BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 909910911912913 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:00am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Scotty looks like the wind has cut up pretty bad today.

Gdog where are you at the moment?

Jordan solid feed for you. I must fish Matata next time.

I think my little Etrex is poked so FF combo time. Low budget at usual under $200.
Why is the Striker better than the Lowrance ? The Lowrance has a bigger screen I notice. Any advice appreciated 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 11:35am
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Swell map predicted 12 knots but harbour conds double that at 5 am so flagged it.
Just have to wait weather good for sat as good a one day trip to little barrier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 7:47pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Andy,

I guess you are tossing up between Garmin Striker 4 and HOOK² 4x?

At that price point, they are basically the same. Both units screen resolutions are the same (480 * 272), just the Lowerance unit is landscape and bigger, so the pixels will be bigger. Easier on the eyes at a distance, but more grainy looking. 

Garmin does the depth contour plotting as you go. My unit doesn't have that, DT's does so he could say if its worthwhile having I guess.

Otherwise, toss a coin Tongue

If you can stretch it, the Lowerance Hook 5 looks way better. Otherwise, can't go wrong with the Garmin Striker 5, but its pro getting up there price wise.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:05pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Dale I read that the striker has a much better resolution even though the screen is smaller 480x320 ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:18pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

garmin striker 4 cv on marine deals for 199 down from 399

dont think you can go wrong with that to be honest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:51pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

That's a good deal Scotty. The tranny looks big. Does it fit in PF400 scupper ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 8:31am
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

the dimensions are 150 x 50 x 22 so almost certain it will fit

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 1:06pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

My transducer cavity is only about 130mm long.

Hass the Garmin Striker 4 plus got the longer transducer and the Garmin Striker 4 has a more traditional shorter one ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 2:38pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As far as I can tell, the resolutions are the same at 272 X 480 pixels. https://buy.garmin.com/en-NZ/NZ/p/592096/pn/010-01870-01#specs4; https://www.westmarine.com/buy/lowrance--hook-4x-fishfinder-with-gps-and-bullet-skimmer-transducer--18799510?recordNum=1. The Garmin will look sharper because the screen is smaller. 

I can measure my transducer when I get home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cam man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 2:51pm
Cam man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It runs a longer transducer on the CV model for the clear view. The older model or the plus 4 run the shorter transducer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:41pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Dale shows 480x320 on here.
https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/fish-finders/garmin-striker-4cv-chirp-clearvu-fishfinder-with-gps-and-gt20-tm-transducer

Yeah Cam is right unfortunately too long for my scupper. I would have to look at the more basic Striker 4.
The Lowrance doesnt allow viewing of 2 screens at once and shows waterproof but not IPX7 which worries me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote G Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:54am
G Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Back NZ September Piwi, still in India. The surf outside my window is always huge. It dumps, so no good for surfing either...Will catch up for a fish for sure. x2 Striker 4. Don't need chirp for the depths we fish most of the time.. Baymarine guys have helped me heaps in the past...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:11am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Cheers Gdog look forward to having a fish with you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:12am
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You'd think that Garmin themselves would have the right resolution on their site, but who knows.

I have the transducer from a Garmin GPSMAP 720s if you need it. It's never been used.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:51am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Thanks Dale. Not sure if its compatible with Striker clear view.

I will wait till there's a special on Striker 4 at @$200. If they can special the CV then they should be able to special the Striker 4.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C0BRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:55pm
C0BRA View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Downtown if you still have that micro jigging rod for sale I wouldn’t mind having a look at it if that’s cool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cam man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 1:02pm
Cam man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Go for the 4+ it's just that little bit bigger and it makes all the difference and it has the smaller transducer. The lowrance that is under 200 doesn't have the ability to zoom in on the bottom ie bottom lock I believe. I use bottom lock on the 4+ all the time just set the depth you want to view .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:39pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just use the force piwi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 9:12pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

The force is easier and doesn't require WD40, Crc, Lanocote, and dielectric grease to keep it working 😁

This weekend shaping up. Maybe more of the same as last weekend. Anyone keen ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:03pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

For any part time workers I'm heading out with Allpom and Dazza tomorrow. Flick me a text if keen.
Page  <1 909910911912913 1025>