Anyone fished in Niue recently?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lurcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone fished in Niue recently?
    Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 3:22pm
Lurcher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just wondering what the go is fishing in Niue can you pop for GT's or Jig/live bait for dogtooth? I read there are some land-based options?

If you take your own gear is it possible to hire locals as a bare boat as opposed to going on charters?

What are the charter operators like?

Can't seem to find much via google or even searching on here, also no posts on Niue (it's even spelt wrong as a subforum heading!) in the Pacific islands forums
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 7:58pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

never been there but would like to.

this is what i found on the net:

www.niueisland.com

www.niuetotal.com/attractions-fishing-ing.htm

www.divefishsnow.co.nz/fishing/niue/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 8:28pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are some LB options, you may have to ask some of the locals to show you how to get there, Willie Santelli at the washaway cafe would be the guy to talk to. The wharf at Alofi has some Bluefin trevally at times, spinning with silver hex wobblers can catch them. The look out  is another place that is easy to access. It is steep. Red Bass, GTs, blue fin trevs, queenfish, gold spot trevs and sharks. I dont know if there are any bare baot ops, but there are 1 or 2 charters. From what I have heard, very few if any GTs are caught on poppers there. Flying fish dead baits skipped have snagged some. The flying fish can be bought at the market. Red Bass may have cigutera poisoning. One spot which may be worth a go is the harbour entyrance to Avatele. We hooked a wahoo 80-100 meters from the entrance, an early morning spin (with wire trace) off a long cast may be worth a go (low tide).
Oh yeah, and also the rocks are pretty much old coral and so are super sharp. Be very careful, a small brush with a rock will end in much pain.......
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 9:45am
Ports View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I live here and fish here and the fishing is GREAT.
Wahoo is the most prolific, Yellow Fin and Mahi Mahi.  Sailfish were also prolific this season.  GT's and Dogtooth are around and can hit the poppers but seem to take the trolling.

Boats cant be hired with a skipper only.... all charters are happy to totally leave the style up to the fisherman.  There are 5 or 6 chaters avail most boats taking up to 3 fishos, 1 that can take 4 and 1 that can take up to 8.

with FADS all over the island there are plenty of options and most fishing is done only 100M from the reef as instantly into deep blue.  So landbased is also an option at low tide for a variety of species.

If viewing in NZ here are some recent TV shows showing the type of fishing available.

http://ondemand.tv3.co.nz/Season-7-Ep-10/tabid/59/articleID/993/MCat/132/Default.aspx

http://ondemand.tv3.co.nz/Outdoors-With-Geoff-Season-8-Ep-/tabid/59/articleID/1807/MCat/132/Default.aspx

http://ondemand.tv3.co.nz/Outdoors-With-Geoff-Season-8-Ep-/tabid/59/articleID/1808/MCat/132/Default.aspx
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lurcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 12:53pm
Lurcher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Ports

I am there over the xmas I have sent you a PM to ask you a few more questions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 1:33pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got any pics to share Ports?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apteryx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 3:58pm
Apteryx1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We (my partner and I, my partner just found out today that I organised a trip for the 2 of us for his 50th birthday today) and are going to Niue end of January.  Should we bring our own rods n reels, and what about terminal tackle, poppers and lures etc.  Finding it difficult to find much info.  My partner actually makes some of his own very good lures...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 6:56pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, bringing your own gear is a good idea. If you do a charter trip then they will have some gear, if you are wanting to do your own exploring and fishing you would have to take your own..there were no fishing gear supply shops there when I was there, I doubt it has changed......
I havent heard of GT's being caught by poppers in Niue for some strange reason, flying fish & live baits but not poppers. Bluefin trevs are taken on lures though...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lurcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 10:52am
Lurcher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I am there at the moment. I bought my own gear and hooked up with a local guy with a boat. I have caught plenty of yellowfin to 18kg trolling round the FAD (4 dawn trips), one small mahimahi and the guy with the boat bagged a wahoo the other morning. This is a pretty quiet time of year, best time for wahoo is winter, this is what everyone wants to catch, as it pulls the best coin. Haven't towed any bill fish lures, just chrome jetheads wire-rigged  for the 'hoo, small  bullethead skirts have been the go on the yellowfin till dawn breaks then it has been small soft plastics, I just ran out of theseCry .  Waiting for the weather to improve so I can get to the other side of the island to try some jigging/popping/bottom bouncing. Will let you know how that goes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 11:28am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the report Lurcher, a marlin was hooked on a jig at the FAD when I was there....my mates wife had it on briefly...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lurcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 10:12am
Lurcher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Heading home today. The sea never let up enough for a trip jigging and popping. Managed a further two trolling  trips, a bit wet and rough but managed to bag a 26kg gutted and gilled yellofin, best of the visit plus another 5 yellowfin 10-15kg and a few smaller ones. So happy with that given the conditions.

Enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of Niue, some nice safe swimming spots. Saw reasonable numbers of reef fish snorkelling but not a lot of coral here. It's a good place to spend a week or two, it's relatively inexpensive (at least at this time of year), aside from groceries once you get here , beer is $4.00 a can at the bars, you can get a bistro-type feed for $15.00  and the people are great. If you hire a motor bike, keep your speed down as the wasps will sting you if you hit them at >40 kphOuch mozzie numbers are low hereSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 10:28am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like a good trip, pity bout the weather, its certainly a place Id like to fish again....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apteryx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 1:05pm
Apteryx1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Oh cool...soudns awesome....another 3 weeks to go and we will be there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 4:54pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go see Brendon and Paul Pasisi and they will look after you. They are both very good operators and run a great operation up there. I'll try to dig out there contact details for you and send them through
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 7:46pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

get in touch with Brendon on [email protected] and he will look after you (I've just spoken to him). He's a great guy as is his brother Paul. Be prepared to catch loads of fish though!!! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apteryx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:53am
Apteryx1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just got back-definitely on my list for return trip.  We caught Jobfish, Bluefin Trevally, Wahoo, some sort of Ras, and another fish (looked like a "painted fish".  Only a couple of charter operators-we went with Willie, great guy with a 5.6 Senator.  Best to bring your own gear - esp wire trace for those sharp teeth. $350 for charter depart 6am for 5-6 hours for 2 persons, althou at a tight pinch, could do 3 persons.  They keep the fish, althou they are happy for you to take some for dinner back at resort.      
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 2:53pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice, we caught  wahoo with Willie, 8 & 15kg....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 9:49am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just an update to the details I posted earlier - I've just got an email updating the contact details for Niue Fishing Charters & Marine Services (Brendon Pasisi). 

His new addy is: [email protected] 

Brendon looked after me like family when I was up there earlier in the year. We fished out of his purpose built 6m Frewza and what an awesome and safe fishing machine... I'm sure others who have done trips with him will add in just how good an operator he is for both topwater, deepwater and spearfishing. 

Im already scheming about how I can get back up there to target some of those monster wahoo and yellowfin, and of course have another bash at those tasty as kulapu snapper :-)  Oh, and onshore is paradise too...so much to do, and put simply not enough time in the day/night to do it all. 

Here's the view from my cottage while I was up there...yellowfin tuna were crashing baitfish within 150m of the shore - made getting any work done pretty hard...

A very special place. 

If you are thinking of going up there I'd highly recommend dropping Brendon an email. He even helped me identify my accommodation :-) 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HugoMaclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 5:48pm
HugoMaclean View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Talk about digging up an old topic!

Just booked some flights there for the 28th nov - 4th dec.

Traveling by myself, armed topwater rods, jigging gear, gopros amd a drone. Really want to do some LBG stuff but would like to get out on a boat one day.

No accom booked yet so suggestions for that also?

Things to do? People to meet?

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Quick silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 7:13pm
Quick silver View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

looking forward to seeing you report Hugo. looking at heading over early next year.
Page  12>