backing?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: backing?
    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 10:39am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hi guys,just spooling up an 8wt and 10wt. what do people use for backing these days?
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 10:51am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I went with SA gel spun recently on a 10w not sure if it’s worth the extra $. Be interested what others ideas are as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 4:32pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Any heavy braid that I find lying around. Don't ask me what brand. Usually it's old stuff that has been stripped off one of our overhead reels. My only stipulation is that I like it 50lb plus. Too thin and it's like razor wire. I don't want to cut my fingers on a fast reversing parore You'll still get way more than you'll ever need on the reel with the heavier stuff. Who's going to wind in 300 or 400 metres of backing with a fly reel anyway? A couple of hundred metres of 50 to 80lb braid is all you'll ever need.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 4:46pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just a suggestion - go hollow core as you can splice a very smooth loop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 7:57am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Just a suggestion - go hollow core as you can splice a very smooth loop.

That's true or if you are lazy like me you just do a doubled bimini in your backing that is large enough to fit the reel through, then you can swap lines easily. The doubled braid won't cut into your fly line loop as easily as a single strand.

Agree 50lb or up as with Craig and if you have only 200m on the reel and one day you need more you can accept that you would probably never have got it back anyway Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 9:43am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks guys, reels are both large arbor so will most ikely go with the SA Gel spun i think. its thin but id feel safer knowing theres 200m of backing in reserve if needed.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 4:23am
lucas View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I’ve been using 60lb Daiwa Hollow for all my reels 8wt and up, anything from 150m onwards as far as capacity goes, unless you’re after Marlin that will potentially strip 400m. Benefits are a super smooth loop (pack the hollow out with a 20/30cm inner of the same material to give loop section a bit more padding/bite) plus it has a black mark every 25m and very colour fast orange which makes tracking it a bit easier.
Otherwise go for Daiwa J braid or Tasline 50/60lb with a 50lb braided mono loop or doubled bimini at a pinch.