basic maintenance service, daiwa dogfight

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote thor_hafnor@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: basic maintenance service, daiwa dogfight
    Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 4:59am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I know there is another saltiga rebuild out there but I thought I would share the dogfight. It isn't that thorough but I know alot of guys fear opening this high end reels but they're not that hard to work at. I wanted to make it run a little lighter so I lubed it very ligthly including the bearings with a thin synthetic reel oil from penn (blue in colour)

sorry for the bad pictures, hopefully you get the point. :)

remove the rubber band holding the retainer pin (the pin sits very loosely so be careful not to loose it) then carefully push the pin out.

once you have removed the rubber band retainer and retainer pin you can slide the spool sleeve straight off of the spoolshaft. there is a spoolbearing (this will be packed with grease) following and the clicker mechanish along with the spool shims and at the bottom push out the second retainer pin. 
in alligned order:

now lets detach the rotor nut key to access the main body. It is secured by a oversized rotor nut with a seal inside the seal lock ring which is attached by two smaller star screws and one security screw that goes into the rotor for securing the allignement of the rotor nut

on top after removing the metal ring  there is a rubber gasket keeping the bearing waterproof. inside the one piece rotor nut screw there is a bearing and in the inner race there is a plastic tube. The bearing is to be lubed with light synthetic oil.

in alligning order:

once that is removed the rotor goes off easily in one piece. there is a inserted rubber seal on top and underneath the spool sitting close to the spool shaft. Be careful not to loose one of those, they stick quite good inside the ingravings but be aware (can't see this in the pictures)

underneath the rotor you will access the instant anti reverse roller bearing, but before that you have to unscrew the stainless steel protection cage. This is screwed directly onto the main body and is unscrewed by hand. there is also a large bearing cup and a rubber band seal. In alligned order:

once this is removed you access the instant anti reverse roller bearing and the AR sleeve that is cut square inside to fit the rotor shaft. The AR has grooves that fit inside the main house so when reassembling this have to be alligned and may take some time. The AR (one piece) is flushed with alcohol cleaner and lightly lubed with thin synthetic oil (the longer thinner sleeve goes into the main body)

Now lets open the gear house. (remove the rotor gasket sitting on the main house) This is held by four allen screws with red loctite. Turn the gear house and you will access the handle and the main gear allignement bearing. (it is retained by four small star screws)

the handle bearing will also be very ligthly lubed (shields with retainer) inside the gear house there is a metal spacer and a rubber gasket for waterproofing

in alligned order.

the main gear was heavily greased with thick grease. I cleaned it up and added a thinner grease mixed with thin oil. The main gear slides out easily but be aware once you remove the main gear there is a tiny tiny wire that has to be alligned and go inside the anti reverse dog ratchet hole) 

once the main gear with the thin wire is alligned with the pinion gear and dog ratchet you attach the sealed gear house again... if it doesn't fit perfectly into place the rubber seal is misaligned. It goes inside the ingraving along the gear house.

allign the AR with slleve inside it's housing
http://s869.beta.photobucket.com/user/hafnor/media/IMG_0678_zps39ebd8f9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10

once you get the last protection metal housing for the AR place the seal inside it's ingraving

and lastly to secure the AR the main shield that is screwed clockwise onto the main house

before attaching the rotor open the shiny plastic bail shield and grease or oil the bail spring. 

the line roller bearing is easily accessed by removing the allen screw underneath the bail stem. it is not secured in any way other than soild red loctite. This screw is HARD, so be patient! I just squirted a little light oil inside the line roller bearing but you can remove the whole assembly. There are two rubber gaskets there that you pry out with a thin flat iron.

allign the rotor with the square rotor sleeve and it pops into place.

attatch the rotor nut with its plastic sleeve and bearing inside. then add the rubber bearing-gasket and the metal retainer on top, screw the rotor nut tight. it is secured by a star screw.

then goes the retainer pin and clicker mechanism with the spool shims ontop. then the spool sleeve, second retainer pin and rubber ring to lock it in place

And voila, your done!