Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 809810811812813 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 3:31pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 8:59pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ended up taking my 10yo daughter for a cast off the beach,  using fresh squid I caught last night. Nothing for me, but she landed a massive Parore on a 5/0 recurve hook and a bit of squid, this thing was knocking 50CM. Released it, and she caught a small snap and a large YEM.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 9:51pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went off waiwera this morning with a mate was a bit slow but both got a feed of snapper and Gurnard, quite a few small models of both around. Around 13m was the best depth but at the limitations of the "allowed" distance out. Plenty of sign but wind was cold and more than forecast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 3:27pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Those days where the water round the Bays was so clear that you could see the bottom out to 4-5m were very rare, but I remember the occasion fondly:) Nice bag of fish Shane and BB.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 3:31pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 9:30pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ventured a little further to my favourite local on Saturday morning and so did half of south Auckland, counted 30 yaks. Managed to get far enough away from the crowds as didn’t want them hearing the reel screaming 😉. Limited out in under an hour with a few bigger models this week. Outstanding conditions with a gentle westerly. 45-55cm.
Tamure fish cakes with Greek yogurt and chives dipping sauce 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 9:30pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 9:44pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 11:22pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great to see everyone getting out and amongst it. 

I had some success on Saturday morning, was nice and calm when I launched at sunrise but the wind did get up a bit later in the morning. 3 hours and 4 fat little pannies later I was back ashore. 

Softbaits for the first couple, then a larger 45cm model on one of my skutes, and then a little metal jig for the 4th. 

Fish and chips for dinner tonight! Beer battered with kumara fries and slaw. 

Picked up some brioche bread from the supermarket and it makes for a damn good fish burger if toasted in the pan with butter.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 4:35pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

far out, some good fish caught by you guys

that battered fish & those fish cakes look bang on

back in the day Telecaster, Parore (black snapper) were a good fish to catch & eat... needs to be gutted straight away, cant remember what they taste like, has been decades.... its a sort after fish in Oz (Luderick)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 10:03pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Parore are a great fish to catch and eat if cleaned properly. Some my my best memories are catching them of Ti point wharf and Johnsons point in waipu eastuary. Go hard on a 1970s 7 foot glass rod and shimano delux reel spin set up. What an outfit that was, used to  have it screaming on big trevs we used catch as well. 
Was my making as a fisherman,  trevs and parore, mainly on pipis we got ourselves. Ocassionally got a nice snapper, but weren’t our main targets. Good old days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 10:07pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I like the reports, fishing seems good close in right now.... maybe because the noisy boats have been off the water.
Pity I cant post from my phone, just read all the updates - so a delay from what I read til I can post.  Awesome catches guys.

I went for a paddle with my youngest on Sunday midday and he spotted what looked like a long stick in the water. I lifted it up and it was a surfcaster with reel but covered in 1inch seaweed. The line was still attached to the bottom.....weird as it was a hundred meters off the rocks and floating.
Gave it clean and it the rod came up like brand new, 2 piece Penn 12' surfcaster. It still had some plastic wrap on the handle!
The reel is another story - I googled it and its old and Im guessing the bearings will be buggered.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 10:09pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rod still be good as gold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 10:49pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went out after work for a local yak, before the fish get spooked by all the boats that are going to be on the water tomorrow. 
Two early snapper after 5 mins that went back caught on a bruised banana - was expecting a good evening. It went quiet after that for the next hour. I tried 5 different SB colours, I had the fish on the finder, I even tried gulp nuclear chicken that never fails....still no bites. 
At 6.30 I switched location - a little deeper and onto a pilchard colour paddle tail. Three fish in 3 casts, then repositioned to drift back on that location and got another respectable fish - going 44cm. 
So ended with a nice catch of 4, and was late enough home that someone else had already cooked dinner. 
Dolphins showed up on the way in - they have been hanging around the bays lately. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:25pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Brent and cool to see dolphins
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 10:46am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 5:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Reload will be bristling with arms this Saturday gonna try just about everything 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 11:18am
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bristling with arms you say...a bit of that happening in the Taiwan Strait at the moment, don't know if they're fishing though?...the Boarfish won't stand a chance on Saturday:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 4:34pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 4:43pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Little bit windy this weekend. What sort of conditions do you look for to decide whether you go out for a paddle or not Muppet? 

What's your plan, anchor and bait? or chuck some lures around? 

I suppose you'll go back to basics being the first time out in a while, and hunt those boarfish at a later date. 

Looking forward to hearing when we can get out of auckland again. Hopefully before Christmas! 

Page  <1 809810811812813 849>