Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 824825826827828 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 5:53am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Bullet it will be cool to see what improvements they do to the 400.
I'm hoping a lift in the nose to get it over chop, a larger front hatch, and maybe a tackle pod like the Reload and GT.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 10:01am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a bit of drama off local here yesterday arvo, a kayak fisher known to me turtled  about 400 -500m off beach. The alarm was raised resulting in Coastguard and Police attending, including police helicopter. All is well with said kayaker managing to get back to beach with his kayak and rod and even couple of fish.
Yak interestingly was a Viking profish 400. Which overturned when angler dropped his rod trying to place in rear rodholder, and the angler then lunged over, actually managing to grab it but capsizing in process. There is still an anchor out there attached to a orange handle thing, and he also lost a c-tug wheel and a knife. The rest of gear including couple of fish in a dive bag, the rest of the c- tug and paddle all remained attached to the yak.
Was reasonably calm conditions yesterday, and water still relatively warm, so hopefully good lesson for someone who is quite new to kayak fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 12:46pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That was an interesting local drama Shane, which was resolved fairly well by the sound of it, I hope the gentleman gets his anchor and gets back on the horse...I might be able to help him out with a C-Tug wheel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 7:55pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for offer Dave.. keep it in reserve. We got him another new c-tug wheel  this afternoon, a cheapie one, required a hack saw to fit but at under $20 from marine deals. Drove him there myself …as free company gas.
Helps he is still keen and needs to learn from it. To be honest so do all of us, as I know we fish a lot wider which would be worse, He almost swam it back in … but pretty whacked when coastguard caught up 50 -80 m  off beach.
Amazing he managed to actually turtle a Viking 400 and turn it upside down, as always thought would be less tender than OK which we fish out off. OKs  are narrower and higher point of gravity. The thing is obviously to not lean over too far whatever the yak.

Rod leashes … I never done it , probably won’t  either, but had he had he leashed it, he probably wouldn’t probably been lunging over side at it. He got the rod and rolled yak. There a lesson in there somewhere.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 8:01pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I went out yesterday morning lots of small snaps released and a couple of nice kahawai which made excellent fish cakes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 10:30pm
Gold
Gold

Receiving a dunking when you don't expect it...it's a wake up, but glad to hear he's still mad keen. 
What I like about kayak fishing is it's stability, about 50% pleasure 50% pain, this is good for the brain they say...the pain, although my studies on the brain have focussed on spiking snapper in the skull, I'm led to believe the limbic system does pleasure and pain in the yakker, quite a clever tool, so the slogging into the wind and  turtling the yak–pain, can make it  pivot towards  pleasure more surely than the internet and scotch...don't know about snapper spikes in the hands and hooks in the fingers, that might be going too far.
Tethering everything to the yak is not a bad idea though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 11:17pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You are a wise man Dave… must be the Glenfield coming out… 
I’m personally not into  tethering rods, as would find it annoying, and couple times turtled over years have been on beach… last time hardly off beach and wasn’t even in yak.
But hey has got me thinking more about general safety. Want to take him out where gurnard roam shortly… which is bit further out.

Think he’ll be fine. Trying to explain to him this arvo the best fishing for us is yet to come. Even if a bit colder. Nice cold morning, well wrapped up, calm water and a bag full of gurnards and occasional big snap. You can’t beat that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 8:53am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I don't tether rods either, find it too annoying. It does influence the $$ value of the gear I buy, no Certates or Stellas for me!

I do tether the paddle though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 5:16pm
Gold
Gold

It was drizzling and blowing a westerly of 10kts at dawn but the water was quite calm, by lunch the wind  dropped to nothing and it was dead flat and overcast, very peaceful it was, and perfect for fishing.I drifted down the bay on the out going tide flicking soft baits, and happily scored my first gurnie of the year, a 37cm beauty.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 11:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one…or is should I say 8 great fish, nice to see the gurnard in there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 9:42am
Gold
Gold

