better lucky than good

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: better lucky than good
    Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 3:13pm
crusty View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

did my first day out yesterday from port Douglas fishing the linden bank , and we got one about 450-500 on stand up 50 (on a pakula ), got some nice photos of it jumping on the trace which I'll post soon, also had a tiny little one up trying to eat a mack tuna 

the "billfish" skippered by tiger also got one 500 which proceeded to jump into their rigger and trash it

three days ago sparra on desperado got a 950 plus further north near lizard

cheers

crusty

cheers

crusty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 3:28pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Congratulations Crusty, relly good fish.

Details of your fish, lure, colour, position, fight time etc. Look forward to the photos.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2002 at 2:28am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Crusty, what a way to kick off the season with a stunning 9/10:1 fish!  Hope you got the hiding on the wire that you deserve!

if you've got the chance say hi to russell housby whos on the Allure, he's a mate of mine from Madeira.  Tell him everyone here will be VERY disappointed if he doesn't come back with one bigger than Coglan's 1389!!!

when you've got the time i'm sure we'd all appreciate your observations on the setups for light n heavy tackle too

cheers dustin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2002 at 12:54pm
crusty View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yep met russell briefly the other day didn't know he fished madeira , also bumped into heath who posts around sometime

the lure was a pakula animal in blue /green with a bit of purple in the tail long right 6 or 7  wave ,  10 minute fight, v. green on trace went off great fun to trace

lots of wahoo out there at the moment got 60 lbs model on saturday , had us fooled for a couple minutes thought we had a real one on

did a flyfishing day on sunday on the Joe Joe (65 AMDAC driven by barry cross)learnt two new ways to lose fish ( how many are there ?) pretty little sail pounced on the fly the guys brand new fly line broke on the strike we tested it afterward the core was faulty breaking at 3-4 kilo

next on strike was a elderly gent and a 50 pound black all over the chugger belly strip combo , rather than doing a cast this chap dropped his fly over the side of the boat , the black switched from the teaser to the downrigger ball coming in on the electric winder saw the fly then tangled in the downrigger wire and was jumping all over the place about two metres off the transom :)

sadly my lack of competitiveness had me rolling around in laughter rather than tearing my hair out

during the week we also scored a 20 kg GT in on the reefs and got scorched by a big spanish into the coral

the fishing up here is incredible particularly the light tackle stuff

cheers

crusty

cheers

crusty