Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 797798799800801 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 5:55pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just bought 3x500m Daiwa J-braid for under $54 delivered. What are the odds it's legit? Even at best?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 6:05pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 6:18pm
Gold
Gold

Good to know, thanks. I like a challenge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 6:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 6:27pm
Gold
Gold

You know it is now another "Let's test that out" challenge on my list aye? Trouble is, things get added to the list quicker than others are crossed off, so if you want to bump it up the list just keep telling us how crap it is, and throw in a few 'waste of money', 'will risk blowing a trophy fish', etc and then take a number mate, I'll get to it ASAP.

:-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 6:59pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agreed on j braid. It's lovely on an overhead,  casts really well and good lifespan. But no good on spinning reels for casting, maybe ok for jigging or livebaiting though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 9:35am
Gold
Gold

Cheers T. Intention was as a back-up 40-50lb mainline in case I got spooled on a moonshot mission. Was either this cheap J braid or that Edge brand Shane mentioned.

But will put some on a spin reel and force myself to softbait (ha) and see how it handles an idjit casting with it. I'm still not convinced it's even genuine product yet. Seems too cheap to be anything but a knock-off. Time will tell.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 7:53pm
Gold
Gold

Going progressively more insane having not fished for way too many weeks, if Wednesday's promise of a gentle offshore breeze and <1m swell looks likely I'm taking a mental health day off.

Not sure yet if it'll be the kidstix set up for kingies, the moonshot marquessa finally getting a long-overdue shakedown session, or trying to blood the okuma rv-55 on the mighty eclipse. Ha, might take all three and look like Kermit just fought a porcupine.

Oh, and discoBIC should get a swim too. Fingers crossed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 8:10pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

j - baid 80lb 4 carrier is rough as guts, great for puka on big overhead reel 50 size.
8 carrier j braid , I don’t know as was put off by 4 carrier… would probably shred your fingers to pieces on spin before even get to its casting imperfections… suspect would dig into itself on spin reel and damage reel, people’s  fingers, guides, etc.
The edge green braid while cheap is fine on spinners similar to suffix , maybe a little coarser, but nothing like j braid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 8:16pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I went out today for lovely paddle around in squalls and found out frozen kahawai unscaled is crap bait, managed small gurnard and small snap both released. First day of week off… was great to get out and no fish to fillet  meant I could sleep on and off  all arvo with my big fat cat on couch watching olympics.
Thinking off serious piper mission latter in week… might go Ti point wharf. Could take boat up and catch snapper off Pakiri… but that would involve some effort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 8:21pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Shane. Is 8-strand and one is the newer 'grand' 8 strand. Simply put, a suck-it-and-see initiative.

*edit* hope you enjoy the week off. Not a bad start - paddle, fish, couch snoozing, and watching luscious Lisa doing what she does so well. Good luck for the rest of the week :-)

*edit 2* No kingies yesterday but was great to be on the water, even if the wind was pretty serious around lunchtime and blew me off the water early.

I also note that kayak deal I posted a link to a few days ago is gone. Am surprised it lasted two days. Someone got a bargain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 4:45pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 11:09pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cant do this weekend, but maybe Thur or Friday next week if weather plays ball. Have to put leave form in on Monday.
Good luck if you go Sunday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 6:33am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 9:05pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

I got next Thursday off and got a 9.30am grunter mission planned at this stage…
k, I can go north or stay local for the grunters......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 10:18am
Gold
Gold

Got a far-too-short sunrise session in today. Nothing worth keeping but nice to feel some burn in the muscles. Probably best I didn't hook a kingi on the kidstix weapon (which is top of the to-do list), as another hour for the wind and outgoing current would have made for an interesting paddle in.

Received my tasline so will try spooling the moonshot marquesa today. What tension do you guys use to spool game reels? Whatever the max drag is (18kgs on this reel)? I guess I'll not be able to handle much more than about 12kgs drag in a kayak anyway, so any spooling tension above that will be fine? Am keen to see how much I can get on this reel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 11:17am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 11:54am
Gold
Gold

Nice one. looking forward to the other half of the story
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 3:46pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kingiFiddla kingiFiddla wrote:

... Received my tasline so will try spooling the moonshot marquesa today. What tension do you guys use to spool game reels? Whatever the max drag is (18kgs on this reel)? I guess I'll not be able to handle much more than about 12kgs drag in a kayak anyway, so any spooling tension above that will be fine? Am keen to see how much I can get on this reel.
What is the PE rating or given breaking strain of the Tasline you purchased?  Thickness?
I've never actually measured the tension when spooling a reel.  I just make it as tight as I can and every now and then lay the line quickly from one side of the spool to the other to help prevent the line from digging in to underlayers.
As I've said before I'm not a yakker but if you can manage anything like 12kgs of drag from a yak I tip my hat to you.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 4:25pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Page  <1 797798799800801 849>