boat flips Tairua

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 8:58am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Going on other posts by many other members who are damn good , well prepared skippers, not having a moment, regularly crossing a bar for yrs then you must be the exception..or perception .
Full bins still loade with ice, outgoing tide, waves catching up, not enough power to stay on the back of a wave..?

And take a moment and look at tmy moments smudge..scary yes dangerous no..risk flipping or capsize no...and if did over equipped.. All on days with no break over the bar  1m and less swell and winds tides correct... and only one incident was mine.
 In fact all are no more an incidents that many take as normal, when crossing. Who 'normally' cross in conditions I dont go.....including yours.
So if quote my scarry moments, do not take out of context or make out something that is not.
 I report these to point out in real life, even on flat days things can happen...and do, so be prepared treat the sea with lot respect.
abseiling in jandals!
Put away the browns ..

Hmmm, I wonder where that part about abseiling in jandals has gone. Anyway, yes I have had a couple of moments on the Manukau bar and one on the river bar, neither involving running aground or getting airborne (or close to it as the case may be).

Perhaps take a moment yourself to think how others perceive your posts. As I've asked before, try to keep things to the point without refencing back to off topic events and you may find less drama coming your way.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 9:03am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Originally posted by rusty360 rusty360 wrote:

Hey steps you seem like a very knowledgeable guy but I think you should pull ya head in and think about these poor families before firing off about under powered boats etc, unless you were there might be good to keep ya thoughts to ya self.

I've been involved in few incidences like this ex coastguard 10 years. And from what I've seen the media generally doesn't have a farking clue what's going on and will print any **** to get the story out.

I'd say most people would rush to help someone in trouble and in this case the poor guy has paid the ultimate price, I'm sure he didn't go back out with the grandkids etc in tow without thinking about it first.

Rant over.
well said.Hes a ****en expert on all matters .many here believe his bull**** as they believe he has experience when reality is none but bull****.if I get bannedi don't give a **** but someone will die or get injured following his advice at times

Paul, I suggest that you don't go out of your way to engage Steps. You're going to disagree with everything he says, you've made your point now move on.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 7:42pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hopefully we all learn, I've had my oh crap moments, nearly sunk the boat, etc, and I've seen others have them too.
Ok it's all to easy to be critical, shoulda done this or that.
Passed a boat on Saturday on the way home from Motiti, the weather forecast was moderate, but at 6 pm when we poked our noses around the bottom of the island, it was crappy. Batten ed the hatches, and proceeded to slog our way back to the mount. Passed some guys in a boat that looked far to small to be out there, but hey the weather report was fair.long story short, they ran out of gas, we noticed they had stopped, went back and towed them in..they were possibly not far off being dished up on the beach.
Didnt think about it, just did what I hoped someone else would do.
Perhaps I should have named the boat Le Tug..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 7:58pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My mate in his 12 ft tinnie towed a 5.5m stabicraft home today. Motor had failed, and were trying to make it on Minkota. That ran flat, they were drifting. Those same guys fished out 40k with us a week or so ago.
LUCKY for them, today, flat sea, close to home, primo conditions and mate had gone out to check his setline.
Normally decent surf to get thru.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 8:09pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Last Thursday went out over the Bowentown bar with my brother and a mate.

16ft Center Console

1 hour before high tide, all good easy crossing.

Conditions were awesome off shore and stayed out longer than originally planned.

Came in for the reverse crossing a lot closer to low tide. Good sized waves breaking on the bar with a tricky cross swell. Wasn’t keen so checked out if cutting the corner was on. Nope no good either.

Given the great offshore conditions decided to skip the crossing and head in via Tauranga.

The harbour is unnavigable at low tide past Ōmokoroa so gave the wife and sister-in-law a call and arranged to haul out at Ōmokoroa.

A couple of hours late but all onboard were happy with the decision.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 9:09am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

CC thats is the sorta call so many others just would not make
Full kudos..
This bit struck me

Conditions were awesome off shore and stayed out longer than originally planned.

I think of the number times considered that...
I have a time frame on our bar .. back in no more than 1.5 hrs after full.. if swell, and chop drops, breeze stays in correct direction will add 1/2...and only done so 2 times.
 1 of those times, crossing was good, just had little problem lining up the channel...sorta got it right, without issue .
 Though was already to ring the wife meet us at Te toro and shoot up the coast go back thru the manukau sth channel... and thats a quite a haul from Sth of the Waikato bar... and still had around 120L fuel in the tank.

So even after that non issue time, its been a strict.. back in by.
Once we had  marlin jump just off the back ... tempted, even started to sort a lure.. then stood up said , sry guys not worth it....had already cut off the flat out snapper fishing on 9 /0 .

Best stories are those like CC above... and those are by the true heros, not those who play hero... and get away with it .. that time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 9:13pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know the Tairua bar very well. In-laws managed puka lodge maybe 300m from tairua bar for 10 years and I’d whip over it maybe 3 times a day in the weekend or when lived there too. It’s one of those bars that close out over 1.5m but if it’s closing out at low, it’s passable at high just hug the rocks to the left maybe get some green water over the front from time to time and a bit of dancing. Just 3 swells to be over and speed helps in between swell.  When it’s closing don’t go near. Go floundering or pick cockle’s  and do boat maintaince. A quick walk to the top of paku hill at mouth is well worth it. Never had a prob at any time coming in on any swell as there is depth and I’ve been caught out when swell has built by many meters when out. just stick to the game plan and be in constant control on the back of the biggest wave you can find. In that situation head to Pauanui side as you will get double up waves close to tairua rocks when coming in.  Have seen boats flip there on average days. I think some of these issues of flipping is down too experiance or over confidence . Respect what you don’t have control over. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 11:16pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Twice now I have gone out in the bop, and chosen to use sulphur point and whangamata, instead of closer bars, because of the tide limiting factor. Last saturday was a case of we would never have made it in to the maketu bar.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Page  <12