It was a nice surprise seeing a gurnie yesterday, same routine but different each time.
My yak was tailed by four shags off the sth end of Campbells yesterday, buggers, I wasn't watching them when I  brought a small snapp  to the surface, whoosh, a large shag came from under the yak and grabbed it, I thought it was a shark, glad it wasn't. Now the anchovies have moved on the shags are looking hungry...I'm not a catapult guy, I don't want to throw  projectiles at sea birds, so I'll just  have to share the water with those green eyed weirdos...and jet skiers... but can you even buy  Javelin missiles on ebay?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 12:58pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Consider retrofitting one of these to your yak:

https://content.instructables.com/ORIG/FM1/L921/H0FLJ31C/FM1L921H0FLJ31C.jpg?auto=webp
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 2:36pm
Gold
Gold

The bike train horn would've been a great piece of kit when I was an inner city cyclist in Melbourne, I'd go looking for drivers opening their doors into the bike lane with that thing. 
Mounted to the yak it would keep the shags away I'm sure, and make my present setup only slightly nuttier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 5:01pm
Gold
Gold

For the last four months I've caught all my fish using ZMan fried bologna soft bait, usually just one bait for the whole day, but today nada, the fish weren't interested. I caught all my fish on my back up rod dangling a yellow OA coin drop just off the bottom. Oddly it's the same bag of fish I caught with soft bait a couple of weeks ago: a 53cm kahawai, a 40cm gurnard, a few snapps around 40cm, the biggest 45cm...but their tastes have changed, the new models wanted a yellow dangly thing.
Next week I'm going to dig into the bait freezer and retrieve a mysterious lump of something to put on my dropper rig at anchor. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 10:37am
Gold
Gold

I like the wind under 6kts soft baiting, yesterday it was over 8+kts but with a gentle swell for most of the morning. 
The snapper wouldn't touch my soft bait on Tuesday but they took my coin drop, so I thought I'd put two coin drops out, but they didn't touch either of them and took my soft bait instead, go figure. It was an experiment using three rods, but two work better for me in the yak.
 I went out wide and drifted with the southerly wind along the no anchoring zone on the outgoing tide, there were half a dozen fish 30cm and under for each fish I kept, one fish made the reel scream but spat the hook, which was a bit of fun while it lasted, still I'm not complaining 35-45cm panko crumbed snapps are my favourites.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 4:36pm
Gold
Gold

I scored a 59cm snapper soft baiting off the Bays this morning, it weighed 3.5kg, I caught a few 40s too which look tiny along side it. There were a few other boats and yaks out, but I seemed to be the only craft in my area who made an effort to stay out of the no fishing zone, I've got Navionics on my phone, I bet the other boats have it too:). I was thinking about switching to bait today, but if the fish are still taking the softies, why bother with that stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 8:02pm
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice 59cm HY!
Wasn’t expecting much today tbh- buy turned out pretty good in the end.
Paddled behind the island (Sugar Loaf?) at Waiwera around 11am. Beautiful day, not a lot of boat traffic.
Snapper burgers went down a treat!
"There was an old man from Brussels,who was hooked on Opotiki mussels...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 9:34am
Gold
Gold

Good bag of fish there Mr Miyagi. 
I've been kayak fishing for two years now, but I'm just as keen to catch and eat the local snapps as I was on my first trip.
The ethics of catching a legal bag of fish with a rod from a canoe–a fair fight, beat the hell out of what Sanford are still doing, bottom dredging around Barrier and banking the loot.
My big snapp tasted great!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 3:11pm
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah I’m with you on that one HY!
After delivering fresh fish to my Neighbour’s and having snap burgers last night , I still had some for lunch today.. smoked paprika snapper kebabs.. the recipe was in the latest Fishing News Mag. Soooo good.
"There was an old man from Brussels,who was hooked on Opotiki mussels...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 6:29pm
Gold
Gold

I was very happy to see a large boil up off the Bays today, hundreds of birds: sooty terns, terns, gannets the whole shebang, I scored one kahawai before they all sped off. 
 I had one decent strike today after that, the fish hit my coin drop with a lot of weight and took off, but my fluro to braid knot broke and I lost my favourite yellow coin drop, still it served me well. Dragging my yak back up the hill I had a chat with the Captain of the Campbells Bay fleet, Shane, he once again recommended that I beef up my traces for the big ones, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it think:)...still I got dinner, and paddling into the easterly for a few kms on my way back in sure felt like exercise.

Page  <1 824825826827828 849>