Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 674675676677678 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 3:40pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:40am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ineed. Went out for a cast yesterday and sounder still reading 14.9 deg. Should well be into 16-17 by now?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 10:30am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah normally 16 by now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote WindCaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:23am
WindCaller View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My fishing buddy Nigel nailed this donkey of a snapper on Wednesday at one of our local spots on the Hibiscus Coast. It was a beatiful healthy Spring fish that swam strongly when released after a quick pose for the camera.
Now to size. It was a stocky kind of fish, still long but deep in girth and thick across the shoulder. We estimated the weight at 26-27lb but wonder what you guys think from your experiences of biggies. Nigel is a well-built lad but struggled to lift it into his boat. Choice!  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:52am
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jesus that is a hog. In great nick too like an overgrown schoolie so you can imagine that one is still doing some quality jizzing, big ups on the release.
Really thick through the tail, great girth and huge head - yeah I reckon your estimate is pretty near, could even be higher 20's...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:22am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish! Well done to Nigel!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:40am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:30pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's a BIG snap! Looks mid to late 20's for sure. Awesome stuff on the release, fish of a lifetime right there, especially in Aucklandđź–’
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WindCaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 11:06am
Bronze
Bronze

Another shot of the Hibiscus Beast (the fish, that is) which gives better perspective on the huge depth of this snapper. On reflection I would put the fish at around 28lb which is exceptional for the Hauraki Gulf these days IMHO.
Big softbaits are our usual go-to for the local biggies at this time of year but this one took a small piece of kahawai in 8m of water intended for a dinner pannie. Some fisherman are just born lucky aye Shocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 1:00pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by WindCaller WindCaller wrote:

Another shot of the Hibiscus Beast (the fish, that is) which gives better perspective on the huge depth of this snapper. On reflection I would put the fish at around 28lb which is exceptional for the Hauraki Gulf these days IMHO.
Big softbaits are our usual go-to for the local biggies at this time of year but this one took a small piece of kahawai in 8m of water intended for a dinner pannie. Some fisherman are just born lucky aye Shocked
A Bulky Beast alright Guys! Every bit in the high 20's. Great catch from the Yak! Thanks for Posting...Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 3:44pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WindCaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 4:25pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thought you would Muppet Wink
We had some some excellent fish to 15lb over at Motuoura Island earlier in the day and only stopped there to pick up some dinner on the way home! Not historically a big fish haunt for us but at this time of year the biggies can turn up anywhere along that coastline in the shallow reefy territory as you know. It certainly helps us yakkers when there are so few stink boats around but all that will change when the fleet puts in on Labour Day Unhappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 5:19pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 7:05pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What do u reakon next weekend Dan?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 7:31pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 2:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Popped out for quick fish this morning. Slightly breezy and wind against tide. Would be much better out there this arvo I suspect, although eventually got so windy and choppy had to come in. Snapper, kahawai and one trevally were biting, so managed a feed. Alvey and ledger rig doing damage as couldn't strayline in conditions. No gurnard this morning which was bit dissapointing.

Loving fighting snaps and kahawai on the alvey.. really getting hang of it. Might try a slightly bigger model with a real drag...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 6:06pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 1:24pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was it busy out there Dan? boats?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 3:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 9:16pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just couple hours ago (after 7) watched a guy walk his yak past my place ... going fishing. Wow hardcore, clearly not fazed by dark. Saw him last weekend at beach when I came in and wanted to know what I'd caught. I wished him luck.. as far as I know hasn't come back in. Guess I'm just soft but not sure I'd want to kayak fish off bays at night.
Page  <1 674675676677678 849>