Bollard for a launch on a moring

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bollard for a launch on a moring
    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 4:53pm
scooter123 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My launch is going on a moring in  stillwater in two weeks.The bollard on the forward deck dosnt look grunty enough to me.Only stands about 60 mm high.The boat has been on a marina so not set up for a moring
Burnsco dont seem to stock the size im after does anyone know where i can get one?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 5:07pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Be no more strain on it than if you anchored,still water would be safe as no wave action.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 7:46pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's how it is attached that is most important?

If it's a few screws I would be unhappy.

If it's through bolted with a backing plate into something decent not so bad.

I always run a line over my bollard to cleats (I happen to have) either side of the bow so my mooring line cannot bounce off in a blow or slop....

Burnsco may not have a bigger one for you but if you do need one they are for sure available, may even get a good one used off trademe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:25pm
Silver
Silver

Good advice thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:58pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Contact Chatfields Marine Engineering.
Bolt it to a well fitted solid king plank
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:15pm
Silver
Silver

Thankyou will do
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 2:08pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have you notified your insurance company as they are tightening up on mooring policies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 5:57pm
Silver
Silver

Yip its going to be a bit more expensive but still no where near marina prices
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 8:02am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What kind of insurance changes PJC?

I notice with everything else, moored boats are not the super cheap way to go they once were.

I just spent a couple of grand on a new block to stay in compliance.

I had a nice block sitting at home for free but Nooo not approved!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 8:55am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

premiums have gone due to derelicts on moorings left to rot,some companires will not take on new mooring policies,existing rates have gone up,baileys are shying away from new policies, went to purchase a new vessel after ours was written off,no fault on our part as a derelict broke free and took ours out in its travels.
Found a broker up north who uses an overseas lloyds policy but to many conditions in place,ie in the event of a mishap you pay for repairs first then they will decide whether to reimburse?
The auckland harbour masters office have set of rules out which determines weight v size of vessel. 2 ton mooring was adequate for most 30ft now it seems to be 3 ton,pay to check.   We didnt go ahead with purchase,but looking again as piles seem to be ok for insurance companies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 9:09am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

The auckland harbour masters office have set of rules out which determines weight v size of vessel. 2 ton mooring was adequate for most 30ft now it seems to be 3 ton,pay to check. 

Seems odd. Most of the rogue boats seem to be due to breakages as opposed to dragging. Extra weight isn't going to help that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 9:29am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Dagwood Dagwood wrote:

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

The auckland harbour masters office have set of rules out which determines weight v size of vessel. 2 ton mooring was adequate for most 30ft now it seems to be 3 ton,pay to check. 

Seems odd. Most of the rogue boats seem to be due to breakages as opposed to dragging. Extra weight isn't going to help that.
agree ,these derilict vessels someone must be paying the mooring fee??perhaps they need to be removed as soon as they look unseaworthy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 3:41pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

PJC, the solution is with the Council.
At Westhaven you have to be insured and have $5 million Public Liability cover and the Westhaven staff check that you have paid the premium every year.
If the Council insisted that every boat on a mooring had to be insured and have public liability insurance, we would not have a problem with derelict boats. The Council could immediately move them on confirmation the owner has no insurance.
So it is up to the Council to sort the issue out.