside the hull. The cheap portable ones don't have a great reputation.
I generally find sign and mark it on my gps and do multiple drifts through it.
A drogue is important to slow your drift when softbaiting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pappaddlbrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 1:41pm
pappaddlbrdr View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes the paddleboard definitely has it's limitations, and drifting too fast is definitely one of them, but it presents an intriguing challenge as well, and I reckon beats the alternative which, for me, would be surfcasting. 
I've only tried softbaits so far but am also wondering if micro jigs worth having in the arsenal as well.
Got a little pannie a couple weekends ago on a small softie first cast changing down to the tiny softbait 1/0 combo. Was perfect conditions though, glassed right off and very little current.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 6:29am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nice result pappaddlbdr.
I've seen the odd youtuber using a paddleboard for fishing.
If you can one day afford a kayak you should be able to improve your range and carry more gear etc. I usually fish from 500m to 3kms out depending on location and time of year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 4:27pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Late report. Fished the lure masters locally last friday and saturday. Had to contend wind both days. Caught plenty over both days, alot in the early 40s. Best went 71cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 9:32pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one DT.

Museyak (Shane) used to have a deeper sounder if I recall. Maybe send him a PM and see what this thoughts were on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:46pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

DT that's a really nice result. Saturday the east drift was terrible off papamoa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 5:26pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone going from Mount Maunganui tomorrow (Sunday)
New to the area looking for spots. Was going to set out from Pilot Bay?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 7:30pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey BM tomorrow should be a real good day for launching off the open beaches, , Pilot Bay will be busy. Swell tomorrow will be small with light winds for the morning.
10 to 20m deep you should find fish, Papamoa maybe more so
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 11:04am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Beaut conditions out there today. Got a couple of dinners

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 5:31pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Because I didnt know where to go, I ended up at Rogers road. Didnt catch a thing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ruff as Guts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 6:05pm
Ruff as Guts View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Unlucky Bugger-me, I had a tough day too. Headed out at 9am and went straight to where the cray pots were just dumped. Nabbed a goodie but couldnt find anymore, everyone went back in and the wind picked up. Was getting smashed around till I finally gave up and went in. Ended up with 2 snap and a JD. Released three over 60cm. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 11:38am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

It's a tough day Ruff when you release 3 over 60cm 😄
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raymond Luxury Yacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 10:40am
Raymond Luxury Yacht View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking at tomorrow early, Papamoa way. Wind might be an issue, but getting desperate for fresh fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raymond Luxury Yacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 10:27am
Raymond Luxury Yacht View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well we were on the water early. A good proper skunk is all I got!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 10:36am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Bugger Raymond. I was in a fun surf comp at the Domain with Allpom and of course the waves are tiny !
Page  <1 10161017101810191020 1025>