Best way to gut and gill bigger Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to gut and gill bigger Snapper
    Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 1:00pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

As the title says, anyone got a good way to gut and gill bigger snapper? Lots of options mention to snap gill behind mouth then put fingers in and rip. Seems to be for smaller size fish and the bigger ones seem to be a bit tougher.

Trying to prepare the frames for freefishheds but haven't found a good method so far.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 1:18pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by RogueOne RogueOne wrote:

As the title says, anyone got a good way to gut and gill bigger snapper? Lots of options mention to snap gill behind mouth then put fingers in and rip. Seems to be for smaller size fish and the bigger ones seem to be a bit tougher.

Trying to prepare the frames for freefishheds but haven't found a good method so far.
Dont worry about the cleaning too much for "frrefisheads" most are happy just to recieve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 2:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The job  i hate most is gilling fish. I use a short stocky knife like one of those Wasabi bait knives and cut through the gill slit as far forward as I can, then cut through the top of the gills where they join onto the body. The gut comes out pretty easily if the belly has been slit. A flexi long knife is likely to end up chopping your fingers. I'd love to see how an expert does it.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 2:37pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ditto re: my feelings about gutting and gilling, especially on larger fish. After taking off the fillets nice and clean with minimal mess, this process is always a bit grubby. Bunnings sell BBQ/meat shears which are designed to cut through bone. Best tool I've come across for cutting down the middle of a fish between the pectoral fins and up in to the gills.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 2:53pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The shears are very good MB do the job well. Taking the wings knife used to cut large mussel at base of head then  to go up gills. Push head back to back bone gutting is almost done if doing it properly then i use the shears on the jaw hinge. By using the shears with clean cut it it saves having sharp bones when i vaccum pack. Well this system works for me. I take most of my wings they go ib brine then smoked, better than chicken wigs, no picking trough bones as they are nice and large. Imagine the meat on the fish Jeff from Mokau gets.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 7:43pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great info, thanks for sharing. I'll have a look at the shears next time i'm in  Bunnings
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 7:49pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

if I could work out how to upload a pic i would show you what we had for t. mint as.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 9:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's an awesome tip, I'll have to get some shears.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 9:51pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

...Best tool I've come across for cutting down the middle of a fish between the pectoral fins and up in to the gills.

Are you talking about the bony section above the pectoral fins when you remove the wings?  If so you may be interested in the short vid linked below.
When you remove the wings you don't have to cut through any bones.  The bones above the pectoral can be 'unhinged' from the head easily once you understand the how these bones are connected to each other.  The first half of the vid I thought was a bit confusing but the second half explains it better.  Once you've done it a few times it's a piece of cake.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 9:15am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All our fish big small are filleted like this to get max return off the frame.

Larger fish.. snaps getting up into the 50s / high 60s I use a victory cabbage knife with a convex 33/35 deg edge and 25 for the curved tip to rip up the pin bones and the extra length to skin with. Takes a bit practice with the cabbage knife.
 Larger fish up in 70s, the cabbage knife struggles so have a short machete to wack up thru... no good for skinning thu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:56am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Are you talking about the bony section above the pectoral fins when you remove the wings?  

No, between the pecs. That area is hard on a fine knife edge. You don't have to cut this to harvest the wings, but I like to get the guts/gills out before cutting in to anything I'm going to eat. Plus the wings are often too big for one portion anyway, so want them separated. 

Good tip in the video though, I'll try that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 4:19pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

... No, between the pecs. That area is hard on a fine knife edge... 

OK now I understand.  I think those fins are the ventral or pelvic fins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:50pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

OK now I understand.  I think those fins are the ventral or pelvic fins.

Quite right Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 1:25pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To gut, big or small.
 Fillet knife, or large elcheapo kitchen knife.. put thru poo hole, cut upto the plate.. then use the length of the knife to go right up into the bottom of the skull. Then just lever up and thru.
End of the knife stays sharp... cut the top and bottom of the gills then just rip everything back.

In the video above, note not gutted and board is clean.. no need to touch the gut cavity.
To remove the wings is just a quick chop with the part of the knife towards the handle (where the edge is around 35 degs) wings drop off..and if want to separate, quick chop with small machete or cabbage knife, removing most of the fins with a chop as well.