FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Birds Beach boat ramp

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old wives tales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Birds Beach boat ramp
    Posted: 24 May 2021 at 5:14pm
old wives tales View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone know about Birds Beach ramp in Tapora?
can we launch a 6.5m there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 7:03am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I stayed over that way for a few days so take my input with more than a grain of salt. The ramp looked extremely tidal with exposed mud for most of the time I was there. I would say that launching/retrieving a 6.5m would be a stretch from what I saw. Maybe a local will pop up and tell me I'm wrong.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:12am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

I stayed over that way for a few days so take my input with more than a grain of salt. The ramp looked extremely tidal with exposed mud for most of the time I was there. I would say that launching/retrieving a 6.5m would be a stretch from what I saw. Maybe a local will pop up and tell me I'm wrong.

My experience as well ... in keeping with the fact that despite the huge size of the harbour there is no ramp I am aware of that ticks all the boxes. ie available parking, all tides friendly, does not require a long trip to open water or no security problems therefore agree with Nick that launching & retrieving a 6 . 5 mtr boat would at best be very ambitious. 

To the best of my knowledge choices close to Tapora would be Port Albert ( tidal & long haul down river to open water ) Stables Landing (could be a problem with shallow water) Mungakura (steep slippery ramp ) Jordan Rd ( a guy I knew used to launch his 6 mtr boat there, but before you even consider it go take a look at the setup, likewise another a bit further on by the concrete bridge ) IMO your best option if available would be a tractor tow to & from Tapora ramp to launch into the mouth of the Port Albert river.

PS Nick presume your interest in that area was related to SWFF ...
if so may be able to give you some info re exclusive access to some territory suitable for swff that you may not be aware of.
Who knew what time it was when the first clock was made? Or for that matter what day it was or how old you were ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 9:53am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well sort of Bazza, it was my last weekend of mobility before a surgeon broke my hip (6 months off walking etc) so it was also a family getaway. I'm pretty familar with the area from a on water experience, normally launch Hoteo or Stables (love that spot) and head down the hrbr. But, always keen for intel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 1:24pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

Well sort of Bazza, it was my last weekend of mobility before a surgeon broke my hip (6 months off walking etc) so it was also a family getaway. I'm pretty familar with the area from a on water experience, normally launch Hoteo or Stables (love that spot) and head down the hrbr. But, always keen for intel.

Will pm.
Who knew what time it was when the first clock was made? Or for that matter what day it was or how old you were ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old wives tales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 3:53pm
old wives tales View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks gents. went up and took a look for myself.  very much going to be a high tide launch/retrieve.  have to spend 3 day weekend up there and cant waste that much fishing time.