Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 823824825826827 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 7:08pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

He got a real purty mouth ain't he
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 6:44pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got some really nice bait for the winter gurnard in weekend Dave. Freezer full now with individually packaged skippy fillets and scaled kahawai fillets. Plus one whole medium scaled kahawai , will probably use that last one on a boat mission, where can defrost whole fish and utilise head aswell for a big snap.
Particularly looking forward to catching gurnard on the skippy fillets, as one good fillet chopped when partially thawed translates to over 20 little cube baits. And likely then at least 10 or so gurnard per trip in the yak.

Sort of makes me also feel better about cost of all petrol used in boat on Saturday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 7:25pm
Gold
Gold

I enjoyed your report chasing marlin Shane, you weave in domestic details  with a light touch:), filleting and bagging your bait at sea sounds like a good idea. I've started using vacuum sealed bags for fish, if we've got a couple of fillets left over, I was surprised at how good snapper tasted after being frozen for a month in vacuum packs.
The beloved gurnards will be here in about six weeks I'd guess... so still time for a few more snapps, Sunday and Wednesday next week look good, but anything could happen with the wind by then. 
   When I was out on Friday, getting blown along with Monarch butterflies and bees from one side of the bay to the other, the fisheries inspection boat graced me with a visit, it's a bit awkward having a large boat approach the yak, but we have a pleasant chat about once a year I suppose, and I seem to catch a decent fish when they motor off. I got a new battery for my Bixpy today, so no hard paddling into the wind for me next trip:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 5:17pm
Gold
Gold

Kayak fishing was good medicine today, I haven't been out for a while. Anchovies and kahawai were everywhere and the snapps tagged along. I got the runaround from a dozen mad kahawai, some of the fish I released were huge, I kept a couple of small ones, and my  bag of snapps.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 7:56pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great  catch Dave, sounds like when I talked to you coming up road heavily laden, was magnificent day of multiple work ups.
As I recounted to you, you’ve got be careful with big kahawai hooked up and running around the kayak.. one almost guroted  me on ANZAC day/Monday going right round behind yak. Fish almost took my cap off, but rather grateful didn’t wrap the braid around my throat.
Those are some nice snappers out there in amongst a lot of fish, look to be eating those little anchovies that were  stuck to your yak.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 8:38pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hard Yakker, nice one again, pretty consistent mate

Second time this year fishing east side, saturday evening at narrowneck under the cliffs 2 hrs before sunset
Lots of birds further out, sea very lumpy out there before the channel
Preferred staying in close, heaps of throwbacks & only a few small ones for the bin, best going 38cm, all on baits, fish were very fat for their size
Smoked the kahawai yesterday

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 9:39am
Gold
Gold

I've never fished Narrowneck,  but good to see your report Banana Boat, those few days in March and April when it all lines up for the yakker are special: the wind is low, the water clear and the anchovies are everywhere, being among the boil ups is invigorating. 
Glad to hear you weren't garrotted by a mad kahawai with 30lb braid Shane, it would have been a rooky mistake for a life long fisherman, but there'd be worse ways to go:) 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 5:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Always respected a man who could spell “garrotted” , which I clearly couldn’t last night after bottle of wine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:52pm
Gold
Gold

I saw a few birds diving close to shore when I launched at 7:00am, but that was it for birds all day. What's left of the anchovies were somewhere else today.
The early morning fishing was lively, I released 6 small keepers by 8:00am, at that rate I thought I'd get bigger models later, but then it went quiet,  but I got a few. 
My paddle back in didn't go to plan though, rollers were barreling in fast at low tide, too fast for me. I caught a good wave, but it overtook me and another clobbered me from the side, I turtled like a schmuck. The water according to my fish finder was 17.5c, quiet invigorating.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 7:18pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Always respected a man who could spell “garrotted” , which I clearly couldn’t last night after bottle of wine.
Garrotted,hope it never happens. 
  1. kill (someone) by strangulation, especially with a length of wire or cord.
    "he had been garrotted with piano wire"
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 8:40pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Pcj, luckily braid l’m fishing with is only 6kg rather than piano wire, but thanks for expressing your concern. Really thoughtful, as the lucky survivor slurps another rum. Smile

Bloody good day day out there today boys, my young neighbours having JD and crays for dinner from Little B from yesterday… really feeling my work commitments and having to be around sucks on days like this. But at aleast my colleague got out today on father in laws launch… not heard how he got on. Someone got stay home and provide coverage for clients, that I understand.

