Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 831832833834835 839>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 4:30pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I fished the out going tide today, starting with a bruised banana jerk shad on a 1/4 oz hook, then when the water got moving I changed to a 1/2oz short shank hook on a new penny curly tail.
 I only kept a few snapps, but threw back a lot of fat 35cms...they'll be fatter next time:). I didn't use bait and didn't catch a single gurnie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 6:59pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I went out this afternoon and did a few hours. We’re schools of kahawai working up with a lot of birds- terns and sootys. 
Anchored yak in couple spots, only got couple gurnard but quite a few snapper… took three snapper, nothing bigger than about 35cm, also picked up couple of kahawai. One of kahawai had three barely digested pilies in in it which supplemented my bait suppplies.
 Very nice warm conditions out there. Looks like spring is here, few people swimming at beach when came in just after 4pm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 7:19pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

I went out this afternoon and did a few hours. We’re schools of kahawai working up with a lot of birds- terns and sootys. 
Anchored yak in couple spots, only got couple gurnard but quite a few snapper… took three snapper, nothing bigger than about 35cm, also picked up couple of kahawai. One of kahawai had three barely digested pilies in in it which supplemented my bait suppplies.
 Very nice warm conditions out there. Looks like spring is here, few people swimming at beach when came in just after 4pm.
Nice report Shane. At about 4pm I could see a massive work up - looked like out from your bay stretching half way to Rangi. I havent seen one that big in the last 20 or so years....  

I snuk out for a couple of hours at first light just north of you Shane. 
Towing a SB I caught a nice 40cm Kahawai that I towed around as a live bait. 
Picked up 2 snapper with biggest going 40cm. There were a few sporadic workups popping up every 10mins or so - fast moving. Didnt see any Snapper under them or in the exhaust. Back in nice and early. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 8:24pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah Brent not many snapper of good size under the work ups today, probably as pretty early… but hoping few more bigger snapper (and kings) move in closer over spring if the work up activity keeps going in next few weeks and we don’t get too many big storms which silts everything up.   Good to see some bait coming in closer though.
And glad to hear you are getting out again and getting some nice fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 10:56pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cant wait for those bigger fish.... LOL
I did manage a couple of trips with Dan over summer where he taught me a few more tips. Can never know everything. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 3:50pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Early morning sesh off NN, the current was ripping thru today out past the the green marker
Paddled into the shallows to do baits, the bite came right on moon rise for 20mins, before were heaps of throwbacks to 32cm
Keeper snaps of 36 47 on salted pillie & fresh mackie for the better one, plus trevs 46 47 both on squid

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 5:29pm
Gold
Gold

Nice fish BB.
I was out this morning and caught the snapps I wanted in an hour of soft baiting, then spent many hours chasing but not finding gurnies, I finished with two, but I'm buggered if I know where the rest of them are.
I somehow turned my Navionics app off, and was messing with my phone trying to figure out where I was, when I noticed out of the corner of my eye a lot of little fish jumping out of the water, the sounder went chock-a-block with fish, but there were no birds onto them and the large school was moving very fast, it was a nice moment, I put my damn phone away.
There were some fast moving breakers when I came back in, so I put everything away, broke my rods down and lashed them to the yak, then took what I had coming stoically, like the captain of the Titanic minus the orchestra, turtling on the first day of spring was quite invigorating:) 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 6:23pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice sesh you had there HY
That shore break has always put me off visiting your home base for gurnies
Ive got zero experience with any surf, plus its cheaper to wuss out haha
Enjoy the gurnard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 8:15am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work lads. I'm running the north shore half marathon on Sunday morning so long training runs have been dominating my weekends lately. Looking forward to a few weeks of lighter training and getting into some spring snaps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 7:57pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice trevs and snapper Banana Boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowannicks@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 8:41pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice haul.
I miss killing things in NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 11:20pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice to see that chime in from Australia… it’s my brother in law , a very fine fisho, and in his younger day I’m sure would been convert to yak fishing. But fully knows potential as a local boy and later very successful charter skipper in wider gulf. Would certainly know back of his hand round narrow neck and taka.
Anyways Dave hard luck on turtle guess you’d tucked everything away pretty good too not be too concerned and clearly had all your fish secured. Your reels probably need stripping down. You should if not already be doing your own with those penns… smart man and time on hands to look at utube videos… when you are really good at it, let me know for those one in hopefully 3 yr incidents  I have.  Swat up on Calcutta 200d for me please.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 9:27am
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice catches. Hoping weather forcast did badly, so the weekend could be better for a trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 6:27pm
Gold
Gold

