Barrel Smoker

Page  <1 678910>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 5:27pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mutton was nice but way to much fat , we got enough for dinner for two and the rest for two pies tonight .Veges were all good . I don't think I'd bother with mutton again , stick to lamb . 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 5:31pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 5:32pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 5:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Looks like some tasty meals there. Mutton is nice enough but these days I think we'd all find it a bit fatty. I never did smoke my turkey but I killed another 5 today so maybe I'll try it
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 10:58am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got pork belly,brisket(fat to be trimmed),chicken legs soaking in texas style bbq mix,sunday cook 12hrs and mop every 1.5hrs. Judging by the sauce flavour now it should be spicey.Might some magic dust later,served with sliced greens on a periperi rice bed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 5:05pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Early start,still dark,4.5kg charcoal used,the black bits are crackling and yes enjoyed by all,brisket will do again .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 3:10pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was watching bobby flay bbq on tv this morning, he was cooking using a China box. Looked to work well and would be easy to setup.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 3:17pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

I was watching bobby flay bbq on tv this morning, he was cooking using a China box. Looked to work well and would be easy to setup.
just googled one yes ,easy to make,might be able to put fire tray at top of barrel and let cooled smoke drop down
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 6:34pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’ve got an Orion charcoal cooker, haven’t used for a while but I must get it out and crank it up.

https://www.theorioncooker.com/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 7:06pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have had canadian T bones soaking in my go to marinade and have a mix of mopping sauce ready for the sunday cook,hmm still be dark when i fire it up,hopefully 9hrs be enough as going out at 5.00?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 6:39am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 6:42am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh its dark 4.30 with only a cat for company,using chimney.Hoping to avoid stater taste.  mopping sauce made,spicey so mop every 1hr. Much rather be fishing but boat in shop for service.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 4:26pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

after 8 hrs on the smoke and 2 hrs in tin foil,mopped every hr.that would be my best yet,meat fell off the bone,tender and spicey.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 7:03pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just placed 4kg of brisket in a rib sauce mix + few extra goodies,marinating till Saturday,under pressure from work to produce the goods
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 6:21pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Started out a dish for work but Family ate 1/2 and the rest for fishing lunch Sunday. Decided not to use a smokey type coal but went with a heat type(webbers) yeah/nah bugger to light so added a bit of my normal to get it going,was 2 x 3 kg pieces now luckey to 2kg left.Fat buggers.

very very tender 10hr cook and mopped every 1hr and turn every 1.5hrs,cooked for 8 hrs then wrapped in foil for 2 hrs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fred01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 12:10am
fred01 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've been cooking on one for 2 years. Very simple to cook on. Turns out the best ribs, chicken and brisket I have ever ate. Pork loin too. I have been thinking of getting my SIL and BIL a pit barrel smoker for house warming present We both like the smoker from the Pit Barrel Cooker Co. Meathead at Amazing Ribs has given it the best value award. does anyone have any experience with this company and the products that are available on this page

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 5:55pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is anyone having the same problem as I am finding.

Cannot get a good smoking briquette ,kingsford apple was my go too, seem all produce lots of heat with no smoke
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 6:37pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sorry can't help. Always use charcoal and then wood of choice. Anyone know where Rock Crusher got to ? Always liked his posts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 8:13pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fish I still like manuka on coals. Chicken and pizzas try few pekan blocks at end on the coals.  Beef we’ve cooked some nice stuff ( t- bones)  on coals  (after smoking fish) with manuka  but some would say could lead to bitterness and much better with pōhutukawa. I still have to try pekan with beef … but not sure regards taste it gives. Probably use as small blocks of pōhutukawa like we do with pekan blocks.
I’m no expert. But know few boys who cook beef and like the pōhutukawa at end with a lot of hot coals.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 12:22am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

seems to me we have gone gren all heat no smoke,tried 3 different ones so far that claim,excellent for smoking,but so far heat only.

Have tried soaked manuka chips. But get a slight taint.

Last smoke one I got was from a local chinese shop and no longer stock it,only heat one.

Might have to resort to wood blocks as "shaneg" suggests
Page  <1 678910>