HY didn’t see yak dragged past today,  are you sick?

I have 2 happy places could been today… firstly the V off off tuts , or secondly  between Hen and Cape  Rodney. Both my favourite spots this time of year. I’ll do both places in few weeks I hope.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 11:53pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just realised this is kayak fishing site… well off bays-might be occasionally productive for some edible species in next few mths from a yak.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 3:52am
Gold
Gold

HY didn’t see yak dragged past today,  are you sick?
I'm early to bed and early to rise so slow on the rebound here...
There was a lunatic in high visibility clothing dragging a kayak up the hill, wet from head to toe and waving his hands in the air outside your place yesterday arvo...but he didn't get your attention. 
 I can report though that I'm quite well, albeit a bit melancholic: where have the anchovies gone, will I ever learn how to read waves, will Vlad drop the big one and vaporise the earth, that sort of thing...
As for you being garrotted by a kahawai, that would be terrible, they'd be after me next...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 6:31pm
Gold
Gold

There was some good surf at Campbells today, I got through the breakers in the morning and paddled up to Brown's Bay Reef, fishing the southern end on the incoming tide, but it was hard work getting a few snapper today, still most of them were around 35cm, a good eating size.
Paddling back to Campbells I could hear the booming surf all along the Bays, but having turtled on Tuesday I was prepared today, I packed everything away then sat out behind the surf at Campbells counting the waves...until I decided it was time to make my move, then in a flash it was all over, quick unmajestic turtle number two in one week:)
May in these parts is the month the snapper do the baton change with the gurnies I think, so there's that to look forward to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 4:12pm
Gold
Gold

A flock of sooty terns flying low, bait fish boiling up, and water spirits dancing around my head, made me glad that I'm not dead:)
 With little wind and a few fish around it was a fun day to be out, 
I caught everything on a single zman Fried Bologna with a 1/4 once weight.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 6:32pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great catch HY. 
Good to hear the boil ups are still around. JD was a good catch. 
What did you catch it on?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 10:05pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah very nice work Dave, that bigger snapper and jd were obviously hiding in back of your bag when came past this arvo. Well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 8:03am
Gold
Gold

I got the JD Bullet with a Zman Fried Bologna with a 1/4 once weight, I was over a patch of mud with some sign, but the next couple of fish were under sized snapps, I'd guess JD's like little snapps?
The first birds I saw yesterday were a couple of kms out, I chased them for a while, but when it warmed up in the afternoon the kahawai came in close. I'm a big fan of kahawai sashimi, the wasabi burns my nose every time but I'm a sucker for that punishment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 8:16am
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah very nice work Dave, that bigger snapper and jd were obviously hiding in back of your bag when came past this arvo. Well done.

We have heard stories about you Shane, not surprised at all HY hid the bigger catch. Apparently anyone passing your house may reluctantly have to cough-up 10% of the catch should they be stopped by the Campbell's Bay's resident MPI LOL 

Great catch HY, like the mix bag Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:17pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers HY. 
I have fished the bay a few times, and shared some stories with the resident MPI LOL
Good to see this local thread still going. 
Last week lost a good one on the SB under a Kahawai boilup. Took the yak for a full speed tow with no stopping it. Rod in the holder and paddled after it. 5mins later got my line back but only in 6m depth and had come up to some foul. A short tussle trying to lift it, but snapped off. Reckon it was a good size king.
Ended up with 6 snaps to 45cm so cant complain. Have seen a few facebook posts about a new viking 400 model being launched. Sounds a good upgrade if you like the 400.

Page  <1 823824825826827 849>