FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a~~tauranga fishing

Page  <1 329330331332>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 7:12pm
batman34 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Al, hope your luck improves for our trip to White Island in a couple of weeks. There’s no room for passengers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 7:22pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Just to even up the ledger a bit, I had a reasonable time with the tarakihi on Sunday, pretty much straight out from the entrance.
Some decent sized fish in the mix too Big smile

Until the last 6 weeks I hadn't fished for tarakihi in years  & must say I'm enjoying the change .
Been doing ok, thanks to the Minn KotaWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote maccasparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:46pm
maccasparks View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by batman34 batman34 wrote:

Al, hope your luck improves for our trip to White Island in a couple of weeks. There’s no room for passengers

Na mate I'll be right - got the dud trip out of the way.
I just have to remember to " turn the Fu%#ing handle "
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 7:12am
puff View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sounds like it’s hard fishing at the moment for most.
As the weather and sea temp get better, let’s hope the fishing starts getting better....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 12:40pm
viscount View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone tried north of kawera on the small foul lumps for terras?
beers wings and things
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote badger99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:53pm
badger99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

kitno

hey  kitno, ive just re read my last post on here.
i have to apologise for sounding like a complete dickhead.
it was late and sounded funny in my head, but looked like crap written down
ive benefited from and appreciate your sharing
im one who could probaly benefit from your spots :)
been a while since ive managed a decent catch haha
please accept my apology for been a dick :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:18pm
kitno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by badger99 badger99 wrote:

kitno

hey  kitno, ive just re read my last post on here.
i have to apologise for sounding like a complete dickhead.
it was late and sounded funny in my head, but looked like crap written down
ive benefited from and appreciate your sharing
im one who could probaly benefit from your spots :)
been a while since ive managed a decent catch haha
please accept my apology for been a dick :)

No apologies needed, and you didn't sound like a dickhead at all, lol. I would be more than happy to spend some time on the water with you and get your empty bin looking a bit better. PM if you're interested in taking up the offer, cheers Craig.
Top 10 finish
2019 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote badger99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 7:32pm
badger99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cheers kitno :)

viscount...
i was crusing around there   north east of karewa, found a rock... i marked it, but i cant find it again. but  i must always be close to it.. ive been there 3 times and believe it or not ive caught 1 terakihi each time haha...   only 1.   on uncles terakihi mcflasher that i bought at a shop... didnt know it was uncles until i read the packet...
anyway last time i was therewas 2 weeks ago and i caught 1 lol.
associate of mine reckons get everyone on the boat using small hooks with tuatua and might do better...  this spot is 28 metres.... caught my pb snapper there too.
ill write down the co ords when im next at the boat.. but  yea this rock is pretty small
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 7:43pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

There are a few tarakihi patches in that area Josh.
Not necessarily "rocks" just areas of mud & sand that  tarakihi favour.
Yes, keep the hooks small AND the bait too.
Fish hard on the bottom with tuatua or skipjack bait.
If you find the sigh you should be in Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote badger99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 7:53pm
badger99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i got a pretty low level souner.. its got a good accurate chart part i dont trust its fish finder...  yea Bill them little hooks are an arse for me to bait with my fat chubby fingers haha..  yeah i made my baits smaller than my lil fingernail. :)
got there with by big hook ledger and felt lil bites, so swapped to your rig and 2 seconds after it hit the bottom double  hook up... one undersize snapper and half decent terakihi and  put the line straight back and nothing.  i suck at accuratly anchoring on spot and had a look at those minkotas. bit too expensive at the mo to suit our boat

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:44pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hello all 
Anyone familiar with Faulkner's Channel by chance?
Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 1:14pm
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As someone who is being seconded to Tauranga for work shortly this thread makes for depressing reading compared with the Hauraki Gulf? When does the harbor fire?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 5:27pm
lizid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mid Feb thru to end of May is the prime period for both condition and numbers of snapper. Tapers off the last 2 weeks of May. There are fish there earlier (from now) but too high a proportion of them are skinny and / or have that soft white flesh. I and most locals I know hardly bother with snapper fishing this time of year. Kingis are a different story - many options there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pullasiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 6:51pm
Pullasiki View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went bowentown harbour today. Mid day in the hot sun. Very flat and calm but a nasty wind picked up which made it challenging and ended up packing up early. Plenty of snapper up kati end. Healthy population after the bad weather. Caught 7 in an hour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:05pm
Silver
Silver

Hi there 
Kati end as off Kati (Beach Road) or up Bowentown end please?
Went out this morning, glass bit of wind.
Not a bite except one octopus! Brilliant orange turned to aluminium colour when on the floor of the boat. Fascinating.
Cheers
CN 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:13pm
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pullasiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 5:06pm
Pullasiki View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey CN,
Launched bowentown and went up kauri point. A fair way up away from everyone. Been pretty consistent lately. A lot of 25cm though. Mid day too which is good to see
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 8:49pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

First day out since August. Headed out from Bowentown to around 30mtrs, and in to around 20mtrs along Matakana. Came back with 1 Gurnard, 1 snapper and a 90cm kingy. Bloody hard day fishing wiith not a lot biting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 12:37pm
Silver
Silver

Thank you for the info Pullasiki!

Went out this morning Bowentown end.

Absolutely beauty morning, conditions wise ...

Couple of bites and a small run. Wwnt all over the show - very slow. 

In saying the above, something pulled the burly off the back of the boat. Only in a 12'er so ... Confused I need a bigger boat!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote badger99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:46pm
badger99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

went out this moring 32 metres just north/north west of  karewa island. fished with yesterdays gathered tuatua... got 11 terakihi. and 1 43cm snapper on a green/purple soft bait.. bit of a breeze this morning..., died to nothing

Page  <1 329330331332>