Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 808809810811812 818>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 1:16pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Shane, bait?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 3:01pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work boys, the condition on my fish was really good, I got 1.9kg of fillets from 2 pannies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 3:53pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah bait..ran out a bait as wasted few of 10 pack n save pillies at first spot I tried. Luckily scored three macks on handline. Which gave 6 baits cut in half. Still ran out bait just when started catching better fish. Was only about 250m out. So almost compliant.  Wink 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 5:09pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha 😂 yeah I think that’s ok. I was in the same range. Quite funny the wind started out east for about the first 45 minutes. Turned NW then the fish started to bite hard out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 8:37pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Paddled out in the twilight off Maraetai in absolute perfect conditions. Slow start but once the sun came up the action was hard and fast. Kept the first 7 legal snappers I caught throwing back plenty of small ones. Four on soft bait ( laguna shrimp) and the three biggest on the bruised banana slider. Off the water at 830am. Cracker of a morning, went for a swim after I got back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 8:52pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very nice Hopkins
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 9:21pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yea cheers Muppet. Well done everyone on this page I reckon. Lots of positivity here , long may it continue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 9:29pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fish lads, you've inspired me.
 I'm now going to buy more fishing tackle online, when NZ opens up in 2022 and I get to see all these packages  in the mail, it'll be like Christmas, something to look forward to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 6:35pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

some nice fishies caught there guys, bloody good to see
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:36pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out tonight leaving at 4 pm to celebrate mental heath week and daylight saving.  Too many small fish and a very pesky cormorant to go with the bitter cold southerly wind. Came in early with one keeper. Nothing like yesterday but that is fishing. At least have a few fillets to drop off at my parents tomorrow afternoon after my 2nd COVID jab.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rhumbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 9:09pm
Rhumbo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice Shane. I managed to “borrow” a fish2kayak to explore my local waters. But the explosion of great whites in my local area has meant I’m leaning more towards the boat.
I miss killing things in NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 9:44pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah Rowan those Ozzie whites are bit like Melbourne construction protesters, bit more aggressive than the NZ version. You have got a safe NZ made surtees boat too. Be a big shark that takes you in that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 6:48pm
Silver
Silver

Here's a fisheries report on snapper in Port Phillip Bay Victoria, this content is a stretch for the Auckland kayak forum, but some of the general information on snapper could be of interest to someone over the ditch. Victoria's management of their fishery may have lessons for other regions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 8:39pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

did watch some it Dave, amazing how those big snapper school up and basically travel into a massive estuary environment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 12:27pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty good forecast for tomorrow, who's heading out?

I'm going squidding tonight so if I get a few it's be rude not to have an evening strayline session tomorrow...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 4:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will see, but will be Sunday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 7:22pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

did watch some it Dave, amazing how those big snapper school up and basically travel into a massive estuary environment.
The fisheries clip was nerd stuff for the enthusiast,but amazing how the big snapps return to the Bay in October , right about now I'd guess.
The shelter of the Bay and the zooplankto and nutrients from the Yarra river were said to be vital for the snapper larvae surviving their first 20 days, before they become juveniles and can feed on the bottom. The gopro clip of the snapper tornado, so called Broadcast spawning was interesting too. They can release 800,000 eggs while spawning, but they do that multiple times a season.

I hope a few big reds make their way along your strip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 12:46pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Me & a mate did NN this morning.... bloody wind against tide proved hard going for me to begin with, took ages to find them, got a feed up 43cm on piper, salted mullet, salted pillies
Probably doz or so yaks out there.... bit chilly in the WNW breeze, was surposed to have been SW10, which would have been ideal.... good to be out again

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 1:05pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nothing wrong with that bag BB 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 2:40pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great late morning excursion off bays launching about 10 in by 1.30 pm. Took 5 nice 40 cm snapper and threw quite a few other well legal fish back. Got to have a paddle near the orcas frequenting bays on way in which was cool. The water was also so crystal clear today, interesting paddling over all the reefs. 

My new rock grapnel anchor set up got stuck but managed to free it. Have set up so I can put handle piece of drain pipe attached to old bulk nylon spool warp goes on into a rod holder and basically paddle round to free it. Works well and far safer than trying to pull stuck anchor up in a kayak by hand.
Page  <1 808809810811812 818>