I paddled out for a bit of soft baiting today, and tried out a new micro soft bait: TRD MinnowZ, Pearl Blue Glimmer, it's a small white tube fitted to a small white jig head, it looks a bit like an anchovy I suppose. 
  A few kahawai smashed it, I was using  a 1-3kg rod and 6kg line, the jig head was so light it was hard to get distance on the cast but it seemed to work, it was a tip from Mark Kitteridge, I bumped into him in H&F so quizzed him on a few things, these micro baits were his recommendation. 
The water was a bit murky today, and the wind was doing the run around, tomorrow will likely be a better day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 8:04pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seems a very effective soft bait Dave.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 6:46pm
Gold
Gold

I paddled out with my dropper rig for some gurnard today, I didn't go out far, just paddled for 10mins I'd say, but it was a fine fishy day. 
First up were four kahawai, then the snapps and the gurnard arrived. I caught them all on my gurnard dropper rig using number 6 recurve hooks and small chunks of kahawai, the biggest snap was 54cm:).
I don't need any more fish but I'd say tomorrow would be a good day for it too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 7:15pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That’s awesome, well done on the 54cm that’s a lovely sized snapper. Used to be common be common off here.. pretty hard to come by lately. Would of pulled pretty good on the gurnard rig. Must wondered what was on other end?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 7:33pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Shane, I thought the 54cm snap was a small shark so I was happy to see pink when it came up, it was hooked on one of my own dropper rigs, I'm glad the knots held.
 I was using tiny  bits of bait ,trying to make  things easy for the gurnies, but this snap ate both hooks on the trace! The lower  hook and the higher hook, I haven't seen that before, must have been hungry? It's a lot of fun catching the bigger models, but a 40cm snap is 10/10 on the plate for me. I was happy to pick up some more kahawai for bait too, there were boil ups 4-500m off the beach.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 2:02pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

Thanks Shane, I thought the 54cm snap was a small shark so I was happy to see pink when it came up, it was hooked on one of my own dropper rigs, I'm glad the knots held.
 I was using tiny  bits of bait ,trying to make  things easy for the gurnies, but this snap ate both hooks on the trace! The lower  hook and the higher hook, I haven't seen that before, must have been hungry? It's a lot of fun catching the bigger models, but a 40cm snap is 10/10 on the plate for me. I was happy to pick up some more kahawai for bait too, there were boil ups 4-500m off the beach.

Nice work HY - sounds like a good session. How'd you get on with those micro SB's? I've got a few to try as well, hear they go well on the trevs, and also good around Christmas when the snapper are a bit shy. 

I've got leave for a yak mission tomorrow morning! First time out since the newborn arrived, will be a quick one but I'm fizzing for it.

Going to hit up NN. Planning on swinging by rough rock then out to the channel for some big drifts on the outgoing tide. Fishing softbaits and slider. 

Any tips on depths/areas? I haven't fished NN in ages. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 2:32pm
Gold
Gold

I have used micro soft baits once, it was the one photographed above, threaded onto a very light white jig head that Mark Kitteridge recommended matching it with–and he threaded that one on as a model. Mark said you don't need to add scent to these little baits, but Mullet for those interested was his favourite secret sauce on other ZMan soft baits. He recommended 12lb line and a light rod with these, but said he had hooked some big fish.
 I picked up jack macs, kahawai and snapper on the day I gave it a flick, but the water visibility was very poor, tomorrow could be a good fishing day, so I might venture out and give it another go, it will be my catch and release day.
The little jig head weighs about 5gms, I found it hard work trying to get distance with a 5gm jig head, but it seemed to hook up wherever it landed, I might try it on a 3/8 bulb.
I've never fished NN, but BB has caught some good fish there.
Page  <1 831832833834835 839>