Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 849850851852>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 9:46pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes it was a 63cm King, fat little fellow, fought like hell. As for the weather, Arrgh!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2024 at 5:27pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice catch hard yakker.
I’m still around, not getting out much but following.
Good to see the reports at my old local.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2024 at 4:30pm
Gold
Gold

I was out on Thursday and picked up a variety of fish, by dropping my metal lure while towing a livie, I got one take on my live Mac from a kahawai, other than that the line got tangled a couple of times, probably due to stopping while dropping my metal lure!
  Out on the waves I chatted with a youngster new to the patch, he was fishing from a beautiful new Stealth, they look like a hell of a yak for chasing the boil ups.
Bullet, you have picked a great period to not be yakking, the windows for fishing  have been so limited, your timing for a break couldn't have been better, yah haven't missed much. 
The local patch is still like a big garden, with seasonal offerings and odd things in odd corners, every now and again something happens...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2024 at 8:56pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome to see 3 species there. Well done!
Yeah. It’s been hard fishing everywhere on the east coast. Can get a feed but harder than usual.
No kingfish this summer either.
Looking to get back out at the end of May.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 11:02am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I also got out last Thursday, on my Stealth  (not so new 2016 Fisha500), and was in fact chasing a few boilups. Its a great yak for covering ground quickly with a little less effort than my old plastic Profish400. 
Got very little from the early morning bite time just on sunrise before full tide, but waited it out and around 9am birds started working and pulled out some good fish. One really good size snap, and a few nice pannies (plus a million throwbacks) also kept one of the big KY that were everywhere, and made a nice Iki Mata that arvo. left the birds still working across the bay which was hard, but after about 5 hours on the water my elderly bones were starting to complain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 3:41pm
Gold
Gold

The wind and swell were going against the tide this morning, it was a mess. The yak hit a wave on the way out and my fish finder died, a couple of decent .4-.5m waves hit me from the side when I was trying to fish with lures, in one word, it was crap, but I didn't turtle and it settled down a bit. 
I got one nice 6-7 pounder and a few pannies, and I threw back a lot of fish around 32cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2024 at 11:35am
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looking good off the local. Couple of yaks out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2024 at 9:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was out this arvo. Very nice day but did have wind against tide in arvo. But not such big deal in yak as can forward anchor off pulley system. Got 3 gurnard, one big one on strayline half mack tail. And one snap about 40cm, let a few smaller legal models go. Was on a hunt for few fillets, six gurnard fillets took home was happy with bar slightly milky 40 cm snap…as wanted to try out new deep fryer. Was purchased few weeks ago in Taupo briscoes (reduced to $60 from $199), while visiting daughter in Napier. Must say goes real well on campbells bay gurnard and does chips as well. Great purchase, wife who is a food nazi hates it. But I reckon it’s great as can make own beer batter and deep fry which you sure can’t do in her air fryer.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2024 at 5:22pm
Gold
Gold

Nice piece of kit Shane, and a bargain makes it better.
I don't know if I'm affected by sun storms or the moon, but I am affected by the wind dropping and the sea being perfectly flat. There were some nice moments before the rain came through today. I couldn't find the better snaps; God only knows I looked for them, but I caught enough fish all the same. There were big anchovy boilups moving very fast, in then out; they were spread over a huge area. I tried to catch up with them, but keeping up with mad Kahawai in a yak is a mug's game. When they came my way, I caught a few.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2024 at 6:59pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Dave, another good day. Phone rang tonight in middle of dinner, with boatie mate you’ve met a couple of times asking if any gurnard were around yet. I confirmed is odd gurnard around but not many. Was in middle of tucking into these gurnard tostadas pictured below. Three remaining fillets from yesterday.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2024 at 7:25pm
Gold
Gold

If I had a deep fryer like yours, I'd batter that whole dish plate and all, and drop it in the fat, can't go wrong...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2024 at 8:58pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

I was out this arvo. Very nice day but did have wind against tide in arvo. But not such big deal in yak as can forward anchor off pulley system. Got 3 gurnard, one big one on strayline half mack tail. And one snap about 40cm, let a few smaller legal models go. Was on a hunt for few fillets, six gurnard fillets took home was happy with bar slightly milky 40 cm snap…as wanted to try out new deep fryer. Was purchased few weeks ago in Taupo briscoes (reduced to $60 from $199), while visiting daughter in Napier. Must say goes real well on campbells bay gurnard and does chips as well. Great purchase, wife who is a food nazi hates it. But I reckon it’s great as can make own beer batter and deep fry which you sure can’t do in her air fryer.
<span style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba0, 0, 0, 0;">
</span>

Mate wives always hate deep friers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2024 at 9:48pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good reports all round lads... that deep frier looks the business.

Belated TR from OP Anzac day.... was a great morning to watch the sun come up and felt fishy as. Lots of birds and anchovies boiling up everywhere. Started slow but just got better and better. Ended up with bin full of snaps and two horse KY which I was stoked with as havnt seen or caught a big KY in years.... smoked up nice.

What a difference two weeks makes , was 0 degrees driving through Clevdon on Sunday morning and I could see the fog in the low light being pushed by a southerly when I got to OP. I do love winter fishing but it was cold with a persistent southerly all morning. Fishing was slow with the no sign of bids or anchovies I struggled through the morning but still managed a good bin of 35cm - 40cm snapper. Was happy to get off the water about 1030am dry off my feet and get a pair of wooly socks on...... sometimes it's the simple things in life. Few pic from ANZAC and Sunday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2024 at 9:50pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2024 at 9:51pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 8:24am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hardly ever use my deep fryer now, it tends to make the house smell like a takeaway shop. I mainly use panko crumbs and shallow fry. Chips in the air fryer go good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 8:36pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice catches there Hopkins., although smaller than you usually get. Yes Telecaster air fryer panko crumbs is good and healthier. But I love deep fried fish in beer batter and usually what order if available on Friday pub lunches. Now when retired next year will be able to offer my deep fried fish as option with bbqed sausages to those who might otherwise invite me to lunches and want to call in .. when I can  no longer afford to go with them.  5 for lunch we normally do, they bring the beer I’ll supply the food. Most keen already.
As Kandrew eluded wives hate deep fryers mainly for health reasons in my case but she also reckoned burnt oil vapour hurt her eyes. Just need to keep everything ventilated. I am a gym bunny now so not planning over indulge, but maybe run it 3 times a month to turn oil over. Also keen to try a light tempura batter made with rice flour and soda water.
Reason deep fryers so cheap now is air fryers taken over… but you can’t do sloppy batter in air fryer and turn it into crispy gold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2024 at 5:15pm
Gold
Gold

A gentleman caught and released a 16lb snapper off the beach yesterday, lucky him and lucky snap. 
Conditions were beautiful for paddling today, but the fishing was a bit slow, good job flicking soft baits is fun, fish or not, kept a few nice fat ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2024 at 5:24pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 1:37pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Narrowneck this morning, new spot by the cliffs, along a tide line that feeds a hole in 6.5m
Have caught a few trevs around there during winter & same again today.... heaps of undersize snaps, just 1 keeper snap at 35cm
Around hr 15 before low tide it was all over, lines straight up & down & the back eddy taking baits in an incoming tide direction
Fresh kahawai got the best trev, pilchards for the others
Page  <1 849850851852>