Anyone get out today??

Page  <1 678910 451>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 8:30am
fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I went and fished Scow point Tuesday  ( next to Jones's bay in Tarawhanui) from 4-6:30 pm and caught lots of nice fat kahawai.  Straylining with pillies was the order of the day, just a little weight to counteract the wind when casting.  Then very slowly reeling in to keep in touch with the bait and keep it up off all the kelp.
The moocher I really wanted did not show his head, but never mind.  The wind was up and made it difficult to cast and notice bites.  The water was a bit murky but not too bad.  There was a very definite edge to the dirty water, and I was trying to reach this with my casts.  There always sems to be more life where two environments or ecosystems meet, be it on land or sea. That's my theory anyway.
I was with a mate who hasn't fished much and never off rocks, so it was a bit riskiy.  Sometimes you spend ages tying on tackle for them or showing them knots or helping to deal with snags.  But luckily john was fine most of the time and caught fish.  It's bad news when you are trying convert a non fisher to fishing, and you don't catch anything. They walk away with their belief reinforced that fishing is standing on a cold wet rock with a rod in your hand for hours on end and nothing to show for it.  Luckily not the case that nigh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 8:37am
fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hey ClintE,
Good looking rig there, all painted and everything.  I just got a yellow bucket that someone gave me too.  I thought it might be good if someone has to throw it out to you (with the lid on) if you ever end up in the drink.  Good visibility for the rescue chopper when dragged out to sea LOL
You will find that you will need good padding on that bottom horizontal frame tube, which will be in the small of your back.  I've got a load of sponge taped to mine, but what I really need a is a good padded wide belt like you get on a modern rucksack.  However, I am not about to cannibalise my own camping one.  I've been eyeing my wife's though.....
Maybe Kenshin will post a photo of his newrig, adapted babycarrier.  Very simple to make in three easy steps:
1. Locate baby carrier
2. Throw out baby
3. Replace with fishing gear.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 12:42pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice report there Fisher , allways nice to catch fish , your bud would of been pleased with his catch and fish for tea Smile
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LOMBASOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 12:53pm
LOMBASOMB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

good stuff mate!  I was thinking some HVAC foam (that they use on industrial aircon units) around that bottom pipe might be the go for that.  Im still going to get rid of the  10l bucket and have 2 20's.  The bottom one is going to get 50 odd 1.5' holes drilled in it and used as a burley bucket.  It will also carry all fish related/smelling gear while the top one will be all non (clothes, food, water etc) - and make a great seat too Tongue

Would love to see photos of more rigs! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LOMBASOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 1:02pm
LOMBASOMB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers oneleg - cant  wait to use it in anger!  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smellyfingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 4:55pm
smellyfingers View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well third time lucky it was for me, went to the same spot Saturday, Monday and Wednesday. Saturday and Monday was choppy with no fish, Wednesday nice and calm and two nice fish.

Aswell as being calmer on Wednesday I bought some salmon pellets and made a brew up with some old pillies. Lobbed a few ladels out, couldn't believe the slick and how far I could see it for into the distance. After half an hour started to get some nibbles followed by taking a nice 4lb snap, baited up again and immediately got into a 6lber.

Got a few more hits and a big run but spat the hook. After that all went quiet even with heaps more burley.

Throughly enjoyed myself and for half an hour it was magic.

Would be out again tonight but the missus wont let me, she says she doesn't want to be a fishing widow, although she doesn't complain when shes feed her face with fresh fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 7:18pm
kingphin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

foreshore, that sedimentary convergence zone can be where all the activity is with full range feeding cycle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 8:29pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smellyfingers  try and talk her in to comeing out with you ,company is always nice take a nice seat for her and a nice cupper , never know you, might end up getten chased along to go fishingSmile hasn't worked for meCry but for you ?
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 9:07pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here you go Clint as fisher mentioned, I used to carry my daughter on it when going on overseas trips and shes way too big for it now. I took off the baby seat and compartment and tie up my fishing backpack and bait bucket. Rods are mounted on the side so I only carry my second rod holder.

Went for a fish this evening with fisher on Milford, Bungel didnt make it though It was very slow! but got me a 2.5Kilo snap for dinner tomorrow. Fisher took off ahead of me but I stayed until the cold westerly blew and blew and it went too cold for me so called it off and went home around 7pm.

Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LOMBASOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 9:16pm
LOMBASOMB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

mate - thats awesome.  the straps look nice and padded.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 9:25pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thanks, Oh this was also inspired by fishers rig aswell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LOMBASOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 9:36pm
LOMBASOMB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i can almost see a market!Tongue   I remember about 15 years ago (when I used to be a stainless steel welder) we used to make "spud guns" -  4" chamber,  2 inch pipe barrel,   2" dairy fitting welded on the end with a BBQ igniter in it.  You then ram a spud down it and a quick sqirt or engine start.  

Press the ignitor and "BOOM" off the spud flew for 150 metres (rather rapidly I might add) .  The idea was to sell it as a "cast assistor".  In reality carrying 10KG of spuds isnt fun,  the "cast assist function" blew the bait apart,  it was good for distributing berley 100 metres off shore (not that you want that) and of course shooting seagulls when you were waiting for fish was the best part! - man that was fun.   1/2 a pilly 10 metres away - fish in a barrel!  

PS - diagram avaliable to anyone if they want. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 10:49pm
fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hey kenshin, how did your snapper go from 2lb to 2.5kg?Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 10:50pm
fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Any way of putting the posts about the backpacks onto the old packpack post?  Just thinking about anyone doing a search in the future.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LOMBASOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 11:35pm
LOMBASOMB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

why dont we start a new thread and all of us put our photos up.  All centralised then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Michael Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 12:38pm
Michael Jenkins View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Clint E Clint E wrote:

and of course shooting seagulls when you were waiting for fish was the best part! - man that was fun.   1/2 a pilly 10 metres away - fish in a barrel!  

AWESOME!

hey can you come down to st. helliers and shoot one particular gull with it?

It's one of those speckled grey/brown big ones and it's a real bugger! Normally you can simply fold the top of your pillie bag over, underneath the rest of it and the gulls cant work it out, but not this one. I've had this one pull open a single knot tied with the handles of a shopping bag that was put under my backpack. i now put my pillies in a ziplock bag that you get peanuts in which it cant get a grip on but it's a hastle and if the fish are feeding you're more worried about get another bait in the water than gull-proofing the bait, and it's just this one clever bird.

....anyways headed out with 'mountain goat' to army bay on weds, 1st time we'd fished there, pleanty of little snapper about, and we got alot of jack macs in the burly neer the end. he managed to haul out a pannie snapper and i got a trevally, so we both got dinner anyways Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smellyfingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 1:59pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by one leg one leg wrote:

Smellyfingers  try and talk her in to comeing out with you ,company is always nice take a nice seat for her and a nice cupper , never know you, might end up getten chased along to go fishingSmile hasn't worked for meCry but for you ?

When the weather gets warmer I might have a chance but for now I haven't a hope in hell. The missus is soft as a brush, can't bear to walk on bare floorboards let alone go outside. The only reason she goes outside is either to go to work or go for a coffee. Does this sound familiar to anybody else?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 4:14pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by fisher fisher wrote:

hey kenshin, how did your snapper go from 2lb to 2.5kg?Wink

It got exagerated when presented to the missus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smellyfingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 4:32pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by WHIZZZZZ WHIZZZZZ wrote:

Originally posted by Clint E Clint E wrote:

and of course shooting seagulls when you were waiting for fish was the best part! - man that was fun.   1/2 a pilly 10 metres away - fish in a barrel!  

AWESOME!

hey can you come down to st. helliers and shoot one particular gull with it?

It's one of those speckled grey/brown big ones and it's a real bugger! Normally you can simply fold the top of your pillie bag over, underneath the rest of it and the gulls cant work it out, but not this one. I've had this one pull open a single knot tied with the handles of a shopping bag that was put under my backpack. i now put my pillies in a ziplock bag that you get peanuts in which it cant get a grip on but it's a hastle and if the fish are feeding you're more worried about get another bait in the water than gull-proofing the bait, and it's just this one clever bird.

....anyways headed out with 'mountain goat' to army bay on weds, 1st time we'd fished there, pleanty of little snapper about, and we got alot of jack macs in the burly neer the end. he managed to haul out a pannie snapper and i got a trevally, so we both got dinner anyways Smile

I know the one you mean, I threw a lump of driftwood at it in anger a few weeks back to scare it away but hit itWacko. Felt guilty but at least it didn't pester me for the rest of the evening and it went away unhurt. Not been pestered since, not advocating through things at gulls but it makes you wonder if they have a memoryLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 8:18pm
fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just got back from a few hours fish on Whangaparoa peninsula.  ZERO FISH.  I picked up Kenshin who had been at Arkles bay with no luck and we went to a ledge between fishermans cove and Army bay.  All I caught were baitfish.  Lots of squid fishers showed up.
What is it about Whangaparoa, it looks like it should fish a lot better than it does.
Page  <1 678910 451>