Bamboo blank - guides etc?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bamboo blank - guides etc?
    Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 9:40pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Aside from some complete rods, I have 5 lengths of bamboo blank. I have spliced 2 together and reckon it would make a nice 7'6" 5 wt rod. However, I am unsure of how to finish it. Aside from the ferrules, would snake guides be ok or too 'modern'?
Also, reel seat? All advice appreciated, it should make a nice trout rod, but it would be nice to finish it in an. Appropriate style, not too modern,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 10:13pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And....where can I get ferrules in NZ? Or do I just order from mudhole?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 1:45pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Snake guides would be perfect, you can get 'older" looking ones.
REC make fantastic products including ferrules.
Try the following forum for ideas, its the best for fly rod building.
www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?s=7b313879f21d691ea66dcf23d3881cf5&showforum=2
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barra10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 2:57pm
Barra10 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There is a post further down the rod building section regarding the Aus agent for Alps components. They have a heap of product and some nice looking ferrules (not too modern looking), do different coloured snake guides too so may find one that suits.

Good guys to deal with and well priced.

Not sure what fly seats they do, for a rod like that I'd maybe look to purchase the two separate ends of the reel seat and turn/get someone to turn up some nice native wood for a spacer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 8:17pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys, will look at these once I get my broadband back! Moved house last week, no phone, boxes everywhere but.........I have a study and a garage :)
Once we ditch some of the garage stuff it's workbench time and rod wrapping.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 11:40pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Parts sourced, just waiting for decent ferrules

Looks,like,my dad used D thread and varnish, I intend to use A silk.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 10:33pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Right, time moves on, sourced a red Agate stripping guide from Mudhole, is it ok to use this with snake guides or should I get double foot ring guides for authenticity/age? I aim to have a modernish update so it has a half wells grip, alloy reel seat with wood insert. The Agate guide is small, should I just go full modern with larger ring stripping guides?
And I have some lovely ferrules- will it be ok using A thread? Got some nice red silk in A. My Dads rods had D on the guides and ferrules. Chunky!
The more I progress, the more I aim to fish this rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 8:15pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bumpity. Single small agate stripping guide and snakes for the rest?

A thread to bind the ferrules?