Bent butt outriggers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bent butt outriggers
    Posted: 08 May 2024 at 8:58pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheapest option. Don’t want to invest much till I get more fish. Thinking 12ft bent butt holder slid into rocket launcher. 
What’s some views on this set up?or some tips on how to set it up. Thanks 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 12:18am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Cheapest option. Don’t want to invest much till I get more fish. Thinking 12ft bent butt holder slid into rocket launcher. 
What’s some views on this set up?or some tips on how to set it up. Thanks 
https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/rod-in-rlauncher-in-shot-gun-position_topic75489_page1.html

Nephew did this and stuffed the launcher.
"Times up"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 5:00am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks Pcj, that link didn’t work for me. Last comp there were quite a few boats rocking the rocket launcher slip ins but wasn’t sure if they were all new purchases or they actually work well if done right…wondering what right is 🤔😬
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 6:40am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a go at searching via this site but no luck but searched via google that gave me lots of links to different discussions on this forum. So a win in the end. Looks like the drop in bent but if Kilwell are good as long as you have some foam or the like keeping tight in rod holder and if you drill a pin through holder and bent but to help lock in place you are sorted - also the addition of tying the loop to the gunnel area so you can easily set up 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 5:39pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Scott I've just been hunting for a photo of mine but looks like I don't have one. Found it. I drop mine into extra holders I've mounted on my roof. The normal rocket launcher holders were on the wrong angle. I have a spare set of 12 foot telescopic stiffy Kilwell you might be able to borrow for next season if you wish, I now use 15 foot ones but are reluctant to dispose of the 12 foot as I might swap back to them if it gets too hard to drop the longer and heavier ones in as I get older. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2024 at 4:48pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Krow, that looks the biz. Yip will follow ur set up idea.  I’ll need to find who supplies the cord as will need to lengthen mine so comes down to the gunnels for easy deploy. I bought 2 12 foot drop ins ($400 second hand). Not as long or as stiff as I wanted but will do for a season or two till I get up to speed on this expensive, little result, hobby called game fishing 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2024 at 5:00pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

RD - 2.5mm venetian blind cord does the job well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2024 at 6:52pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tery action outdoors in rosebank road for the cord.
I was told give up gamefishing before you get hooked. , however did not listen.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2024 at 6:08am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks fishing addict. And Ynot I can see a problem developing….
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2024 at 6:20am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I use them but we don't do nearly enough game fishing to comment, have caught two marlin with them though. The biggest hassle is putting them in the rocket launcher, we have to stand on the gunnels.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dive'n'fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 3:37pm
dive'n'fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a Kilwell bent butt 2.7 drop in shotgun outrigger for sale (In brand new condition).
https://fishing.kilwell.co.nz/product/kilwell-nz-outriggers-shotgun-rigger/
Happy to sell at a good price, if interested feel free to send a message through.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 9:03pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I resisted posting on this topic, but few beers and bottle of wine, has loosened the posting finger. I’ve used the light killwell drop in riggers for a while - 20 yrs. They are ok we caught a lot of marlin off them but a a bit too bendy for my liking as in perfect release.  We rig ours out gunnels and have a very good system designed by myself which tensions rigger from short bungy and connected below rod holder to rigger cord with a stainless opening swivel clip which allows us  to run riggers 90 degrees upright when steaming and deploy 45 degrees wide of gunnels to fish in seconds. See bottom photo for clip.
You need to run very firm drags on reel to get best on lightish riggers, like 6 kg plus on strike even on 24 or 15kg. Or 37 kg go to near 8kg on strike.
Also have the killwell drop in centre poll we run sometimes (5 rods is a lot to run if seriously fishing two up) off a very solid high stainless rocket launcher. Different crisp release entirely, very stiff won’t bend , so ideal for 15kg or any line weight in rocket launcher. 4kg on strike would be ample. Will see if can find a few photos of the set up.. You want to be able to set gear quick,  reset quick on knock downs and get riggers out of way (upright on small boat) on a big strike, or multiple hook up. Why I wouldn’t set riggers off my rocket launcher , but each to own.  Krow will certainly have a good system to do that from rocket launcher. But bet  (hope in his senior years) he’s not putting them up there standing on gunnels at sea.Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2024 at 4:55am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use them in the outside holders in the launcher. Put them in the centre 2 just for steaming, not really sure why. I have a walk around, so deployment is easy for me. I've always borrowed a set, but have just purchased some stiff 16 foot ones. I have yet to rig them, but plan to make it easy to work with by having the pulley low down.

You need a good sturdy launcher. A light one one won't cope. Staying them forward would help, but in a non walk around that would be difficult to do safely.