Best pies for the boat? Good luck :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best pies for the boat? Good luck :-)
    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 1:36pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Unlike Banana, pies are good luck on a boat imo.

So much so the Aussie Bass Strait 23ftr has a pie warmer in the cockpit.

On serious note, is the best pie still a comp in NZ.

If so where is supposedly the best pies in Auck?

I get mine cold from an italian bakery in Parnell. They are only $4.50 and packed full of actual meat, like steak feels like steak not mince and loads of cheese. But the lamb pie is my fav.

Best food for the boat in winter I reckon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 2:32pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Muzza's pies,if they are still around,best pies ever
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 2:34pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Homemade - you know what goes in and you make them to your liking.

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 3:00pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whenuapai Bakehouse & Cafe are pretty good. Pies won awards a few years ago and they have a good range if you are early...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:06pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bacon and egg... homemade is best
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:42pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All pies,
Cold frozen, with flies or vermin bits.

And yes best pie still happens in NZ.

I think the best pie was in the Hawkes bay or gisborne area who is a multiple winner.

Good taste no matter the flavour, flaky pastry top,
Crisp base.

I'll pay a fair dollar for a good maggot pack.

I used to buy several frozen big bens or similar from the dairy as I hiked out to the west coast for a couple of days surfcasting off Aniwhata or similar zones. For a few days.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 5:05pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Muzza's pies,if they are still around,best pies ever

Yep agree Muzzas pies. Still around ,Richardson road.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 6:25pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Patrick Lamb in Tauranga seems to be the constant pie winner in the Bakels pie awards.

for $1.50 big ben maggot pack hard to beat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 7:14pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

All pies,
And yes best pie still happens in NZ.

Not according to Aussies. OMG I hated pies in Australia. I remember living in WA, home of Jesters pies you might have seen at a caltex. And they highly rate Mrs Macs steak and cheese.

I remember my first pie in Aus was in Noosa, I bought a steak and cheese and it was steak MINCE and cheese. ugggh, was horribad too.

I see a number of the aussie youtubers when they come to NZ comment on how good our road side pies are.

We might not have GTs but we definitely have better pies which is a fair trade imo. The one junk food I couldnt give up. 

Remember before Mcdonalds, even before Georgie Pie. I think the only real fast food was KFC and Homestead in GI.

But the majority was pies, pies at the Dairy werent Frozen Mrs Macs pies, they were Bakery made quality pies in paper bags.

Pies or fish and chips was the choice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 7:20pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

Whenuapai Bakehouse & Cafe are pretty good. Pies won awards a few years ago and they have a good range if you are early...

That sounds like its worth a drive for Lunch tomorrow just to check it out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 7:51pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

FF - I agree, Aussie pies are crapola.
These scallop pies are made in Tassy and are OK, although the curry flavour masks / over powers the scallop flavour imo.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:14pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was only referring to Nz pies.

But the others are still crap, tongue in cheek.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:58pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

FF - I agree, Aussie pies are crapola.
These scallop pies are made in Tassy and are OK, although the curry flavour masks / over powers the scallop flavour imo.

Interesting pie, was it just scallies made into a curry inside puff pastry?

I dont throw Tassy peeps in with mainland aussies haha. They are a very down to earth friendly folk, its much like mid canterbury/timaru but with snakes :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 12:26am
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

… I dont throw Tassy peeps in with mainland aussies haha. They are a very down to earth friendly folk, its much like mid canterbury/timaru but with snakes :-)

It is funny you say that. I found that when travelling around Tassy you could very easily think you were in NZ.
I only mentioned the scallop pies as I don't recall seeing them anywhere else and I thought they were a little different to the norm.
Having said that a Google search would suggest scallop pies can be sourced from various locations in NZ.
Scallops were in a creamy mild curry sauce in pastry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Best pies for the boat? Good luck :-)

Bacon and egg... homemade is best

Take Baitcatcher out on the boat.
Wife makes a damn good bacon and egg, she even demands Vinnie to leave a couple slices at home for her. other wise we are not allowed to go fishing.
 Think Smudge , Bazza, Cirrus and a few others will confirm this.
 Not only that the pies come will good company, and other tasty bits and pieces as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 10:32am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep - meat pies are a necessary part of ones diet. Sams butchery at Silverdale, bloody good.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 11:13am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A tip for keeping your pies warm: get a small chilly bin and put a couple of hot water bottles (with hot water in them obviously) in the bottom with a layer of tin foil over them - put warm pies on top of that and hey presto a mini oven to keep your pies warm :)
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:35pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good oneThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:36pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

[QUOTE=Mr Moritz]Whenuapai Bakehouse & Cafe are pretty good. Pies won awards a few years ago and they have a good range if you are early...

That sounds like its worth a drive for Lunch tomorrow just to check it out.

Good one   Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:50pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For those heading to Tutukaka, the bakery in Tikipunga shops the first one on the left passed the bottleshop heading to toots via tikipunga hill road...

Their steak and cheese are great, they are also affilated with Hikurangi bakery for those heading northwards.

Anyway this bakery won northland best pies award several times... old school family been around a long time...Jellick family
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau