Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 810811812813814 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 5:13pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 5:40pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 11:06am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quickie this morning at NN before the wind kicks in.... was in the shallows under the cliffs before change of light
Should have seen all the red lights at the Taka ramp, all the boaties backing down the ramp
Missed some good runs, bloody current was strong as predicted
Couple snaps & kahawai for a few dinners..... all done by 730am, back on land an hr later

The stinkest thing..... I was putting the detail into my fishing journal then just realised there was a moon rise at 825am.... would have been a hot bite around that time with that burley in the water...buggar

Anyone else keep a fishing dairy / journal
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 3:05pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 4:26pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Muppet, what softie colours were doing the damage?
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 4:43pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 5:17pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers fella
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:44am
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

To go along with Muppets report, headed out in nice calm waters after a long time off the yak for reasons various....i had had a couple of duck eggs the last time out, so was hoping for something a little different....took all the gear in case the kingies showed up but alas that did not occur.....what did occur was some nice fish coming aboard....the first taken was the trevally which was a really nice surprise as i haven't caught one for awhile so there will be some nice . sashimi...couple of snaps then came over the side, then the wind started  blowing which made it hard to stay on location.......I had Brent beside me and he had dropped his livie to the bottom and managed to pull up a nice fat JD, so with that encouragement i sent one of my livies down for the same result......so with a nice mixed bag headed in and cleaned up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 2:50pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice to read your report MichaelK, big trevally are an exciting fish, can't wait to move from the obedience of lock down to disobedience in a yak myself:).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 2:51pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Conditions looking good for Saturday. 

Outgoing tide and 4-6knt westerly for a drift out the Mahurangi channel 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 4:55pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

It’s spring and that simply means living with the wind. Some of my best days are in 25 knot SWsters though not desirable it makes little difference to the fish. So it’s up to you if you wanna take it on.

Just love those that would want to go out fishing in 25Knot /43kph winds you are my Heros. Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 5:05pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 7:08pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=Muppet]If you wait on a good forecast all the time you wouldn’t go.

Going Saturday piper fishing with the family. Will be fun.[/QUOTE) 

All good Muppet, Shall roll with that. But there is a massive difference between Knots and KPH.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 7:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:26pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

no one wants to fish in dumb conditions but bit like rock fishing offshore and higher winds where Dan fishes can be.done easy. Just got to play to the conditions. Rock fished those areas for years , mostly always somewhere to go, same with mahurangi. ECB on other hand too much wind from anywhere can’t go, can sometimes rock fish a strong Sth wester but no point in going out in yak more than 100 meters. So no point. Can cast almost that in strong offshore wind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:50pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Popped out after work for a strayline session on the outgoing. Was gonna launch at Tindalls but the wind had a lot more W in it than forecast so it was pretty snotty. Drove over to Little Manly instead and launched at 6pm. I knew I didn't have long so took all the wrapping off the salmon berley and pumped up a massive oil slick.

Found that whole pillies were just getting stolen without a proper run, so changed the rig down to a single hook and used half pillies. Lot of small snapper around but the better ones came on the bite around 7 - kept 3 nice eaters all around 45-50cm. Ran out of bait just as conditions started getting dicy as the forecast southerly finally arrived.

Had a bit of a moment on the way in when the stealth started surfing on a decent wave (ferry wake maybe?) and the front started digging in. Thought I was going for a swim for a second but I managed to dig my way out of it.

Swung by a mates place who had been out for a freedive and he gave me 8 scallops to go with the fish Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 11:29pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Worst day ever I had was Tutukaka mate. Went out in a snotty 25 knot SEster was literally paddling up a massive chop, I turned around and went back in. Others in the trip tried to go out past me but turned back thankfully. I couldn’t believe I even tried to paddle in it, came back to Auckland stopped at Mahurangi and nailed some good snapper there instead in flat calm seas 😂

The chop of a 20 knot SWster in Kawau Bay is more a pain than proper nasty. It is energy sapping for sure take food and water to keep you going. It’s certainly not impossible to do you just have to be mentally prepared to do it and know what to expect.
Most often the wind gets up later in the morning and can be often much windier in the afternoons. And conversely the fishing is often better in the afternoons of windy spring days.
tutukaka mate that’s proper ocean, boat country.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 8:56am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone tried RP yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 9:53am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Big Manly Yaka Big Manly Yaka wrote:

Anyone tried RP yet?

Hey mate, might be heading there tomorrow if wind stays nice and my guns are up for it. Its been couple of years at least since I paddled there
Page  <1 810811812813814 849>