Anyone missing a net ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone missing a net ?
    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 6:18pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

About 150 mtrs from home there is a wooden ramp suited to launching kayaks & light boats into Lucas Creek to access the upper harbour at Greenhithe.

Was there about 10 mins ago & a fisheries officer was disposing of a dozen or so mullet, a couple of ky & a small snapper which apparently had come from an illegally set net.g

Going fishing tomorrow & purchased 3 fresh mullet to use for bait therefore having paid over $10 each it was a tad distressing to see over $120 prime fresh bait being dumped.

Presumably the net had been confiscated as well but the reason was unknown but would venture to say was due to not having the owners contact posted.

What is the situation if a net catches a species in a net that has a smaller mesh size than legal for the species caught but through no fault of the owner of the net who throws them back even tho dead ?

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The first thing that raises a red flag with nets to me is the lack of contact details on the net. If fisheries officers find them like that they empty the net and confiscate it.

I beleive if the species caught doesn't correspond with minimum mesh size allowable for that species, then it must be released alive or dead as soon as practically possible.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 4:00am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can anyone remove illegal nets or only a F/O. No name and milk bottles as markers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 1:34pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Best to call 0800 poacher if you see an unmarked or illegally set net
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 2:37pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Don't know if anyone watches the docos on the Texas Game Wardens. When they confiscate illegal fish or game they give them away to people who they think need them or will use them. They also issue a form saying the fish/game have been gifted. Pity fisheries can't do that here instead of wasting it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 3:31pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Coutta Coutta wrote:

Don't know if anyone watches the docos on the Texas Game Wardens. When they confiscate illegal fish or game they give them away to people who they think need them or will use them. They also issue a form saying the fish/game have been gifted. Pity fisheries can't do that here instead of wasting it.

I agree but they are probably worried about public liabilty in case the fish haven't been handled properly Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 10:14pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

a set net in my opinion is a relic from the past. No need for them in the modern world. Drag it, cast it fine it’s actively being fished so bycatch is released or be set in shallow water so can only get desired species. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb